Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 190 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 43575 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #945 on: June 12, 2013, 03:25 AM »

That was 9 months ago, and unfortunately so far it seems nothing more has been done about it, otherwise why would Judy be making comments like that in The Herald?  Like so many politicians Salmond is very good at making promises which he ends up not committing himself to.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #946 on: June 13, 2013, 12:20 AM »

That was 9 months ago, and unfortunately so far it seems nothing more has been done about it, otherwise why would Judy be making comments like that in The Herald?  Like so many politicians Salmond is very good at making promises which he ends up not committing himself to.
Apparently there was ground at Crammond in Edinburgh which was earmarked for the tennis centre but Judy said that discussions had broken down due to financial problems.  It was not a political decision but a financial one mooted by the Murray camp.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #947 on: June 13, 2013, 02:33 AM »

Apparently there was ground at Crammond in Edinburgh which was earmarked for the tennis centre but Judy said that discussions had broken down due to financial problems.  It was not a political decision but a financial one mooted by the Murray camp.
I remember that too Iris because I recall thinking that ground at up-market Crammond would be very costly.  She's really better keeping away from this city anyway given that it's the most expensive one outside of London.  The Dunblane/Stirling/Perth area would be ideal, not only price-wise but because it's so central.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #948 on: June 13, 2013, 06:54 PM »

According to Rory Bremner, the chief question concerning Scottish independence is who gets custody of Andy Murray - could definitely be a deal breaker!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #949 on: June 14, 2013, 12:27 AM »

^ I heard that too Alis and thought it was very amusing.  I missed Bremner's programme "Rory goes to Holyrood" but I'm looking forward to catching up with it on BBC iPlayer.

On a serious note - did anyone else listen to tonight's Question Time which came from Edinburgh and where the audience was made up entirely of 16 and 17 year olds?  I rarely watch this programme but I was curious to know the thinking of these youngsters who are going to be allowed to vote in the referendum.  The debate wasn't entirely about independence but it did form a considerable part of it.  Leaving the panelists aside (although I can't stand Nigel Farage under any circumstances) I thought the audience was remarkably well informed, asked (with two exceptions) sensible questions, and their response to the panelists' opinions was very interesting and illuminating.

Until tonight I had reservations about giving 16/17 year olds a vote in the referendum, but for once I agree with Alex Salmond by saying that this was the right thing to do - in fact, as one panelist pointed out, the voting age in the UK should be lowered to 16 anyway, given all the things that 16 year olds can legitimately do - although there's nothing new about this particular argument.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #950 on: June 14, 2013, 09:14 AM »

I find that teenagers are like most people - you get the rough wih the smooth.

How do you feel the independence camp are progressing - are your questions being answered more like? Reassured that should the vote be yes that there will be a smooth transition of the things that will directly affect you?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #951 on: June 15, 2013, 12:41 AM »

I find that teenagers are like most people - you get the rough with the smooth.
Therefore no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to vote?

How do you feel the independence camp are progressing - are your questions being answered more like? Reassured that should the vote be yes that there will be a smooth transition of the things that will directly affect you?
I haven't heard much from the Yes camp but, worryingly, nothing at all from the No one.  How can undecided voters be expected to reach any rational conclusion if they don't get sufficient information from both sides - or, even worse, be swayed by the most active side (even if it were the No camp)?

Also there seems to be a feeling now that if those who already oppose independence become apathetic about voting, because they think it's unlikely to happen anyway, then the Yes ones will win.  Hopefully, now that the actual date of the referendum is known, this might act as a wake-up call.  I know it made me feel uneasy for the first time because the whole thing suddenly became a reality, not just a vague future event.

As far as I'm concerned there is still too much confusion and unanswered, or half-answered, questions around.  As I'm in receipt of the State Pension, and other welfare benefits, my main concern is what will happen to these, and this is what we're told -

“Benefits, tax credits and the state pension would continue to be paid as now in an independent Scotland. It would be for future Scottish administrations to deliver improvements to the system, designed for Scottish needs.”

The state pension and pension credits would be paid through the Scottish Government, rather than through the UK Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). However, you would continue to receive your payments in the same way as you do today.

Well that is reassuring, but it also means that the Scottish Government will be tying itself to England until such time as they get round to 'improving' the system, which they admit could take 2/3 years.  Also I'd like to know just what these 'improvements' are.  Promises that we won't be worse off just aren't enough, but, as with so much else, the SNP are fighting shy of giving any concrete answers.  Surely if they had half a grain of sense they might have a plan in place now, or at least before the referendum, and not expect people who rely on such things to hang around in a state of uncertainty for three years or more?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #952 on: June 15, 2013, 05:52 AM »

Think that's a tough one. Do we then reduce everything to 16?

I think that the no camp are in a difficult situation at times - they come across as being negative or scaremongering whereas the yes camp are being positive that Scotland can be independent but are sometimes too vague in the finer details, imo.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #953 on: June 15, 2013, 04:26 PM »

Look I get the Times every day and it always has articles against Scottish Independence. I am in fact getting so sick about it that I am thinking seriously about changing my paper. It keeps saying the same old drivel every day. It is so biased it is unbelievable. The way things are put in the Times we are being told that the Scots are scroungers and not capable of running their affairs I think we are capable of looking after our interests. You know what according to the paper their are two UK's London and the South East is 1 the other is the rest of UK. I believe it I do not think the rest of UK can continue with this. UK will disintegrate anyway if this continues with all the money going to the South East and no jobs outside this area. How long will the people of Scotland tolerate being ruled by a government that they have not voted for and their rules being imposed on Scots eg the bedroom tax. Remember the poll tax and the trouble it caused. Scots and the rest of UK will in the end get sick of those stupid rules were people are going to pay for extra rooms when they cannot move to a smaller house.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #954 on: June 16, 2013, 12:40 AM »

How long will the people of Scotland tolerate being ruled by a government that they have not voted for and their rules being imposed on Scots eg the bedroom tax.

That's democracy for you and I believe its the same in Scotland - more people voted against SNP if you look at the election results, just different parties.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #955 on: June 16, 2013, 02:52 PM »

It may be your version of democracy Bev it is not mine. One tory Mp to represent government in Scotland I think it is rather lop sided. No one in UK voted for a bedroom tax, it is so stupid when there are no smaller houses available for people to move to it is totally stupid and not thought through properly.Plus this UK government are fighting between themselves about europe Cameron has no control of his party who want him out. Maybe another election will get rid of the lot of them- good .
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #956 on: June 17, 2013, 02:05 AM »

Not my version of democracy at all LB, but the UK's.  The bedroom tax does appear to have it's problems and really needs to be addressed.

Perhaps a different voting system ought to be brought into the UK, like here in NZ (MMP) but someone is never going to be happy with the result, regardless.
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #957 on: June 25, 2013, 03:30 PM »

Hope I was allowed to vote in this poll despite my lack of Scottish blood...haha
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #958 on: July 09, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Now that Andy has won Wimbledon it's inevitable I suppose that he's got dragged into the independence issue -

ANDY MURRAY has signalled he will enter the debate on Scottish independence.  [Herald, 9 July]

The newly crowned Wimbledon champion yesterday said he would canvass opinion and could declare his stance ahead of the vote in September next year.

The 26-year-old Scot was speaking in the wake of his greatest triumph when he defeated Novak Djokovic, the world No.1, in straight sets on Centre Court.

"When the time is right I will probably say something about it," said Murray yesterday.

He added: "I'm going to get asked about it all the time. I will think about it, speak to some people and try to see what is best for the country."

Murray, if he declares his stance, would become the latest famous Scot to come out for or against on the issue.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has already donated to the Better Together anti-independence campaign.

Hollywood actor Alan Cumming has always been a high-profile supporter of the Yes Scotland organisation, along with the actor Martin Compston.

Sean Connery is undoubtedly the SNP's best-known celebrity supporter, while Hollywood actor Brian Cox is another backer of independence.

Ewan McGregor, Billy Connolly, Primal Scream's Bobby Gillespie and singer Sharleen Spiteri, of the band Texas, support the No campaign.

However, Olympic cyclist Sir Chris Hoy faced online abuse earlier this year after saying that independence would weaken the British team and, with a lack of adequate facilities north of the Border, would create a challenge for Scotland's new national athletes.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/murray-i-will-declare-my-hand-on-independence.21560118

IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #959 on: July 09, 2013, 07:12 PM »

^^ I sincerely hope Andy leaves this alone. He has won many friend and getting into politics is a good way of losing some of them again. It's a lose-lose situation for him
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 190 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »