Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 145 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 36035 times)
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 10:13 PM »

I think the SNP's support increases when there's a Tory government in Britain, Scotland never votes Tory but gets them as a government anyway hence the call for independence. As a Scot I would never vote SNP as I regard nationalism as dangerous. Having a love of one's country and being patriotic is one thing but nationalism is quite another. And of course the Blair/Brown right wing policies served to discredit the Labour Party so more votes for the SNP.
Enough already, I'm still watching Andy winning his first slam and hope he has the most fabulous time tomorrow.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 10:26 PM »

I thought i would post this as it may intrest some of you.If you havent seen it before.
Solarisastrology.blogspot,com/ By Paul Saunders.
2012 could finally be AM BREAKTHROUGH YEAR
Then underneath the posting of AM he goes on to predict what he thinks of Andys Novaks Feds and Raffas chances are of wining a slam next year.I wont tell you what he says,a very intresting read though.
I just typed Andy Murrays birth chart theres loads there but so far this is the only one iv read.
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 11:12 PM »

I think the SNP's support increases when there's a Tory government in Britain, Scotland never votes Tory but gets them as a government anyway hence the call for independence. As a Scot I would never vote SNP as I regard nationalism as dangerous. Having a love of one's country and being patriotic is one thing but nationalism is quite another. And of course the Blair/Brown right wing policies served to discredit the Labour Party so more votes for the SNP.
Enough already, I'm still watching Andy winning his first slam and hope he has the most fabulous time tomorrow.

I agree with your points about Tories and poor Labour policies assisting the SNP vote, but please, this cliched, student thinking, equating any form of nationalism with being right wing is a generalisation that is lazy and untrue, particularly in the case of the SNP and Alex Salmond.   
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 11:20 PM »

I didn't say the SNP was right wing, did I?
As for cliched, student thinking I am retired but take it as a compliment that you thought i was that young! Mind you, I suppose I have been a student of politics all of my life.....
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 11:43 PM »

I didn't say the SNP was right wing, did I?
As for cliched, student thinking I am retired but take it as a compliment that you thought i was that young! Mind you, I suppose I have been a student of politics all of my life.....

No, just that all nationalism is dangerous.  Feel free to take my comment as a compliment about your youth.  I can see why you failed to graduate.  Whistle
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 12:15 AM »

You certainly jump to conclusions don't you-and jump so quickly you read what you want to read into what I said. Away and watch some tennis and calm down. Oh by the way I am a graduate. Of Glasgow University.
Let's stick to tennis shall we?
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 12:23 AM »

I think it is obvious that Andy does not want to get hijacked by ANY party politics, we don't know who he votes for, and he is probably wise to keep it that way.  Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if he did vote for the SNP, and possibly support independence. Lots of people in Scotland do.

I don't think Andy can possibly vote for the SNP for the simple reason that his address is in Surrey therefore if/when he votes it would be for the constituency there. I think he would be very wise to stay out of the independence debate especially since he'll have no right to vote either way when the time comes.

Anyway to get back on topic hope we get to see some of the homecoming parade on the news tomorrow. I noticed a BBC Scotland programme on a couple of times over the Olympics called Sports Nation which of course featured Andy heavily. I wonder if they could put on a special programme celebrating Andy's career to date (though it would better if national BBC could show it)? It could be updated as required with future achievements.  Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 12:31 AM »

I voted for the SNP because of their policies in general and what they have delivered to make Scotland better, but independence is a separate issue and the majority of SNP supporters have the wit to see that it would be disastrous for Scotland.  Salmond is indeed a great political leader but he isn't going to be around forever, and quite frankly there's no other member of the SNP who comes anywhere near him.  With regard to nationalism, this is only dangerous if it gets out of control, and that is very unlikely to happen here.  In fact I'd go as far as to say that the Welsh Nats are more of a threat than the Scots.

Anyway it's rather sad to see this issue being discussed on a thread which should be focussed on Andy's incredible achievements.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 16, 2012, 12:42 AM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 12:37 AM »

Are we done talking about politics yet, ?  yawn         This is about one man only.  One man who finally won a GS,  who proved all his doubters wrong.  Have a great day in Dunblane Andy.  Have a great time for all who is going.  It will be a very emotional  day.   

Well said John. Wish you could go, and I'd love to read your report. I was so close to the London Olympic parade it almost ran over my toes. It was fabulous, but Andy in Dunblane will be very special.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 05:36 AM »

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe andy is staying away because he feels him being there now would over shadow the achievements if the other athletes.  By doing it this way they will still have there parade and get the acknowledgement they deserve and andy goes where the heart is which is where he should be. Win Win if you ask me. 
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51 AM »

This IS the wrong place to discuss politics but I can't resist asking if British nationalism is also dangerous.   There has been a lot of it on show this summer.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 12:35 PM »

In no way would I every vote Tory. We have a Tory/Lib Dem Govt and Scotiand has only returned one Tory to Westminster. I think this should tell a lot about what people up here think. I am for a Federal UK with all countries having their own powers to rule. With those extra powers that are required I think Scotland would be happy. Westminster would make decisions about the army and foreign policy this I think would be a good solution. It seems to work well in Australia.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 06:18 PM »

This IS the wrong place to discuss politics but I can't resist asking if British nationalism is also dangerous.   There has been a lot of it on show this summer.
Why should it be dangerous?  High time the British did show more nationalist spirit.  There are so many foreigners living in the UK now, and some who even want to adhere to their own laws whilst living here, that Britain has been fast losing its sense of Britishness.  The PC brigade are constantly falling over themselves to please ethnic groups.  Why?  If any one of us went to live, say, in the Middle East, we'd be expected to toe the line or suffer the consequences.  When in Rome, etc, should apply to them too.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 06:22 PM »

Can we move politics to another thread please Moderators.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 06:30 PM »

Can we move politics to another thread please Moderators.

Yeah Robbie.

With the utmost respect to my friends at MW, this is clearly a hot issue for debate, and everyone is entitled to their say, but please not on Andy's Triumphant Thread.

Please.. Heart
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 145 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »