Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 1 Member and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 256 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 60267 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #960 on: July 09, 2013, 07:19 PM »

^^ I sincerely hope Andy leaves this alone. He has won many friend and getting into politics is a good way of losing some of them again. It's a lose-lose situation for him
Agree with you 100% Sid.  Politics should have no place in sport anyway.

However this is what he told The Scotsman on 31 March -

The World No 3 made his colourful intervention in the independence debate in a wide-ranging interview.

But although the Dunblane-raised sportsman did not indicate which way he will vote in next year’s referendum, he made clear that his head would rule his heart.

“You need to figure out what’s best for the country and then come to an opinion,” he said. “I want to read more about the issue. I don’t think you should judge the thing on emotion, but on what is best economically for Scotland. You don’t want to come to a snap decision and then see the country go tits up.

The thing is though that he won't even be able to vote because he's domiciled in London, a fact which seems to have escaped this newspaper, so all the more reason for him to keep his views to himself.  There's no need to stir the pot unnecessarily.

[ Last edit by Aileen July 09, 2013, 07:29 PM ] IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #961 on: July 09, 2013, 07:24 PM »

^^Quite right Aileen - leave the politics to the politicians
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #962 on: July 09, 2013, 07:26 PM »

I hope the referendum is not concluded as Scotland being independent, we are a pretty good team and Andy obviously feels comfortable representing Britain as he is, but even if we split, that is what he will do as he resides in our capital?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #963 on: July 09, 2013, 07:27 PM »

The very fact he's considering speaking out confirms he's against independence.  The British press would crucify him if he were to speak out in favour of independence  - it was bad enough with the world cup football thing a few years back.

The public reaction in both the UK and in Scotland to him being against independence would be OK but, overall, stay out of it Andy.

But maybe Andy realises Salmond is a complete plonker, and feels the need to say so.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #964 on: July 09, 2013, 07:36 PM »

The very fact he's considering speaking out confirms he's against independence.  The British press would crucify him if he were to speak out in favour of independence  - it was bad enough with the world cup football thing a few years back.

The public reaction in both the UK and in Scotland to him being against independence would be OK but, overall, stay out of it Andy.

But maybe Andy realises Salmond is a complete plonker, and feels the need to say so.
There is that aspect Mackem, which I wouldn't disagree with.

Fortunately Andy's a very sensible, level-headed young man, so I hope he will have the wisdom to keep his opinions to himself, even he isn't in favour of independence, which, as you say, is what he seems to be right now.  Anyway I don't see why he would want Scotland to become independent, given his English granny and girlfriend, not to mention the serious implications for the future of tennis in Scotland.  It's bad enough as it is in the UK as a whole.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 09, 2013, 07:49 PM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #965 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50 PM »

I hope the referendum is not concluded as Scotland being independent, we are a pretty good team and Andy obviously feels comfortable representing Britain as he is, but even if we split, that is what he will do as he resides in our capital?

Oh dear that sounds as bit like Rory Bremner's joke " The most important question in the referendum debate is "Who will get custody of Andy Murray?""    We could still be a team after independence Gangsta but we would be equal partners instead of a senior partner and a very junior partner.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #966 on: July 09, 2013, 07:52 PM »

The very fact he's considering speaking out confirms he's against independence.  The British press would crucify him if he were to speak out in favour of independence  - it was bad enough with the world cup football thing a few years back.

He probably realises David Cameron is a complete plonker also but is too polite to say so.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #967 on: July 09, 2013, 07:53 PM »

Well said Iluvandy are we going to be a junior partner for another 300 years.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #968 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00 PM »

He probably realises David Cameron is a complete plonker also but is too polite to say so.
Well, there is that - but I didn't see Cameron behaving like an arse trying to wave the Union Jack flag in the Royal Box to make cheap political publicity from Andy's triumph.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #969 on: July 09, 2013, 08:12 PM »

Well, there is that - but I didn't see Cameron behaving like an arse trying to wave the Union Jack flag in the Royal Box to make cheap political publicity from Andy's triumph.

No but he is there with the idea of a knighthood - too soon - and not right to mention it in public.
The intended viuctim should be sounded out in private and not made to look ungrateful and, dare I say it, a surly, dour Scot if he refuses.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #970 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14 PM »

Did anyone see Salmond waving the Saltire behind Cameron on Sunday during the celebrations? Pathetic stunt IMO - he ought to be above that sort of thing and I don't see how he can be taken seriously as a diplomat with this sort of thing going on. Stop using Andy's success to fuel your little crusade, Alex.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #971 on: July 09, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Cameron didn't raise the issue of a knighthood - he was asked the specific question by the press - what's he supposed to say? No? Another example of the press blowing stuff out of all proportion - something Andy's had lots of experience of!!
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #972 on: July 09, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Whoops, you beat me to it! Should have refreshed the page before I posted.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #973 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19 PM »

He may not have done that, but his comments after Andy's win were somewhat OTT, and I definitely got the impression that he was using this to promote the Better Together campaign.  It's sad really when sportspeople like Andy are in danger of becoming political pawns, but, as with Salmond, Cameron won't be pulling the wool over his eyes.  He's too worldly-wise now to be taken in by crap politicians, and I agree that Cameron should never have tried to put him on the spot by mentioning the knighthood, in public anyway.  Unfortunately, having read some of the comments below newspaper articles, it's been manna to the Murray haters.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 09, 2013, 08:25 PM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #974 on: July 09, 2013, 08:28 PM »

Andy may have been born in Glasgow but he didn't come up the Clyde in a banana boat.   Someone posted a brilliant cartoon with them all hanging on his back.    He will ignore them all.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 256 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »