Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 3 Members and 17 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 203 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 45532 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #180 on: October 15, 2012, 04:59 PM »

I love my culture - but to be stuck in a mindset that holds me back and does not allow me to embrace othera? No thanks. That's why I'm always better together!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #181 on: October 15, 2012, 05:08 PM »

I understrand you're American, so unless you want to come and live here permanently, what interest do you have in the future of Scotland, and just how much exactly do you know about Scottish politics or what the true state of affairs here is?  You can certainly get information from the media and your friends here, but I can do the same with US affairs, only I wouldn't consider myself an expert enough to make a judgemental comment, merely a reasonably informed on-looker.

Exactly.... and its not like their citizens have made great voting choices historically.... pot, kettle & black rings true iin terms of their current financial predicaments...and Im Scottish but have lived in US for some time...equally have family in Scotland who I go see regularly so Im up on what is happenning in both places.
[ Last edit by ABF October 15, 2012, 05:12 PM ] IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #182 on: October 15, 2012, 05:10 PM »

I think its sad when people only look at the financial drawbacks of change. Would be a better place if we could weigh up the longer term pros & cons
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #183 on: October 15, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Salmond is passionate about Scotland, and his government have introduced policies that have made my life significantly easier. That's why I voted for them last time around.

As for independence, I would presently vote No, but I'm certainly looking forward to hearing the proposals and an informed debate on the issue.
Same goes for me Andrew.  I was in favour of Devo-Max but now that that option has been removed my thinking is going to have to change one way or the other.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #184 on: October 15, 2012, 05:16 PM »

I'd be really interested in a poll here, just for Scottish members. I know it'd be too small to draw any conclusions, but still interesting.
My feeling is it'd be a "yes" vote.
I don't know how to add a poll to topics, but I think there will be several shifts of opinion over the next two years, so what might apply now might well be different in 6, 12, 18 months down the line.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #185 on: October 15, 2012, 05:22 PM »

Always find it funny when people from England argue that Scotland would be a financial wasteground if they were not governed from England. Really?? Why did you fight for Scottish land then? Money or you just love us soo much? lol
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #186 on: October 15, 2012, 05:24 PM »

I think its sad when people only look at the financial drawbacks of change. Would be a better place if we could weigh up the longer term pros & cons
If Scotland does go for independence I sure hope all and sundry realise the implications.  I know for sure I won't live here if it happens.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #187 on: October 15, 2012, 05:29 PM »

I understrand you're American, so unless you want to come and live here permanently, what interest do you have in the future of Scotland, and just how much exactly do you know about Scottish politics or what the true state of affairs here is?  You can certainly get information from the media and your friends here, but I can do the same with US affairs, only I wouldn't consider myself an expert enough to make a judgemental comment, merely a reasonably informed on-looker.

Actually, I do plan on moving there, not that it is any of your damn business. I've also been to the country multiple times now, not that it should matter either. Frankly, I never touted myself as an expert, so thanks for putting words in my mouth. I simply know what I have read from the media, from academic sources, and from experts who deal with the EU and the UK as institutions.

Where do you get your information from? Would you have known that Alex Salmond and David Cameron were meeting from anywhere BUT the media? Would you know what was going on in other parts of Scotland if it weren't for the media as well?

IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #188 on: October 15, 2012, 05:30 PM »

Financial drawbacks are long-term.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #189 on: October 15, 2012, 05:33 PM »

If Scotland does go for independence I sure hope all and sundry realise the implications.  I know for sure I won't live here if it happens.

Yeah of course.... major decisions require optimum info to make the call.
At the moment....if Scotland does go for independence I'd strongly consider moving back. I know many ex-pats who feel the same. Maybe thats what'll happen ..lol... the homies move out ..the ex-pats move back. It all depends of the conditions and agreements that are locked in place tho.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #190 on: October 15, 2012, 05:34 PM »

Financial drawbacks are long-term.

Until their not...

Mismanagement is a drawback ...until it isnt....so is finance. The drawbacks are long term when the 1% hang onto their assests and let everyone else suffer. I'd like to vote for a government who actually have a set of balls and make a fair society.... so maybe ripping up and starting again for Scotland is the best for long term
[ Last edit by ABF October 15, 2012, 05:39 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #191 on: October 15, 2012, 05:38 PM »

Yeah, you are.

I gather that half the people in Scotland aren't even informed as to what's going on with politics and the possible implications of independence versus staying in the UK. Living in a country doesn't automatically make you informed of anything - studying and paying attention does.
I'm not sure what actually makes you qualified to even have a comment here.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #192 on: October 15, 2012, 05:40 PM »

Until their not...

Ouch. Painful.

Scotland only needs to look at Iceland or Ireland to see what the likely future of its economy lies. Both countries are still reeling from their boom and bust cycles. Joining the EU and the euro is unlikely, especially with such instability from Greece and Spain - not to mention that the EU has pretty much said that new members are off the table now - and there's no precedent for a former part of an EU member automatically joining. It would require all current member states to agree to a new member joining and who knows what kind of relationship England + Scotland will have by the end of this? Also, there's no guarantee of an opt-out for Scotland for the Euro in the first place, since it didn't have legal personality when opt outs occurred, so it never technically opted out (International Law is **** like that). So where does that leave Scotland? Join the EU, get a safety net, and be possibly forced to join the Euro? Or float around like Iceland and then have something disastrous happen, without a safety net at all?

IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #193 on: October 15, 2012, 05:41 PM »

I'm not sure what actually makes you qualified to even have a comment here.

I'm going to keep posting. You don't like it, you can shut it.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #194 on: October 15, 2012, 05:43 PM »

Well I would hope to think so.  Nothing like experiencing things first hand to have an informed opinion. Any other opinion could not possibly be based on any experience of having it first hand - or am I being dense?

So you have no opinion on Mitt Romney or George Bush, presumably?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 203 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »