Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 256 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 60636 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #240 on: October 15, 2012, 11:37 PM »

Can I just point out that this thread is entitled Scottish Politics for a reason - i.e. to discuss the pros and cons of Scotland becoming independent.  It is not intended for an Elly/James/Veronica slanging match.  If the three of you want to persist in this then maybe you'd like to remove yourselves to Off-topic Discussions and leave this thread for those who want to have a serious debate on what is an extremely crucial issue for the future of this country.  However if you want to debate sensibly then feel free to stay on here and do so.

We're trying to debate sensibly. We didn't start the ****-slinging. We made reasonable responses to the claim that one must live in a country in order to offer an opinion on its politics.

Rather than reply to the counter-argument, Elly decided to be both insulting and evasive.

I had no intention of getting involved in a childish slagging match, but she seems intent on goading people who call her out on her nonsense.

Also, I'd ask that you respond to Veronica's earlier point that she does in fact plan to live in Scotland. Does she now have the right to express her opinion?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #241 on: October 15, 2012, 11:38 PM »

James and Elly, did you two shag or something?
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #242 on: October 15, 2012, 11:42 PM »

James and Elly, did you two shag or something?

Nope.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #243 on: October 15, 2012, 11:43 PM »

Nope.

What's all this bunny-boiler stuff about then? Think
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #244 on: October 15, 2012, 11:43 PM »

As far as I'm aware, Scottish citizens still boast free higher education for citizens so I'm not sure where it's not affordable as of right now if we're only discussing Scotland. What I'm saying is that there might be a loss of that if the funds that are used to subsidize that education are used for other purposes, ie, changing the structure of Scotland's political system.

Yeah..but whats the point of having free education if the general cost of living in scotland is too high for those same potential students to consider entering full time education...its merely a PR stunt to deflect from other governmental deficiencies.

I just don't believe governmental structure works under the current system.... I dont for one milli-second trust any of the political leaders associated with either the current regime.... or the proposed 'independant' one. My view is not anti british or anti english in nature. I just believe we are all brainwashed into making decisions within a set criteria defined by people I have no faith or trust in. Ive mentioned before the organisation that has the people in authority to make corrupt decisions without any regard for the majority people within any part of the UK. Voting for another freemason...is like shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic..
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #245 on: October 15, 2012, 11:43 PM »

I'd ask that you respond to Veronica's earlier point that she does in fact plan to live in Scotland. Does she now have the right to express her opinion?
I said earlier that she would have that right if she was planning to live here.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #246 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45 PM »

I don't know any Scots that will be voting 'yes'. I will be voting 'no'.

Hello Iona Red.   May I introduce myself?    I am a Yes voter.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #247 on: October 15, 2012, 11:57 PM »

Hiya. I was just talking about family, friends and colleagues.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #248 on: October 16, 2012, 01:03 AM »

I don't know any Scots that will be voting 'yes'. I will be voting 'no'.
Well get your votes on the poll at the top of the thread, if you haven't already done so. Smile

Incidentally I have two friends who will be voting Yes - and one of them is an Englishman who lives here.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #249 on: October 16, 2012, 01:04 AM »

CAN I JUST MENTION THAT THE POLL HAS BEEN SET UP SO THAT PEOPLE CAN AMEND THEIR VOTE TO REFLECT THE CHANGING OPINIONS WHICH WILL BE INEVITABLE AS THE YES/NO CAMPAIGNS PROGRESS.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #250 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43 AM »

Without really following this with much interest, a couple of probably dumb questions around the logistics of becoming independent rather than the politics of it which I don't feel qualified to enter into debate over.

Presumably with independence you'll no longer be British citizens so will have a new Scottish passport and lose the British one, so will Scotland then have to apply to be part of the European Union? I'm thinking things like visiting/living in other parts of Europe without visas and even crossing the border into England for instance. Surely after separating from Britain the same privileges can't be expected can they? Otherwise what's the point?

I also assume there will be a new Scottish currency (or perhaps adopting the Euro if entering the EU as its own country?) rather than continuing with the British one given Scotland would no longer be part of Britain? I know it's the same currency but with different pictures on the notes (something I didn't actually know about until I withdrew 200 pounds from an ATM in Fort William and different notes came out!) but I imagine someone will still say "but we already have Scottish money now."

[ Last edit by invisibleman18 October 16, 2012, 02:56 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #251 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06 AM »

Some of the questions you ask Alex were covered here:-

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/chit-chat/t23067/75/

And I'm sure that Mr Salmond (SNP) wants to keep the pound confused
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #252 on: October 16, 2012, 03:43 AM »

Alex & Bev  There are a lot of things that even the Scots, or non-Scots resident in Scotland, either don't understand or know about, so there's no shortage of questions which Alex Salmond and his party will have to address in order that the electorate will be able to make a fully informed decision on the issue come the referendum.

Of course many have already made up their minds but with an estimated 20% of the electorate being "undecided" and a considerable number, of whom I was one, who wanted the Devo-Max option having to rethink their decision, the Yes/No Campaigns are going to have their work cut out in persuading us which way to go, i.e. do we want total change or do we want to preserve the status quo.

And yes Bev, Salmond has insisted he wants to keep the pound as Scotland's currency since changing it to something else would almost ceretainly be a financial disaster.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #253 on: October 16, 2012, 07:48 AM »

Can I just ask, as a Welsh person who voted "yes" in our referendum and would like more legislative powers in Wales, even if you dislike/distrust  Salmond, is it not possible to separate him off and discuss the issues?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #254 on: October 16, 2012, 09:10 AM »

Lol...am I indeed? What I was referring to is that what is termed ' affordable education' is not affordable to the masses and the quality differential is rediculous....so we agree then. Your sh*t ...agrees with mine then?

Anyway moving on...I would vote for independence ..but if it means voting for another freemason or buddy of one....no thanks! I am not interested in voting for Salmond ...I am interested in complete seperation and independence from the political,judicial & financial corruption that exists....like i said earlier... I vote start again tho I doubt what will be proposed will be any diiferent to what has gone before if it involves the usual suspects.
Are you talking 'New World Order' or 'Illuminati' here? Just wondering!  Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 256 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »