Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 ... 132 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 31902 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #735 on: December 02, 2012, 07:50 PM »

Below is part of an answer regarding state pensions on the YesScotland website. Is it me but isn't it a bit presumptuous with that first remark?

In 2016 you will elect the first independent government for Scotland. Each party will put forward a manifesto, which will include proposals on pensions and the welfare state (just like happens now in UK general elections). Those manifestos could include policies like increasing the state pension or could seek to amend current UK proposals to change the state pension age. You will be able to vote for the party you think has the best proposals for you and for Scotland.

http://www.yesscotland.net/answers_to_your_questions_on_pensions_and_an_independent_scotland

Also, would it REALLY be that easy with the pensions? That basically the people receiving them won't notice, that everything would switch smoothly? Think
What's new?  The SNP have been presumptuous right from the start of their campaign.  This is cloud cuckoo-land stuff.  For instance, just when exactly is "Day One of an independent Scotland"?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #736 on: December 03, 2012, 12:05 AM »

Ah, but if 'we' had said something like that naughty  I think somethink that it will be the next day, when quite clearly, should that day happen, it will be some years after the vote.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #737 on: December 03, 2012, 03:36 AM »

I think some think that it will be the next day, when quite clearly, should that day happen, it will be some years after the vote.
But this is exactly what the SNP are counting on - that those of the electorate who want, or who are leaning towards, independence will be daft enough to believe that this will come overnight and that - hey presto! - everything will fall into place immediately.  I can't believe that any Yes voter could be that stupid, although from what I've read on here there does seem to be an element of thinking that everything will be a bed of roses not long after the referendum result is announced.  Basically the SNP are afraid of making any suggestion that independence could take a very long time to actually come into force in case it puts undecided voters off the idea.

I'm sure that the SNP must be in breach of something over their 'marketing' of independence just as advertisers can fall foul of the Advertising Standards Authority for being less than truthful or making misleading claims when advertising products or services, but then the SNP is a political party and it seems politicians can tell you anything they like and get away with it.

Truly the more I hear and read from this party on this issue the more ludicrous they become.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #738 on: December 10, 2012, 05:19 AM »

The Scottish government has insisted an independent Scotland would remain in the EU, despite reports suggesting the country would have to reapply.

Finance Secretary John Swinney told the BBC membership was not in question, but negotiations on detail would be needed.

He spoke after a report in The Scotsman newspaper said the European Commission had confirmed in a letter that a go-alone Scotland would have to reapply.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20623103

Now I've just caught the end of Hardtalk on BBC World, and José Manuel Barroso (President of the European Commission) talking on there and whilst he wouldn't talk about specific countries, he conceded that a country like Scotland would have to reapply.

Who's right then?  dontknow
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #739 on: December 10, 2012, 03:38 PM »

So the people of Catalonia are in the same boat Aileen ? are the stupid too ? No I don not think people in Scotland believe that everything would fall into place at once. It may take up to two years. Yes there will be problems but no one has said it will be simple.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #740 on: December 11, 2012, 01:51 AM »

The Scottish government has insisted an independent Scotland would remain in the EU, despite reports suggesting the country would have to reapply.

Finance Secretary John Swinney told the BBC membership was not in question, but negotiations on detail would be needed.

He spoke after a report in The Scotsman newspaper said the European Commission had confirmed in a letter that a go-alone Scotland would have to reapply.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20623103

Now I've just caught the end of Hardtalk on BBC World, and José Manuel Barroso (President of the European Commission) talking on there and whilst he wouldn't talk about specific countries, he conceded that a country like Scotland would have to reapply.

Who's right then?  dontknow
From the Scotsman online today - http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-new-setback-for-snp-over-eu-membership-as-jose-manuel-barroso-blocks-automatic-entry-1-2683922

Personally I'd say that Mr Barroso is right, but as you saw from that article Alex Salmond or his deputy have been told by the UK government to come clean on the issue by making a statement in the chamber (presumably at Westminster) rather than sitting in Edinburgh maintaining that the whole thing is a scaremongering 'black ops' by the anti-independence lobby.

Yet another chip in the credibility of the SNP, I fear - and I've finally got round to cancelling my monthly donation, tiny though it is, to that party in general. Whistle
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #741 on: December 11, 2012, 11:15 AM »

José Manuel Barroso peed on the SNP's parade a tad didn't he.

The Scottish Government have now written to the EC to discuss this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20675705

It's interesting to note that Croatia applied to join the EU in 2003 and were granted candidate status in 2005 with negotiations taking a lot longer than thought as Slovenia wanted some issues sorting first.  They should be granted EU membership in 2013.

I've also read somewhere that Spain could veto any Scottish membership, just to throw out a warning to Catalunya.  Although recent election results there peed on someone else's parade!

Now I've also read that the Scottish government don't want to be compared with any other country, unless it suits them I guess Whistle
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #742 on: December 11, 2012, 12:38 PM »

From what I have seen from this Tory/Lib Dem government in London they want out of the EU. Perhaps the Lib Dems are more pro european. Right wingers if they get there way will vote to take UK out of the European Union. Scotland on the other hand wants to remain a member. Personally I hope they do then the people in Scotland will see just how much we should get rid of those Tories. Who are we going to trade with when they take us out of Europe. The Commonwealth countries ? I do not think they have much trade with UK now. So just to please those Tory Little Englanders we are going to lose our trade with Europe who will we trade with ? so far it looks like we are losing trade with the world our manufacturing base is declining so much we will end up as a third world country. Yet on the new yesterday this UK government is willing to spend over one billion pounds for a new nuclear sub. Thousands of disabled people are losing their jobs, there are no jobs for them to go to. This government will sent them to be assessed by a company called Atos who turn round and say they are fit to work.What are they going to live of. Benefits are being cut to the bone it will be a decision to heat the house or to eat. With thousands of people unemployed and little chance of full time work even the able bodied will find it a struggle. This is what a Tory government has done to this country the Tory party has not changed at all and poor people are worse of than they have ever been whilst the rich continue to prosper and avoid paying taxes.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #743 on: December 20, 2012, 07:42 AM »

Oil revenues to be increasingly erratic and Scotland's financial position to slide by 2014. So says a respected Scottish think tank.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #744 on: December 21, 2012, 07:08 PM »

We need someone like this in Scottish politics.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #745 on: December 21, 2012, 07:28 PM »

The idea of anyone in Scottish politics who would  (humbly!!!!)  seek support in that manner is hilarious. My redneck cliche card was full within a couple of minutes. It wouldn't surprise me if he got the nomination and went on to win the vote.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #746 on: December 22, 2012, 08:21 PM »

Oil revenues to be increasingly erratic and Scotland's financial position to slide by 2014. So says a respected Scottish think tank.
"The Nationalists would have you believe that everything in a separate Scotland could be paid for by establishing an oil fund”.  Quite.  All that the SNP and independence supporters have ever prattled on about is Scotland's wonderful oil reserves which will apparently never run out.  I think somebody else has just rained on the SNP's parade. Whistle

lmao  You just have to be joking James.  The guys a histrionic nutter!  He barely lasted 2 minutes with me.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #747 on: December 22, 2012, 08:34 PM »

"The Nationalists would have you believe that everything in a separate Scotland could be paid for by establishing an oil fund”.  Quite.  All that the SNP and independence supporters have ever prattled on about is Scotland's wonderful oil reserves which will apparently never run out.  I think somebody else has just rained on the SNP's parade. Whistle 

In fairness, the SNP have been buying big into Scotlands capacity for renewables - notwithstanding all the onshore wind turbine controversy, this is very prudent in terms of energy security and technological innovation for engineers in our universities
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #748 on: December 23, 2012, 01:11 AM »

From what I have seen from this Tory/Lib Dem government in London they want out of the EU. Perhaps the Lib Dems are more pro european. Right wingers if they get there way will vote to take UK out of the European Union. Scotland on the other hand wants to remain a member. Personally I hope they do then the people in Scotland will see just how much we should get rid of those Tories. Who are we going to trade with when they take us out of Europe. The Commonwealth countries ? I do not think they have much trade with UK now. So just to please those Tory Little Englanders we are going to lose our trade with Europe who will we trade with ? so far it looks like we are losing trade with the world our manufacturing base is declining so much we will end up as a third world country. Yet on the new yesterday this UK government is willing to spend over one billion pounds for a new nuclear sub. Thousands of disabled people are losing their jobs, there are no jobs for them to go to. This government will sent them to be assessed by a company called Atos who turn round and say they are fit to work.What are they going to live of. Benefits are being cut to the bone it will be a decision to heat the house or to eat. With thousands of people unemployed and little chance of full time work even the able bodied will find it a struggle. This is what a Tory government has done to this country the Tory party has not changed at all and poor people are worse of than they have ever been whilst the rich continue to prosper and avoid paying taxes.
Don't think anyone is suggesting that GB comes out of the common market - trade will continue but we will not have to contribute to the big gravy train of European politics and will not be regulated from Europe. I think that is the preference of most people in UK.  Quite agree about the nuclear sub - waste of money, Don't agree that the financial crisis is down to the Tories though. It was the fault of New Labour , Tony Blair and his rich chums.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #749 on: December 23, 2012, 02:31 AM »

Don't think anyone is suggesting that GB comes out of the common market - trade will continue but we will not have to contribute to the big gravy train of European politics and will not be regulated from Europe. I think that is the preference of most people in UK.  Quite agree about the nuclear sub - waste of money, Don't agree that the financial crisis is down to the Tories though. It was the fault of New Labour , Tony Blair and his rich chums.
Well said, but what I would like to know is how LB and fellow supporters of independence think Scotland can wriggle out of this mess.  She mentions the thousands of unemployed who are unable to find jobs, but this applies to the whole of the UK and not just Scotland where unemployment figures have risen recently, albeit slightly.  1,700 employees of Halls of Broxburn alone have now been made redundant.  True, the Scottish government set up a local Work Fair which these employees were invited to attend, but only 25 so far have managed to find alternative employment this way.  Alex Salmond cannot wave a magic wand and conjure up jobs where there are no jobs to be had, and in fact the situation could become a lot worse should the outcome of the referendum be Yes.  Halls suffered because it was owned by a Dutch company and the uncertainty caused by a Yes vote may well have the effect of making other foreign companies withdraw their investment in Scotland.  The Royal Bank too has threatened to pull out of this country should it become independent.  Good riddance to bad rubbish, but unfortunately a considerable number of job losses will follow.

Incidentally, the SNP may not want the nuclear sub in Scotland, but at least building it would create several hundred jobs in the short term.
[ Last edit by Aileen December 23, 2012, 03:01 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 ... 132 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »