Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 ... 247 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 56648 times)
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #990 on: July 14, 2013, 02:49 AM »

It comes from people like me paying my council tax to the city of Edinburgh council then our elected officials prioritising and justifying the spend ( and no I do not work for the council) 

Oh and for the record biggest subsidy junkies in the UK? The residents of London before that one kicks off.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #991 on: July 14, 2013, 03:19 AM »

ALMOST £6 million is to be spent modernising Scotland’s tennis facilities in a bid to capitalise on the success of Wimbledon champion Andy Murray.

Sport Scotland, an agency of the Scottish Government, said £5.8m would be invested over the next four years to help encourage a new generation of players to take up the game.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scotland-s-6m-quest-to-find-the-next-andy-murray-1-2994850

They didn't want to capitalise on the Olympic gold or the US Open win then? Think

Too busy spending on building velodromes and athlete villiages for a commonwealth games which are progressing nicely, take your point that tennis will not be included.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #992 on: July 14, 2013, 03:37 AM »

As a Scot I have to say I was mortified at Salmond waving the Saltire. I love my flag and I'm all for Scots in the crowd waving the Saltire or any Brits waving the Union flag in support of Andy but for a political leader to do it in the Royal box was just embarrassing. He may as well have held up a sign up that read, "ANDY BELONGS TO US". I've no doubt Salmond would have had plenty to say if Cameron had pulled the same stunt with a Union flag.

I think we all know that Andy will have no say in next year’s referendum so I just hope he stays silent on the matter. He would come under fire whatever he had to say on the subject. Stick with the tennis and ignore the politics please Andy.

Given you are most probably a Daily Mail reader you may think twice about clicking on this link ( no it is not adult art or sketchings of leg above the ankle)

http://www.scotzine.com/2013/07/saltiregate-supporting-a-scottish-victory-or-a-political-stunt/

Ding Ding, all aboard the offended bus.  Whistle

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #993 on: July 14, 2013, 09:24 AM »

It comes from people like me paying my council tax to the city of Edinburgh council then our elected officials prioritising and justifying the spend ( and no I do not work for the council) 
  A sizeable chunk comes from Government, which derives from taxes too, of course, and local businesses rates. I'm sure if you were interested the info would be available on-line.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #994 on: July 14, 2013, 09:33 AM »

Given you are most probably a Daily Mail reader you may think twice about clicking on this link ( no it is not adult art or sketchings of leg above the ankle)

http://www.scotzine.com/2013/07/saltiregate-supporting-a-scottish-victory-or-a-political-stunt/

Ding Ding, all aboard the offended bus.  Whistle

I don't necessarily condone what Salmond did, the flag was the wrong shade of blue anyway,  but it does annoy me that it is branded a political stunt when it was perfectly acceptable to swathe athletes in the Union Jack at every opportunity during the Olympics. When Federer and Nadal play no-one complains about their flags. The achievements of Scottish athletes are regularly celebrated with the Saltire - a ten second outing in the Royal box at Wimbledon is no big deal.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #995 on: July 14, 2013, 02:03 PM »

I don't necessarily condone what Salmond did, the flag was the wrong shade of blue anyway,  but it does annoy me that it is branded a political stunt when it was perfectly acceptable to swathe athletes in the Union Jack at every opportunity during the Olympics. When Federer and Nadal play no-one complains about their flags. The achievements of Scottish athletes are regularly celebrated with the Saltire - a ten second outing in the Royal box at Wimbledon is no big deal.

If the media had not jumped the next day to tell people that it was an awful thing for Alex Salmond to do, i.e. to wave his country's flag, lots of people may even have missed it, given that the camera swung away exceptionally quickly from that disgraceful sight.    The BBC  lingers lovingly on people like Pippa Middleton and Victoria Beckham but valiantly tried to shield our eyes from the First Minister waving the Scottish Flag to celebrate a brilliant win by a Scottish tennis star.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #996 on: July 15, 2013, 02:06 AM »

I don't necessarily condone what Salmond did, the flag was the wrong shade of blue anyway,  but it does annoy me that it is branded a political stunt when it was perfectly acceptable to swathe athletes in the Union Jack at every opportunity during the Olympics. When Federer and Nadal play no-one complains about their flags. The achievements of Scottish athletes are regularly celebrated with the Saltire - a ten second outing in the Royal box at Wimbledon is no big deal.
Exactly what shade of blue should the Saltire be anyway?  I seem to recall much agonising over this at Holyrood in the past.

I didn't see anything wrong with what Salmond did either, but apparently the size of the flag contravened Wimbledon rules.  Shame. Rolling Eyes   As far as I'm concerned I like to see as many Saltires and blue and white painted faces as possible at Wimbledon after all the years when we had to look at the red and white of Tim's supporters.

Anyway I thought Cameron had a cheek saying that Salmond was making political capital out of Andy's win.  What was Cameron doing when he was entertaining Andy at Downing Street? 
[ Last edit by Aileen July 15, 2013, 02:12 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #997 on: July 15, 2013, 02:16 AM »

I was glad than he looked happier that Nicola Sturgeon (and Jude) did in the semi final yes

* BOcQmxzCAAAorVh[1].JPG (105.96 KB, 598x329 - viewed 143 times.)
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #998 on: July 15, 2013, 02:26 AM »

That ear looks off...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #999 on: July 15, 2013, 02:29 AM »

lmao  Btw Bev - I'm not a cricket fan, but well done to England for beating the Aussies in the first Ashes Test!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1000 on: July 15, 2013, 04:21 AM »

Thanks Aileen Very Happy  Gripping stuff!  Couldn't stay awake for the bit after lunch but will catch tonight.  I don't have any void to fill at the moment, cricket doing a great job! cmon yeah
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1001 on: July 24, 2013, 02:15 AM »

Ding Ding, all aboard the offended bus.  Whistle

Not a Daily Mail reader but thanks for making an assumption about me.

Thanks for the link.  I’d like to say it was an interesting article but it was just the sort of drivel I expected.

My criticism was never about a Scot supporting a Scot. I’ve traveled to watch Andy play in England and France and every single time I’ve had the Saltire with me. I’ve worn it around the grounds and I’ve waved it in the air before, during and after matches. I’ve seen Andy play in Glasgow as part of the GB Davis Cup team and I’ve had the Union flag with me. I’m always happy to wave that flag in support of the whole GB team.

“Saltiregate is not about the flag waving, it is about the person waving the flag at the end of the day and that is more cause to criticise those attacking Salmond for using the issue as a political stunt to try to add to their scaremongering over Scottish independence.”

It’s about both. I’ve NEVER seen anybody wave a flag in the Royal box. Am I surprised that Salmond was the first person to do it? Nope, not in the slightest. There were plenty of Scots and Brits on Henman hill and in centre court waving their flags. Where was Salmond’s flag during the match? If this was all about supporting a fellow Scot then why leave it until the end of the match before he whipped the flag out? By all accounts Salmond had the Saltire with him last year. Where was it? I don’t remember seeing it last year. Then again Andy didn’t win last year did he?  Yep, probably wasn’t worth getting the flag out.

“In fact several people breached the same rule by waving Saltires and Union Jacks before, during and after the three set match. Somewhat ironic that these critics are not consistent in their condemnation – which proves that it has nothing to do with the flag nor the ruling – it is a political stunt by Salmond’s opponents and nothing more. A clear indication that these so-called great Britons are looking to overshadow one of the greatest Scottish sporting achievements of this generation, to further their own political cause.”

We’re comparing how fans behave with how we should expect the First Minister of Scotland to behave. Seriously? Did anyone doubt he was there to support Andy? No.

“A clear indication that these so-called great Britons are looking to overshadow one of the greatest Scottish sporting achievements of this generation, to further their own political cause.”

Oh dear god. It’s laughable. It really is.

“I cannot deny that it was great moment, convenient and a perfect photo opportunity for pro-independence supporters, but the only peddlers of political stunts are those denouncing the First Minister for actually supporting a Scot in a way that most Scots would do.”

Not even sure what to say about the above statement.

“Here is a wee ditty for those critics of Salmond’s patriotic flag waving to sink their teeth into..”

Yes, I guess it’s only fitting that the Scotzine article should end with a video of the Scottish Rugby team singing Flower of Scotland. Who are they playing in the video? England no less.  

Yes, I forgot you can’t be much of a Scot if you criticise Alex Salmond. That's me told.

For me the Wimbledon final was about supporting Andy Murray. Nothing else.
[ Last edit by IonaRed July 24, 2013, 02:36 AM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1002 on: July 24, 2013, 12:01 PM »

I see no reason why Alex Salmond could not wave the Saltire. He is entitled to do so after all it is Scotlands National Flag and he is the first minister of Scotland. There is no reason why Scots can't do this I really can't understand why we cannot. After all when it comes down to it Andy Murray is a Scot.I bet when an English player ever wins Wimbledon the St George Cross will be waved (If it ever happens) and will the rest of the country take offence, no I don't think so.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1003 on: September 18, 2013, 08:15 PM »

With exactly one year to go before the referendum, has anyone who voted or posted on this thread been persuaded to change/make up their mind by either the Yes or No campaigners, and how effective do people think the respective campaigns have been so far?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1004 on: September 18, 2013, 08:45 PM »

From a tennis perspective, if Scotland goes independent, 2014 (or maybe 2015) will be Andy's last playing Davis Cup.  Don't think he'd play for either Scotland or a new/smaller GB. Also, don't think he'd be in Rio either.  In fact, there'll be quite a number of sports people who wouldn't represent Scotland - cyclists and rowers for example who can't be expected to jeopardise their career by giving up all the training and coaching and funding currently available to them.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 ... 247 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »