Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 ... 119 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Scottish politics  (Read 26301 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1335 on: February 14, 2014, 09:16 PM »

Boogers I am not admitting I am wrong. Just can be bothered arguing with a smart arce anymore.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1336 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04 PM »

At the end of the day the people of Scotland will decide and hopefully it's a YES vote, so that Education and the NHS are protected north of the border and we can be fully governed by a government that we have voted in.  The Better Together Campaign are actually driving people towards a yes vote with their ridiculous scare mongering.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1337 on: February 15, 2014, 01:07 AM »

Why does England think that they are the only one's who should control the pound. When it comes to it Scotland could use the Scottish pound and Westminster could do nothing about it.We would like an agreement about the currency but if not we should go ahead and use the Scottish pound.

When you speak of England controlling the pound, are you referring to the UK democratically elected government?  Or are you talking about the Bank of England (which is for the whole of the UK)?  Slip of the keyboard I expect.

Just in case we aren't clear about the Bank of England:

The Bank of England is the central bank of the United Kingdom. Sometimes known as the “Old Lady” of Threadneedle Street, the Bank was founded in 1694, nationalised on 1 March 1946, and in 1997 gained operational independence to set monetary policy.

The financial crisis demonstrated the need for a new approach to financial regulation and major changes to the Bank came into force in April 2013. The Financial Services Act 2012 established an independent Financial Policy Committee (FPC), a new prudential regulator as a subsidiary of the Bank, and created new responsibilities for the supervision of financial market infrastructure providers.

The Financial Policy Committee (FPC) is charged with taking action to remove or reduce systemic risks with a view to protecting and enhancing the resilience of the UK financial system. The Committee has a secondary objective to support the economic policy of the Government.

The Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) is responsible for the supervision of banks, building societies and credit unions, insurers and major investment firms. In total the PRA regulates around 1,700 financial firms. The PRA’s role is defined in terms of two statutory objectives to promote the safety and soundness of these firms and – specifically for insurers – to contribute to the securing of an appropriate degree of protection for policyholders.

In promoting safety and soundness, the PRA focuses primarily on the harm that firms can cause to the stability of the UK financial system. A stable financial system is one in which firms continue to provide critical financial services to the economy – a precondition for a healthy and successful economy.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/Pages/home.aspx

I wonder why the SNP, sorry Yes Campaign, didn't think of that policy (we'll just print our own money)on currency? And what do you think happens in a currency union? Control is given to someone else.

It seems that the Scottish government/Yes campaign are going to continue to press for a currency union. No plan B then.
[ Last edit by Bevc February 15, 2014, 03:11 AM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1338 on: February 15, 2014, 01:14 PM »

As you don't live here anymore I don't think you are in a position to make any pronouncements about the yes/no vote. The people who live in Scotland will make that decision and not people who do not live in Scotland. As to the bank of England do not forget that Scots have a stake in that too. Or are we to be responsible for all the debt and none of the assets. Osborne, Milliband and Alexander have joined together to bully Scots, believe me that was a wrong step, Mr Cameron is gutless and is frightened to have a debate with Alex Salmond he us otherwise occupied. He is making sure he does not lose his seats in the flooded areas of the S.E. of England by promises he cannot keep saying that he will provide as much money as it takes to build new flood controls. The environment minister said that the budget had been greatly reduced to £400,0000 and 500 staff to be made redundant. Please let me know were you think the money will be coming from. There are going to be a lot of angry people down there. Plus would all this flooding been as bad if dredging had not been stopped.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1339 on: February 15, 2014, 02:23 PM »

@ Bevc.    Words, Words, Words.    How about Westminster's Plan B when Scotland votes Yes.     
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1340 on: February 15, 2014, 05:23 PM »

As you don't live here anymore I don't think you are in a position to make any pronouncements about the yes/no vote.

I find it hilarious, and a little saddening, that someone who literally lives on the other side of the planet knows more about the matter than you.

As to the bank of England do not forget that Scots have a stake in that too. Or are we to be responsible for all the debt and none of the assets.

What assets are you referring to?

Osborne, Milliband and Alexander have joined together to bully Scots

Osborne, Milliband and co have simply stated what will happen in the event of a yes vote. This is in rather stark contrast to the SNP, which seems to be content to wave it's hands and refuse to answer.

Plus would all this flooding been as bad if dredging had not been stopped.

Yes, probably.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1341 on: February 15, 2014, 05:28 PM »

We can be fully governed by a government that we have voted in.

Your complete inability to understand how democratic representation works makes me giggle. Thought exercise for you: what happens if a party with extreme views suddenly rises to prominence in an independent Scotland. One that promotes views you find abhorrent. What are you going to do? Campaign for independence from the rest of Scotland?

Which reminds me - wern't you one of the loonies campaigning against same sex marriage?

The Better Together Campaign are actually driving people towards a yes vote with their ridiculous scare mongering.

Evidence please.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1342 on: February 15, 2014, 06:20 PM »

Osborne, Milliband and co have simply stated what will happen in the event of a yes vote. This is in rather stark contrast to the SNP, which seems to be content to wave it's hands and refuse to answer.

That is their negotiating position -  the pound is a shared UK asset and they are not in a position to state anything categorically. An independent Scottish Government would clearly have a number of options but they have stated that they will be campaigning on retaining the pound and calling Osbornes bluff. Osborne is a politician , not an economist.  No economist has said that it can't happen, as far as I'm aware.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1343 on: February 15, 2014, 06:21 PM »

Keep it going, folks.    We are making boogers giggle and he is also finding some items hilarious.   As he always sounds as if he needs a good laugh that is good.    A reduction in bile in his posts may be forthcoming.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1344 on: February 15, 2014, 06:25 PM »

Keep it going, folks.    We are making boogers giggle and he is also finding some items hilarious.   As he always sounds as if he needs a good laugh that is good.    A reduction in bile in his posts may be forthcoming.

Lol, you sound like you need a good politics lesson.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1345 on: February 15, 2014, 06:31 PM »

Lol, you sound like you need a good politics lesson.

Please explain how you arrived at that conclusion.    Or is that just a soundbite - you are young and soundbites are popular with callow youth.   It does save you the bother of actually thinking things through and you hope it makes you appear more intelligent than you actually are.    It doesn't.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1346 on: February 15, 2014, 06:34 PM »

Please explain how you arrived at that conclusion.    Or is that just a soundbite - you are young and soundbites are popular with callow youth.   It does save you the bother of actually thinking things through and you hope it makes you appear more intelligent than you actually are.    It doesn't.

Please post things that aren't so hateful towards youth. Yawn.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1347 on: February 15, 2014, 06:35 PM »

That is their negotiating position -  the pound is a shared UK asset and they are not in a position to state anything categorically.

Incorrect. Scotland can retain the pound regardless but - and this is a big one - they won't be able to do so whilst retaining control of economic policy. This is exactly what caused so much trouble for the PIGS group in Europe during the last crisis.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1348 on: February 15, 2014, 06:39 PM »

Incorrect. Scotland can retain the pound regardless but - and this is a big one - they won't be able to do so whilst retaining control of economic policy. This is exactly what caused so much trouble for the PIGS group in Europe during the last crisis.
   Sorry, which part of my statement is incorrect?
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1349 on: February 15, 2014, 06:48 PM »

At the end of the day the people of Scotland will decide and hopefully it's a YES vote, so that Education and the NHS are protected north of the border and we can be fully governed by a government that we have voted in.  The Better Together Campaign are actually driving people towards a yes vote with their ridiculous scare mongering.
Every English person I speak to hopes for a yes vote.  They're sick of hearing about it.  Personally I don't care.  As my old mum used to say "you made the bed, now you lay in it, but don't come crying to me if it all goes wrong" and I agree.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 ... 119 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »