Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 253 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 59353 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #900 on: April 27, 2013, 06:16 PM »

@Iluvandy
OMG must be true then shocking
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #901 on: April 27, 2013, 06:18 PM »

I have never once had a problem with Scottish notes since the early 1980s, although I'm prepared to believe they might still be regarded with suspicion in remote rural areas.  The RBS is now a UK bank anyway so there shouldn't be a problem with these ones, although it does seem ironic that they've threatened to pull out of Scotland should it become independent.  Presumably that would mean renaming the bank, which might pose problems since it was set up by Royal Charter (in 1727).
Scottish notes are still not accepted in many places down South.  My brother recently went to Cambridge and tried to pay for a meal with a Scottish note, and the restaurant wouldn't accept it.  There's something far wrong with that.  It just strikes me as nonsensical.  However, it is what it is, and this makes me laugh out loud - thank God for comedy and a sense of humour...

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #902 on: April 27, 2013, 09:08 PM »

lmao Don't see why they should refuse RBS notes though given that it's now a UK bank.

As for this 'coronation' nonsense, if the SNP want to keep the monarchy, which I have no objection to, then surely all that's required is for the Queen to change her title, given that she will no longer be Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, etc, etc.  And she can't call herself Elizabeth the Second where Scotland is concerned either.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #903 on: April 27, 2013, 09:18 PM »

I would support the idea of a Federal UK.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #904 on: April 28, 2013, 11:46 AM »

lmao Don't see why they should refuse RBS notes though given that it's now a UK bank.

As for this 'coronation' nonsense, if the SNP want to keep the monarchy, which I have no objection to, then surely all that's required is for the Queen to change her title, given that she will no longer be Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, etc, etc.  And she can't call herself Elizabeth the Second where Scotland is concerned either.

Does HM get a say in it at all? Think
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #905 on: April 28, 2013, 12:23 PM »

Does HM get a say in it at all? Think

No.   She is above politics.   
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #906 on: April 28, 2013, 12:40 PM »

Of course, I didn't think about that. Another query then, wouldn't she keep the same title or does the rest of the UK have to change its name? HM is head of State for NZ, amongst others, and has no different title as far as I am aware. Or would having a coronation significantly change that? Think
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #907 on: April 28, 2013, 12:58 PM »

Of course, I didn't think about that. Another query then, wouldn't she keep the same title or does the rest of the UK have to change its name? HM is head of State for NZ, amongst others, and has no different title as far as I am aware. Or would having a coronation significantly change that? Think

Who knows Bev?   I think it's a pretty daft idea but any kind of change throws up problems.    She can't be Elizabeth II of Scotland as there was never a first.    But there was never a first of GB & NI either yet she is the second.    confused    
[ Last edit by Iluvandy April 28, 2013, 01:15 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #908 on: April 28, 2013, 01:11 PM »

According to what I heard Scottish Bank notes are covered by the bank of England. So I do not know why some English people will not accept them. Scottish banks must deposit gold to cover them. I also think it daft for Scotland to have a queen or king if we go independent. The only royal I do admire is Princess Anne she is well liked in Scotland.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #909 on: April 28, 2013, 01:56 PM »

So I do not know why some English people will not accept them.

Many people in England wil have never seen a Scottish note. Given that they look quite different from English notes, it's easy to see why people would be suspicious of them - especially when you consider how easy it is to produce remarkably realistic looking forgeries at home using a commodity colour printer.

Scottish banks must deposit gold to cover them.

I'm fairly sure you just made that up.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #910 on: April 28, 2013, 02:27 PM »

Why don't we all just have the same notes like normal nations.  Whistle
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #911 on: April 28, 2013, 03:31 PM »

Many people in England wil have never seen a Scottish note. Given that they look quite different from English notes, it's easy to see why people would be suspicious of them - especially when you consider how easy it is to produce remarkably realistic looking forgeries at home using a commodity colour printer.

The suspicion preceded the commodity colour printer by a considerable period of time.   Also they wouldn't be likely to see them if they were not accepted.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #912 on: April 28, 2013, 05:08 PM »

No I did not make that up boogers I see you are back to being your usual obnoxious self.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #913 on: April 28, 2013, 05:59 PM »

The Bank of England website explains the situation http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/s_ni_faq.aspx 

As a retired bank cashier, I remember being quite careful when presented with Scottish and Irish notes.  It's very easy to spot a forged English note - not from the look of it, but from the feel of it - the raised print across the top of the note and of course you cannot tear through the metal strip.  As for trading with S&I notes, my understanding was always that it was ok to accept them, but if you present a £20 note to purchase an item for £10, then only an English £10 note can be given as change.  Said S&I notes must then be paid in to a Bank as deposit or exchange.

Ripping open a £5,000 pack of brand new notes was a lovely feel and aroma.  However, having to count out the same amount of notes paid in by a guy who worked in a local pet food factory where they packed raw tripe was vile.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #914 on: April 28, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Why on earth does Scotland have different notes when we all have the same currency? The mind boggles.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 253 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »