Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 ... 256 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 62008 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #675 on: October 29, 2012, 05:59 AM »

People can disagree without falling out can't they? confused
These issues need discussing, they're a bit important aren't they Whistle
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #676 on: October 29, 2012, 06:39 AM »

The situation is indeed dire and extremely serious Zar.   It is my belief that Caz has kidnapped Andy and could well be having her wicked way with him even as we speak.

I think we should reconvene on the other thread to discuss this most serious situation and endeavour to find a solution.

Nah!  nah  I have no desire to do anything more to Andy than give him a pat on the head and a motherly hug!  Maybe if I was 30 years younger though!  Whistle
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #677 on: October 29, 2012, 07:41 AM »

Exactly what I thought BBH! It would be such a shame to close this interesting thread! Surely we can disagree without carrying it over onto other threads.......We are adults after all......at least most of us are!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #678 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03 AM »

The Scottish government has already shown itself to be utterly incompetent in every major project is has undertaken from the ridiculous Parliament building itself to the disastrous Edinburgh trams . Free care for the elderly is nothing of the sort Billions are being poured into new construction of houses and offices which nobody can afford and nobody needs, while existing stock falls into  disrepair. Free University fees means paying foreign students  take all the places at our Universities. Scotland's greatest success story in recent years - RBS????Businesses in the private sector can't get finance and are going under every day while Alex appoints more and more quangos and advisers at public expense to tell him what to do. Don't worry if you have lost your job, your pension and your children have no future - they can ride bikes like Sir Chris Hoy and all will be well. Only one in four Scottish graduates has a job but Salmond this summer has graced with his magnificent presence  the Scottish cup final, the Scottish and British golf opens, Wimbledon, the Olympic Games, the US Open and the Ryder Cup. It's a hard life running Scotland. He thinks parades and presentations are the solution with his face plastered over everything. Why do we need independence? A huge majorityactually didn't vote for devolution but the massive vanity and expense of it was foisted on us anyway. England and Scotland have been one nation since 1603, We are not oppressed in any way shape or form, we are subsidised by our generous neighbours who are understandably hurt by the move for separation. The very last thing this shrinking world needs is rabid nationalism , tartan flag waving etc etc. and more meddling politicians. The very fact he is holdng the vote on the anniversary of Bannockburn should tell the world what a nazi Alex Salmond is. We should all be very afraid. England should prepare for a mass influx of Scots in 2014 when the bankrupt state controlled horror of an SNP independent Scotland is revealed.  nervous
'we are subsidised by our generous neighbours'........********! That's exactly the kind of comment that could easily turn a 'no' voter to a 'yes' voter!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #679 on: October 29, 2012, 08:08 AM »

Apart from the fact that I've already told you the SNP had nothing to do with the parliament building (which was largely Donald Dewar's doing) or the trams (which they never wanted in the first place), I do agree with that part of your post, although I certainly would never call Salmond a Nazi!  A devious manipulator, yes.  The effects of independence too won't be felt for some time - years in fact - because it's going to take that long for all the issues to be sorted out, some of them very complex, before an independent Scotland would be up and running.  Also, to add to what you say about the 1603 regal union, Scotland already enjoys a fair degree of independence.  We have our own church, legal and education systems, all of which were enshrined in the 1707 Treat of Union.  Scotland an oppressed nation?  I don't think so.  By the way, if polls are to be believed, 28% of our 'generous neighbours' would be delighted to get the leech which they perceive Scotland to be off their backs. Whistle

That's 72% that don't Very Happy

yes I'd like to discuss them, even though I'm an outsider.  There are things that I can't find that remain unanswered. search

I'm trying to find out about students for a start.  It was something both my student son and I were actually discussing tonight at home. Think
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #680 on: October 29, 2012, 11:37 AM »

For once I agree with you Aileen about our generous neighbours. If that is how they perceive us fine. They won't worry then about Scotland becoming independent. So why all the fuss about this from many of them.
It appears we just cannot win either way.It is time they stopped all the crap. We pay our way in one way or another. It is time for many of them to get off their high horses and stop telling us that they pay for us. Scots contribute to the UK economy as do the Welsh and the Irish oh and of course the English.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #681 on: October 29, 2012, 11:51 AM »

For once I agree with you Aileen about our generous neighbours. If that is how they perceive us fine. They won't worry then about Scotland becoming independent. So why all the fuss about this from many of them.
It appears we just cannot win either way.It is time they stopped all the crap. We pay our way in one way or another. It is time for many of them to get off their high horses and stop telling us that they pay for us. Scots contribute to the UK economy as do the Welsh and the Irish oh and of course the English.
It wasn't Aileen who said it LB!
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #682 on: October 29, 2012, 11:54 AM »

28% feel that way. Hardly a majority.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #683 on: October 29, 2012, 12:31 PM »

Sorry I thought it was Caz.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #684 on: October 29, 2012, 07:17 PM »

Exactly what I thought BBH! It would be such a shame to close this interesting thread! Surely we can disagree without carrying it over onto other threads.......We are adults after all......at least most of us are!
It seems some people can't disagree without falling out, but this issue has such huge implications not only for Scotland but for the whole of the UK that it merits serious discussion, even if folk do get a bit heated at times - and let's face it, at least passion shows that we care, and care very much.

That's 72% that don't Very Happy
28% feel that way. Hardly a majority.
I was really having a bit of a dig at MT here. Smile  It is undeniable though that there are some English people who resent the fact that 'their' money is subsidising Scotland whilst apparently over-looking the fact these pro rata subsidies are also paid to Wales and N Ireland, together with the fact that England itself gets the lion's share of this public funding, which again is divided into regions on a pro rata basis.  Also if recent polls are to be believed, then only 33% of Scots are in favour of independence - and that's hardly a majority either!

However it occurs to me that these blinkered individuals, who would probably vote Yes were England to have a say in the matter, should have a long hard think about the impact independence would have on the rest of the UK before so glibly wishing to say goodbye to Scotland.

yes I'd like to discuss them, even though I'm an outsider.  There are things that I can't find that remain unanswered. search

I'm trying to find out about students for a start.  It was something both my student son and I were actually discussing tonight at home. Think
Bev I think you've raised more questions than anyone else has done on here.  You've certainly had me hunting for answers on more than one occasion! 

As for myself, I want to know how the State Pension would work in an independent Scotland.  Would we get the same as we get now, or would we be better off?  As far as I know nothing has been said on this matter, but given that a good proportion of the electorate are pensioners, I think it's time we were given an idea of what the plans are for this.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #685 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10 PM »

Apart from the fact that I've already told you the SNP had nothing to do with the parliament building (which was largely Donald Dewar's doing) or the trams (which they never wanted in the first place), I do agree with that part of your post, although I certainly would never call Salmond a Nazi!  A devious manipulator, yes.  The effects of independence too won't be felt for some time - years in fact - because it's going to take that long for all the issues to be sorted out, some of them very complex, before an independent Scotland would be up and running.  Also, to add to what you say about the 1603 regal union, Scotland already enjoys a fair degree of independence.  We have our own church, legal and education systems, all of which were enshrined in the 1707 Treat of Union.  Scotland an oppressed nation?  I don't think so.  By the way, if polls are to be believed, 28% of our 'generous neighbours' would be delighted to get the leech which they perceive Scotland to be off their backs. Whistle
28% is remarkably low meaning 72% still value the union.  The point about trams and parliament buildings was that no scottish givernment of any hue has managed to succesfully pull off any major project. Salmond , crap as he is,  is probably the least incompetent one we have had - remember Henry Mcleish?!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #686 on: October 30, 2012, 03:28 AM »

28% is remarkably low meaning 72% still value the union.  The point about trams and parliament buildings was that no scottish givernment of any hue has managed to succesfully pull off any major project. Salmond , crap as he is,  is probably the least incompetent one we have had - remember Henry Mcleish?!!
McLeish should have become a football manager, not a First Minister.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, if recent polls are to be believed, only 33% of Scots want independence, so that means that 67% are either in favour of keeping the union or are undecided.  According to Salmond though 20% are undecided (and that probably includes a fair number who simply aren't interested), so that would mean only 47% definitely favour the union.  Of course it's this 20% that he's hoping to convert to the idea of independence.  Pigs might fly!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #687 on: October 30, 2012, 07:06 AM »

Well, I don't know about Salmond, but you two are doing a fair job of converting me. Being Scottish, I wouldn't want to be subsidised by anyone and living in England, I wouldn't want to subsidise anyone who appears to have more money than me, so it's a win win situation. I'm changing my vote to 'yes'!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #688 on: October 30, 2012, 08:26 AM »

There is lots of conflicting information out there Aileen and trying to get a straight answer from any of the parties is hard so I'm finding it better to go to an impartial source for some information. From what I can see on the SAAS site, it's cost £100m to fund the EU students in the last financial year and I don't think that there is any loophole that the Scottish Government can find to halt this.

Pensions is another grey area. Someone mentioned that you get varying answers from economists but you try and get a politician to give you a straight answer. The SNP have had the referendum at the top of their agenda for a number of years now, so you would think that they would have some idea how things are going to pan out. The impression that they give at times is that they are going to wing it, which I'm sure isn't what they want to do.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #689 on: October 30, 2012, 09:04 AM »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron-on-recruitment-drive-to-back-1407535

Interesting key questions Think
[ Last edit by Bevc October 30, 2012, 09:25 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 ... 256 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »