Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 132 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 31854 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #930 on: April 30, 2013, 09:00 PM »

Aileen, that was a great explanation. Thank you.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #931 on: April 30, 2013, 09:55 PM »

Thank you for the compliment Phil.  I just so happens that a few years ago I was helping a friend who was writing a book about the Union do research in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, so looked at a lot of original letters and documents.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #932 on: April 30, 2013, 10:11 PM »

Aye right. Why was she at Thatcher's funeral?

Good point Fiverings.    But I don't have the answer to that.    I always understood they didn't get on too well but their relationship seems now to be subject to airbrushing.   I don't like either of them so I don't much care.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #933 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12 PM »

Thank you for the compliment Phil.  I just so happens that a few years ago I was helping a friend who was writing a book about the Union do research in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, so looked at a lot of original letters and documents.

I hope they weren't dodgy dossiers, Aileen.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #934 on: May 01, 2013, 10:00 AM »

Aileen, that was a great explanation. Thank you.
I do hope that those eligible to vote are as well read and informed as you, Aileen, so they make a wise decision on the day.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #935 on: May 01, 2013, 06:47 PM »

I do hope that those eligible to vote are as well read and informed as you, Aileen, so they make a wise decision on the day.
I wish I was as well informed about the present situation, but the issues involved here are different and more complex  than they were 300 years ago.  What I'm basically trying to get across is that Scotland already enjoys a good degree of independence, more so since we got our own parliament.  Whilst full independence might seem the next logical step, I don't see it that way.  Breaking three centuries of unity with England isn't in the best interests of either Scotland or the UK.  It would be a very long and painful divorce with no certainty whatsoever about its ultimate outcome and its effect on Scotland as well as the rest of the UK.  I have no real argument with maintaining the status quo anyway, and truly don't see why some people are getting so hot under the collar about it, although had it been permitted on the ballot paper I would have gone for a few more powers being devolved to the Scottish parliament.  However I think that could happen anyway if there is a No vote in the referendum.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #936 on: May 02, 2013, 02:32 AM »

Think

http://www.channel4.com/news/scotland-would-not-have-own-central-bank-says-salmond

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #937 on: May 02, 2013, 03:08 AM »

That makes no sense to me, and neither did Salmond's arguments.  Jon Snow did a great job of picking holes in the Yes campaign.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #938 on: May 02, 2013, 09:26 AM »

Well his Yes campaign chairman, personally, doesn't agree keeping the pound.

The chairman of the campaign to deliver a yes vote in next year's independence referendum said he would personally prefer Scotland to adopt its own currency after independence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22358755
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #939 on: May 02, 2013, 10:50 AM »

That makes no sense to me, and neither did Salmond's arguments.  Jon Snow did a great job of picking holes in the Yes campaign.

Strangely enough I didn't see the holes.    Maybe we all take what we want to take from these interviews.     Jon Snow is actually my favourite interviewer but I was surprised that he seemed to find it difficult to grasp the idea that the Bank of England is independent.      
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #940 on: May 02, 2013, 11:19 AM »

The problem for the Scottish  Government is that no one else agrees with them, not even the Working Party of the Fiscal Commission that it set up to produce a report on the currency issue.

http://www.optionsforscotland.com/2013/04/29/why-scotland-should-have-its-own-currency/
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #941 on: May 02, 2013, 11:31 AM »

You know what if this UK government is so stupid. If they had agreed to a federal system none of the arguement would have taken place. But they are so blinkered and Cameron's cabinet is made up of public school boys it is total farce. So much for "We're all in it together" they would not have a clue how an ordinary family manages. I think the way this referendum is going so far, is the UK government  trying to scare Scots into voting No. In the Times every day we have articles about the referendum all the little scare stories about the currency and how if we separate it is going to affect the rest of UK. If they cannot cope without Scotland people should ask why.? They have a larger financial base than Scotland and they can afford to buy new nuclear subs and they are frightened they would have to leave NATO they should cut their cloth accordingly.Why all of a sudden a love for Scotland, is it because they would miss the revenue from oil and gas and of course taxes and of course the base in Faslane. It is time the UK looked at itself we are no longer a world power and it is time we accept this. We should stop becoming involved in all the wars  around the world just because we want to show the Americans what a good ally we are. Senseless killing of young men who join the army because they cannot get a job. When British forces leave those countries will just go back to being lawless and living in the middle ages.

I also hope the tories are wiped out in the local elections today they deserve to be. yay
[ Last edit by Littlebuddha May 02, 2013, 11:36 AM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #942 on: May 02, 2013, 11:44 AM »

The problem for the Scottish  Government is that no one else agrees with them, not even the Working Party of the Fiscal Commission that it set up to produce a report on the currency issue.

http://www.optionsforscotland.com/2013/04/29/why-scotland-should-have-its-own-currency/

There are options and of course there is disagreement on the way forward.    I don't see differences of opinion as being anything unusual.    As for the scaremongering from the UK government Lb, this is our third referendum in my lifetime and I heard it on the last two occasions and happily ignore it.     
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #943 on: June 11, 2013, 04:38 AM »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/judy-vows-to-build-murray-tennis-centre-for-scotland.21292974

Judy vows to build Murray Tennis Centre for Scotland

"This is my big goal. I want it to be something to leave behind," said Murray. "It would absolutely kill me if Andy finished his career in five years' time or whenever and we didn't have much to show for it here in Scotland. The opportunity is there. I've got to do it.

"Ideally, the centre would be somewhere near Dunblane. The town and its surroundings are where it all started for me, so I'd want the community and families to be right at the heart of it."

I thought there were plans already in place for a tennis centre, and that Alex Salmond had promised government help for it when he met Judy and Andy in Dunblane last year?

yes

http://news.stv.tv/tayside/190599-alex-salmond-in-positive-discussion-with-andy-murray-about-tennis-academy/
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #944 on: June 11, 2013, 01:22 PM »

I know there had been discussions about a tennis centre in West Lothian with another company involved but I have heard nothing more about it. When we visited Dunblane we went to the tennis courts I think if I remember correctly there were two courts (Outdoor). You would have to be tough to play outdoor tennis in a Scottish winter (Like Andy). We badly need covered courts to encourage youngsters to take part in tennis.
I know Stirling Uni has courts but not sure if they are indoors.I am glad Judy is so positive she is a great help in encourage young people into the game of tennis. It would be great to have great facilities in Scotland. Kids like Jamie Murray would not have to go down south for training (he came home totally upset) it is a wonder he continued in tennis after that.I hope the new center is built and more Scots youngsters can take part in the sport.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 132 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »