Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 1 Member and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 ... 256 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 60157 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #885 on: March 21, 2013, 02:25 PM »

The Referendum will be held on Thursday, 18 September 2014, so now that we know the exact date, let battle commence for the hearts and minds of the Scottish electorate.

I'm still not in favour of independence despite having just listened to Salmond's very persuasive speech.  There are still too many questions to which we need to get straightforward answers in the coming months, and unless these are addressed satisfactorily I won't be considering changing my mind.  
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #886 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47 PM »

Tennis Girl It would not be the first time that the USA has got involved in other countries politics. They should not be involved after all you lot fought for your countries independence so what's the difference.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #887 on: March 21, 2013, 07:23 PM »

Tennis Girl It would not be the first time that the USA has got involved in other countries politics. They should not be involved after all you lot fought for your countries independence so what's the difference.
Please try to lighten up a little, LB.  As Tennis_Girl says the US isn't remotely interested in getting involved with Scottish affairs.  What would they have to gain from doing so?  Certainly not oil which will probably run out in around 40 years - and that's a fairly generous estimate.  The only time America has tried to use its muscle power here was over the release of the Lockerbie Bomber, but that had more to do with justice than politics.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #888 on: March 21, 2013, 07:39 PM »

For me it is serious business. I am interested in the future of my country. I am only responding because a little while back the new American ambassador to UK said he did not want Scotland to separate from UK. The Americans have become involved in the politics of other countries and we like idiots have sent troops to help them. What about all the young men from Scotland and the rest of the UK who have died for no apparent reason. Iraq is still in turmoil as will Afghanistan when the troops leave. Tony Blair has a lot to answer for dragging into wars we should never have been in. I do not want any more young men from UK to be involved in any more wars, many of them joined the army because they could not get descent jobs.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #889 on: March 21, 2013, 07:47 PM »

I'm an immigrant. So no, none of my ancestors fought for the USA.

IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #890 on: March 21, 2013, 07:49 PM »

For me it is serious business. I am interested in the future of my country. I am only responding because a little while back the new American ambassador to UK said he did not want Scotland to separate from UK. The Americans have become involved in the politics of other countries and we like idiots have sent troops to help them. What about all the young men from Scotland and the rest of the UK who have died for no apparent reason. Iraq is still in turmoil as will Afghanistan when the troops leave. Tony Blair has a lot to answer for dragging into wars we should never have been in. I do not want any more young men from UK to be involved in any more wars, many of them joined the army because they could not get descent jobs.

I can assure you, just like everyone else, America will have an opinion.
That doesn't mean any American troops are going to come into Scotland to stop them from gaining independence if that ends up being the case.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #891 on: April 22, 2013, 09:30 PM »

http://www.nu.nl/economie/3402872/britse-minister-hekelt-schotse-muntplannen.html
Scottish wish to have an own moneysystem is headline news in the Netherlands...

I'm quite surprised since Deputy First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, was saying only last week how it was in everyone's best interests to keep the pound. Think

I did translate the article and it was basically the criticism from George Osbourne at the Scottish Government's wish to keep the pound. 

(Google translate)

British minister criticizes Scottish currency plans
If Scotland chooses independence, is to keep as currency. Difficult the pound to

Scottish voters may decide in 2014 whether Scotland should be an independent country. The referendum could mean the end for the United Kingdom in the present form: Scotland and England for hundreds of years the same king.

consequences

According to Osborne, the decision may have major economic consequences. A monetary union works with the minister only within a political and economic union.

Osborne cracked Scottish plans just to keep the British currency:'' That they carry important decisions about the Scottish economy to what will soon be a foreign government''.
[ Last edit by Bevc April 22, 2013, 09:40 PM ] IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #892 on: April 23, 2013, 01:15 AM »

I don't think we should be taking any lessons on economics from George Osborne!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #893 on: April 23, 2013, 01:52 AM »

Scottish independence: SNP dismisses threat to banknotes as 'scaremongering'

....... The UK has shared a common currency for more than 300 years.

But a Treasury source said the responsibility of the Bank of England, as the central bank of the UK as a whole, for regulating the issuing of notes by commercial banks would have to be reviewed if Scotland voted for independence.

It said that the arrangement was a rare example where different notes are printed and accepted across the same currency area.

The Treasury argues it is because the Bank of England is formally responsible for regulating the issuance of notes by commercial banks that Scottish banknotes are worth as much as Bank of England banknotes.

....... The Scottish government said the existing situation relating to Scottish banknotes would remain in place within a post-independence currency union.

A spokesman said: "An independent Scotland will retain the pound. The UK government has stated that there is no legal bar to an independent Scotland having sterling as its currency and the evidence, including the views of world-leading economist Joseph Stiglitz, shows that it is in the best interests of both an independent Scotland and the rest of the UK to have a sterling zone."

The SNP's Westminster Treasury spokesman Stewart Hosie dismissed fears over Scottish banknotes as a scare story from the UK government.

He told BBC Scotland: "Every single Scottish note in circulation is fully covered by a Bank of England note or coins or assets held by the Bank of England, which guarantees its value, that would not change under a currency union."

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22246176

What I find interesting is that up until 1960 Scottish £1 notes were only worth 19s:6d (97.5p) in England and Wales, and Scottish notes were regarded with suspicion anyway, so travellers going south of the border always made sure they took only B of E notes with them - a habit which remained well into the 1980s - so obviously a currency union is a  relatively new idea, although recent bank mergers mean that the only Scottish bank is the Clydesdale, although even it has been part of the National Australia Bank Group since 1987.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #894 on: April 23, 2013, 02:08 AM »

I knew of some places that wouldn't take Scottish notes because of the fear of counterfeits.  I never came across a counterfeit one in my 8 years of working in the cash office at Asda.  Then again, some places wouldn't accept 50 or 100  pound notes either dontknow

It's my understanding that you can use any currency you wish from any country as your sovereign currency, but I could be talking rubbish.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #895 on: April 23, 2013, 02:43 AM »

I knew of some places that wouldn't take Scottish notes because of the fear of counterfeits.  I never came across a counterfeit one in my 8 years of working in the cash office at Asda.  Then again, some places wouldn't accept 50 or 100  pound notes either dontknow

It's my understanding that you can use any currency you wish from any country as your sovereign currency, but I could be talking rubbish.
I don't really know Bev.  As far as £50 and £100 notes are concerned they were regarded with great suspicion throughout the UK - but that was when they were actually worth something!  I don't think £100 notes are printed any more anyway.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #896 on: April 23, 2013, 11:55 AM »

When we went on holiday to England some people did not accept Scottish notes. This used to upset people and you were looked at as being a cheat. It has got a bit better now but sometimes you are looked at as coming from Mars. It is really terrible that this still goes on to this day.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #897 on: April 25, 2013, 02:22 AM »

When we went on holiday to England some people did not accept Scottish notes. This used to upset people and you were looked at as being a cheat. It has got a bit better now but sometimes you are looked at as coming from Mars. It is really terrible that this still goes on to this day.
I have never once had a problem with Scottish notes since the early 1980s, although I'm prepared to believe they might still be regarded with suspicion in remote rural areas.  The RBS is now a UK bank anyway so there shouldn't be a problem with these ones, although it does seem ironic that they've threatened to pull out of Scotland should it become independent.  Presumably that would mean renaming the bank, which might pose problems since it was set up by Royal Charter (in 1727).
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #898 on: April 27, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Lol just heard on "The News quiz" so of course may be a wind up....that if Scotland gets independence will keep the Royal Family.
You lucky, lucky people...perhaps u could persuade the royals to move permanently to Scotland.....Smile
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #899 on: April 27, 2013, 05:21 PM »

Lol just heard on "The News quiz" so of course may be a wind up....that if Scotland gets independence will keep the Royal Family.
You lucky, lucky people...perhaps u could persuade the royals to move permanently to Scotland.....Smile

No thank you bbh.     There are some people who even want a coronation in Scotland.  There is no accounting for taste.     
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 ... 256 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »