Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 ... 247 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 56489 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #855 on: March 05, 2013, 12:13 AM »

lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #856 on: March 05, 2013, 02:38 AM »

Hopefully people are wise enough to shop around for their energy products.  There appears to be enough companies around to help you to do this.

I used to hear this guy a lot on Radio 2, giving tips on how to save money.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
Maybe I should look into this.  I switched from Scottish Power to npower over two years ago, but at least npower only(!) made a profit of £313m last year.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #857 on: March 05, 2013, 09:07 AM »

Guys, some of these energy companies may have the highest profits because they have 'lower' prices and 'more' customers!
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #858 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17 AM »

Good point Caz, I'm with e.on!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #859 on: March 05, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Guys, some of these energy companies may have the highest profits because they have 'lower' prices and 'more' customers!

Absolutely.  Good to shop around for the best price too.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #860 on: March 05, 2013, 10:18 PM »

So that's good as the cost of living is getting higher over the past couple of months food prices have has a big raise.

Not picking on you specifically, tempting as it is... but do you think that inflation has been 0% for the last three years?

It hasn't. The real cost of everything has risen by ~3% a year for the last three years, which begs the question: how are the Scottish councils paying for this rise in costs?

I assume that they're either being given a grant by the Scottish Parliament, or cutting services. Neither of these is a good thing. I'd personally much rather eat a 3% year-on-year increase than a ~12% increase all at once.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #861 on: March 05, 2013, 10:20 PM »

It's high time Westminster really did put its foot down, both with them and all the other energy companies, instead of just threatening to do so.

I agree with the sentiment, but it's deeply problematic in practice. As long as the various suppliers aren't colluding (which is illegal) and aren't monopolistic (which they aren't), there's not a lot the government can actually do.
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #862 on: March 05, 2013, 10:25 PM »

I agree with you Boogers.  I think we, Scotland, are in for a big shock in the not too distant future (well, after the independence vote) where council tax is concerned - it can't be frozen forever.

Whoever is in power after the vote is going to have some pretty unpopular decisions to make with regards to finance.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #863 on: March 05, 2013, 11:18 PM »

I agree with you Boogers.  I think we, Scotland, are in for a big shock in the not too distant future (well, after the independence vote) where council tax is concerned - it can't be frozen forever.

Whoever is in power after the vote is going to have some pretty unpopular decisions to make with regards to finance.
Which is one reason why the present SNP government keeps fighting shy of do so, at least until the referendum is over.  Who do they think they're kidding just now?  It's bit like companies offering people goods, inviting them to pay by instalments and telling them that 0% interest will be charged for the first year or two, then the customer ends up paying a higher rate of interest for the remainder of the payment plan than they would have done if they'd been charged interest from the start.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #864 on: March 06, 2013, 10:41 AM »

Put it this way Boogers if the UK government does nothing about the energy companies people will begin tho think they are gutless. For David Cameron to say they have to provide the best tariff to customers is is a load of ****. He cannot control his own right wing of his party another problem are Bankers bonuses it is totally immoral to let the Banks do this. While the general public have had a cut in wages and living cost are rising. How can this government lecture people about cuts and treat them like morons. As for Council Tax goes all councils have to cut their cloth to what they think is appropriate. Councils have cut a lot of jobs here too and public service job have been cut so no different from councils in the rest of UK. That is all I am going to say on the subject.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #865 on: March 06, 2013, 12:21 PM »

To be honest, I don't think the council tax freeze is a big issue.  I think the public are intelligent enough to know that it can't be frozen forever, and that it must inevitably rise after the next election, or independence or whatever, the only question is by how much.  That will be the hard sell.

I am looking forward to next year.  Whatever the result of the referendum I think a healthy informed debate about Scotland's place within the UK is long overdue.  A yes vote is by no means impossible, so much will depend on the particular political circumstances at the time.  My suspicion is that the public will be so baffled by conflicting arguments and the myopia of the status quo that the No vote will probably prevail.  However, the reality is that if over or around 40% of Scots vote yes (which seems pretty likely), that still raises some pretty serious questions about the future of the UK.

I am in favour of independence wholeheartedly, I just feel that most Scots have been brainwashed by this 'Scotland is so inferior it can't survive on its own' mentality.  How any rational person can look at the current political make-up at Westminster and think it serves our national interests is something which completely baffles me.

We are a peculiarly hypocritical nation, the sort that will belt out the national anthem at Murrayfield of Hampden, and yet shy away from nationhood when it is actually there to be grasped, rather than nostalgically re-imagined.

IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #866 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22 PM »

^^  clap clap
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #867 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59 PM »

Well said scotgeek28 I agree entirely. It is time for Scots to grasp the metal instead of failing to make a decision about independence. As you say Westminister does not serve our national interests and it is time for us to prove that we can make it on our own. Other small countries do it so I cannot see why we can't.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #868 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37 PM »

What do we have to lose?  I'd rather have a government which is accessible (ie Edinburgh) than one nearly 500 miles away making decisions which takes into account those south of the Watford Gap before taking into consideration peoples of the north.  Please do not insult me by calling me an idiot for wanting independence and I wont call you one for wanting to stay in the UK.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #869 on: March 06, 2013, 04:36 PM »

My goodness - 4 posts I can agree with - one after the other.    I have wondered for a while whether No voters would be able to sing Flower of Scotland if we don't take our chance when offered it.    In fact I don't quite understand how No voters can sing it at the moment.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 ... 247 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »