Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 119 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Scottish politics  (Read 25948 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #765 on: February 10, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Eyebrow raise.  So the Westminster government is a haven of purity and positivity? Rolling Eyes   At least the Scottish government has done a lot for Scotland, which is more than can be said for Westminster, who's done f*** all for Britain as a whole - which doesn't mean that I'm in favour of independence, just more powers for Holyrood.

I spent half hour on the phone the other day with a member of the SNP who was trying to convince me that this was the way forward.  Not only did she keep repeating herself like a broken record but she couldn't give me a single satisfactory answer to questions I put to her when I asked for clarification about a few things.  It seems though that all will be revealed 'in the autumn of this year'.  The number of those who initially were in favour of independence is falling, so it's a bit late that, surely, if the 'Yes' campaign hopes to entice the strayed sheep back to the fold and convince undecided voters that this is the way they should vote?

Also this idea that independence can take place so soon after the Referendum should Scots vote in favour of it is nonsense.  Do they seriously think that everything can be resolved in what is really a very short space of time where so many issues would be involved?

Reading through the Electoral Commissions review, I'm sure I read that both pros and cons of independence should be listed, but I couldn't see that skimming back through. 

My view is that the SNP won't want to list any cons and will leave that for the UK (Westminster) government, therefore the UK government (Westminster) will always come across as being the negative ones.  Both sides should list the pros and cons as they see it and be prepared for these things to be challenged.

He is also burying his head in the sand and refuses to take part in talks about independence and the person doing the all the talk for them is a Lib Dem Michael Moore, who has no power at all.If they will not talk about it now when will they. A lot needs to be discussed and they are quite happy to let it all hang out. Just shows how well prepared they are if Scots vote yes.

Would you discuss a 'divorce' settlement before it's been agreed upon?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #766 on: February 10, 2013, 07:42 PM »

Bevc I know its not the right thread but I was thinking about the watch question again. The correct name is Solar waveceptor watches controlled by signals from the atomic clock. Casio is not the only one but are probably the cheapest. I checked ebay again there are a lot with an analog face not just digital.

Thanks for the info LB.

I think it was Seiko that I found with hands on.  Casio were the cheaper ones but all digital.  I will have to look at costs involved in posting to NZ goodjob
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #767 on: February 10, 2013, 07:59 PM »

I confess that I know very little about the high speed rail network proposals but what I have read is that it's going to be dealt with in 2 phases and that north of Leeds and Manchester (ie Cumbria & Scotland) would be in that 2nd phase.  Newcastle is already on a high speed line - east coast mainline.

I also found this:-

Construction along the line is due to start in 2017 and be completed by 2025. The first train services will run between London and Birmingham from 2026.

Which would mean, according to the SNP view of things, after independence, so Scotland's rail network would not be a 'UK' issue.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/developing-a-new-high-speed-rail-network
I would presume so, and yet the Scottish Government still wants that rail network extended to Scotland.  Unfortunately they can't have their cake and eat it, which is what they seem to want for a lot of things, and which makes complete nonsense of the idea of total independence - but then the SNP say they don't want that either ... #confused

Slight editing there.
Very Happy
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #768 on: February 10, 2013, 08:17 PM »

Scottish politics is a wormhole of indecency and regret. End of.

No offence pal, but that's a strong statement to make, given how little substantiation you've given.

What makes you say that?
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #769 on: February 10, 2013, 08:56 PM »

The image of the SNP running a country all on their own is alarming, to say the least.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #770 on: February 10, 2013, 08:58 PM »

The image of the SNP running a country all on their own is alarming, to say the least.
Agreed 100%
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #771 on: February 10, 2013, 09:01 PM »

It's Labour or SNP up here for obvious reasons, and I would much prefer the latter.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #772 on: February 10, 2013, 09:04 PM »

It's Labour or SNP up here for obvious reasons, and I would much prefer the latter.
Small minded marginalists - no thanks...
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #773 on: February 10, 2013, 09:15 PM »

No offence pal, but that's a strong statement to make, given how little substantiation you've given.

What makes you say that?

I agree with you Panda I didn't put much forward to the statement.

My reasoning was that with this referendum emerging in the next year, they are pretty much going to downgrade the economy and infrastructure of Scotland. It's the same for all political parties. They tend to transverse to the more 'homely' idea such as being independent without a thought of the implications it could make the country fall into for what could be a substantial amount of time depending on the severity and importance.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #774 on: February 10, 2013, 09:16 PM »

Like Elly I agree 100% with that, which is why I won't be voting 'Yes' in the referendum.

Because people vote SNP (as I do) it doesn't mean that they want Scotland to become independent, just that they think the SNP is the best party to run Scotland at the moment, but within the framework of the UK.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 10, 2013, 09:19 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #775 on: February 10, 2013, 09:26 PM »

Like Elly I agree 100% with that, which is why I won't be voting 'Yes' in the referendum.
Because people vote SNP (as I do) it doesn't mean that they want Scotland to become independent, just that they think the SNP is the best party to run Scotland at the moment, but within the framework of the UK.

Sure, I am fully aware that running a devolved government and running an independent Scotland are different matters entirely.

My point was that the SNP government have done, in most parts, an excellent job. The idea of them running the country single-handedly isn't 'alarming'. There have been instances where hesitancy from the SNP government (over the controls on income tax) have been detrimental, but I've been impressed with some of their policies.

The main reasons I will be voting 'No' to independence as it stands is because I have yet to be convinced by SNP proposals on our direction as a sovereign state, and also the absolutely fundamental issue of currency.

I agree with you Panda I didn't put much forward to the statement.

My reasoning was that with this referendum emerging in the next year, they are pretty much going to downgrade the economy and infrastructure of Scotland. It's the same for all political parties. They tend to transverse to the more 'homely' idea such as being independent without a thought of the implications it could make the country fall into for what could be a substantial amount of time depending on the severity and importance.

Okay, well, I don't see how they are going to downgrade the economy and infrastructure, I don't think any government has that objective.

Small minded marginalists - no thanks...

I'm not really sure what this means?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #776 on: February 10, 2013, 09:37 PM »

Well, I'd just appreciate if you explain what you mean?

It reads like a soundbite picked up from Question Time.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #777 on: February 10, 2013, 09:39 PM »

Sure, I am fully aware that running a devolved government and running an independent Scotland are different matters entirely.

My point was that the SNP government have done, in most parts, an excellent job. The idea of them running the country single-handedly isn't 'alarming'. There have been instances where hesitancy from the SNP government (over the controls on income tax) have been detrimental, but I've been impressed with some of their policies.

The main reasons I will be voting 'No' to independence as it stands is because I have yet to be convinced by SNP proposals on our direction as a sovereign state, and also the absolutely fundamental issue of currency.

Okay, well, I don't see how they are going to downgrade the economy and infrastructure, I don't think any government has that objective.

I'm not really sure what this means?
No - you wouldn't and no surprises there.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #778 on: February 10, 2013, 09:40 PM »

No - you wouldn't and no surprises there.

?

Baffling post.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #779 on: February 10, 2013, 09:52 PM »

Good show - I do like to baffle, now and then...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 119 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »