Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 119 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Scottish politics  (Read 26098 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #840 on: February 15, 2013, 12:10 PM »

No its not Bevc I did try to find the article again but I thow out my papers when I have finished with them I have been looking for it but cannot find it. Sorry about that but if you want to check it I am sure you could go to the times website you will find it.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #841 on: February 15, 2013, 01:06 PM »

Finally found what I was looking for it was in Tuesday Copy of the Times. Under the heading It's a financial shot in the dark - and there's no pot of gold waiting. Read the whole article and you will see what I mean despite the heading. Read pages 14 and 15. of Tuesdays Times.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #842 on: February 15, 2013, 08:05 PM »

Thanks LB goodjob

Actually LB, I think that it was the article, albeit an edited version for online.  Though now, I can't even read what I had read, since I need to purchase a subscription.

I think the report was for the Scottish Government, and though there might be timing issues (through negotiations), Beveridge didn't foresee any major issues with separation from the rest of the UK.

Link to the full report - all 226 pages

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0041/00414291.pdf

[ Last edit by Bevc February 18, 2013, 02:14 AM ] IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #843 on: March 02, 2013, 11:53 AM »

News that council tax payers in England are facing an increase in their payments this year shows the difference between Scotland and the Westminster government – as all of Scotland’s local authorities are benefiting from a freeze in their payments for the sixth year in a row.

Reports today say that 41 per cent of councils in England are planning to increase council tax this year – up on the 15% last year.

In contrast Scottish councils have confirmed that in setting their budgets for 2013-14 they have included full provision to deliver on the joint priority agreed with the Scottish Government to continue the council tax freeze to help families in these tough economic times.

SNP MSP Kevin Stewart, who sits on the Local Government Committee, said:

“The fact that over 40% of local authorities in England will increase council tax payments shows the startling difference between Scotland and the performance of the Westminster government.

“While people south of the border are facing an increase in payments, people in Scotland are benefitting from the sixth year the tax has been frozen.

“The Scottish Government’s strong partnership with local authorities, first established in 2007, is to the benefit of the people of Scotland.

“In this challenging economic climate we must do what we can to help Scottish communities and householders. That is why news of Scotland’s council tax freeze, fully funded by the Scottish Government, is so welcome.

“The Scottish Government is doing all it can to mitigate the savage cuts from Westminster – we are working with local government to support welfare and health and social care reform to help protect the most vulnerable in our society.

“This is yet another example of why we need the full powers of an independent country to allow a Scottish Parliament, 100% directly elected by the people of Scotland, to make the decisions that affect those living here.”
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #844 on: March 02, 2013, 12:03 PM »

^ That's a powerful argument - no doubt about it... 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #845 on: March 03, 2013, 09:57 PM »

Think  Population in a number of areas in England has grown significantly over the last few years.  More people about, strains the services. dontknow

And I guess the that there is a yang to the ying of council tax freezing

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/thousands-of-jobs-go-as-councils-wield-axe.1360923433

Wonder if there are other areas that have been affected by council tax freezing?  Schools, care for the elderly?

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #846 on: March 04, 2013, 02:08 AM »

^ Care for the elderly is in danger of being compromised by this freezing, and in Edinburgh (and I'm sure we aren't alone) the number of refuse collections has been reduced for the past two years at least.  Bins used to be emptied twice a week, now it's only once, with the result that by the time collections are made many of them, mainly the considerable number of communal ones, are overflowing with rubbish, thereby adding to Edinburgh's litter problem.  The Council though now have plans in place to track down people (by tagging offending bin bags) and slapping them with a fine if they (a) leave bags beside bins because they're full, or (b) put bags in the bins so's the lid can't be closed.  Just how they think this tagging method will work is beyond me.  Also the Council have said that binmen will refuse to empty overflowing bins, something else the logic of which defeats me.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 04, 2013, 02:27 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #847 on: March 04, 2013, 04:46 AM »

SNP U-TURN OVER MEMBERSHIP FOR INDEPENDENT SCOTLAND  [Herald, 27 Feb]   Whistle

THE SNP Government has accepted for the first time that an independent Scotland would have to apply for EU membership.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/snp-u-turn-over-eu-membership-for-independent-scotland.20357002

INDEPENDENT SCOTLAND 'WOULD HAVE TO APPLY FROM SCRATCH TO JOIN EU'  [Telegraph, 4 March]

Edgars Rinkevics, the Latvian foreign minister, told the BBC Scotland would be considered a “new country” and would have to go through the full accession process.

Although he predicted this would not take as long as for recent entrants such as Croatia, who had to wait more than a decade, he refused to back the SNP’s claim it could be completed in only 16 months.

However, he also raised the possibility that the rest of the UK might not automatically inherit the UK's membership of the EU and disclosed the European Commission was "considering" that question.

His intervention was a further blow for Alex Salmond because the Baltic state is scheduled to take over the EU presidency shortly after the Scottish independence referendum, in autumn 2014.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9899322/Independent-Scotland-would-have-to-apply-from-scratch-to-join-EU.html
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #848 on: March 04, 2013, 06:05 AM »

^ Care for the elderly is in danger of being compromised by this freezing, and in Edinburgh (and I'm sure we aren't alone) the number of refuse collections has been reduced for the past two years at least.  Bins used to be emptied twice a week, now it's only once, with the result that by the time collections are made many of them, mainly the considerable number of communal ones, are overflowing with rubbish, thereby adding to Edinburgh's litter problem.  The Council though now have plans in place to track down people (by tagging offending bin bags) and slapping them with a fine if they (a) leave bags beside bins because they're full, or (b) put bags in the bins so's the lid can't be closed.  Just how they think this tagging method will work is beyond me.  Also the Council have said that binmen will refuse to empty overflowing bins, something else the logic of which defeats me.

Interesting re care for elderly since about a fifth of Scotland's population is over 65.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm%3A77-270247

I know our old neighbours in Doncaster complain about refuse collection. Where we live here, you purchase bags for your rubbish. If it's not in the proper bag, they don't take it. It costs about $3 per bag. Recyling is free. We pay for garden waste collection and you have to pay to take items to the tip (apart from recycling).
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #849 on: March 04, 2013, 12:53 PM »

In Fife we have 4 Bins per household. One for paper, plastic and tins, food waste and one for landfill. The bin men work 2 shifts so some bins are emptied in the afternoon. It works pretty well and the streets are clean. The town centre is kept tidy. So no complains from me.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #850 on: March 04, 2013, 01:52 PM »

Another thing I forgot to mention is the Council Tax which will commence again on the 1st of April. It is to remain at the same cost as last year. So that's good as the cost of living is getting higher over the past couple of months food prices have has a big raise. I am dreading the increases for the cost of power and gas. The UK government are always saying they want the fuel cost to customers to be at the cheapest tariff they are living in cloud cuckoo land. British Gas say they are going to increase there charges by 11%.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #851 on: March 04, 2013, 03:22 PM »

News that council tax payers in England are facing an increase in their payments this year shows the difference between Scotland and the Westminster government – as all of Scotland’s local authorities are benefiting from a freeze in their payments for the sixth year in a row.

Not sure about that. Both are offering grants so councils can freeze tax. In England some councils are choosing not to accept. In Scotland all have agreed to a freeze.

"Town halls fear that unless they impose modest rises this year, they will be forced into more dramatic hikes in future when there is no Whitehall cash to soften the blow".   
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/feb/28/eric-pickles-council-tax-revolt

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #852 on: March 04, 2013, 07:02 PM »

In Fife we have 4 Bins per household. One for paper, plastic and tins, food waste and one for landfill. The bin men work 2 shifts so some bins are emptied in the afternoon. It works pretty well and the streets are clean. The town centre is kept tidy. So no complains from me.
The City of Edinburgh Council is about to introduce bins for food waste in addition to the ones already in existence, but refuse collection will still be once a week.  While it's probably not too bad for single properties, it certainly isn't for the many areas where properties are tenements and where communal street bins are used.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the Council Tax which will commence again on the 1st of April. It is to remain at the same cost as last year. So that's good as the cost of living is getting higher over the past couple of months food prices have has a big raise. I am dreading the increases for the cost of power and gas. The UK government are always saying they want the fuel cost to customers to be at the cheapest tariff they are living in cloud cuckoo land. British Gas say they are going to increase there charges by 11%.
I think this will be the 3rd consecutive year that that has happened.  On one hand, it's welcome news, especially as the State Pension has been increased by a measly amount, but on the other hand, local services are suffering and people start complaining about that.  So Shrug

I don't know how British Gas still has any customers left.  £606m in profits last year is obscene, yet they're still going to increase costs?  As far as I know they have the highest costs for gas and electricity of all the energy suppliers.  It's high time Westminster really did put its foot down, both with them and all the other energy companies, instead of just threatening to do so.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #853 on: March 04, 2013, 11:56 PM »

Hopefully people are wise enough to shop around for their energy products.  There appears to be enough companies around to help you to do this.

I used to hear this guy a lot on Radio 2, giving tips on how to save money.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

If enough people leave, then they will have to do something.

British Gas' profits pale into insignificance against these 2:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/city-news/scottish-power-edf-energy-reveal-1710848

Two of Britain’s biggest energy firms raked in profits of nearly £3billion between them last year.

Scottish Power and EDF Energy announced the bumper hauls as millions of customers were still reeling from their inflation-busting price hikes.

Scottish Power, controlled by Spanish operator Iberdrola, saw profits soar by 12% to £1.2billion last year.

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #854 on: March 05, 2013, 12:06 AM »

I used to hear this guy a lot on Radio 2, giving tips on how to save money.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

I love Martin Lewis. If I was gay, I'd totally want to marry him Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 119 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »