Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 ... 247 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 56179 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1125 on: September 25, 2013, 07:07 PM »

Aileen4Primeinister
To be honest, I would hate to be a politician.  The thought of spending years breaking promises, spouting half-truths and telling downright lies has no appeal whatsoever. Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1126 on: September 27, 2013, 02:14 AM »

The pensions agency has confirmed that UK state pensions will continue to be paid to people in Scotland if the country becomes independent, according to the First Minister.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/241044-alex-salmond-independence-will-have-no-effect-on-state-pensions/

I guess on the one hand, he would be correct, as current pensioners would continue to receive their pension from the UK government (like if you moved to Spain), but it doesn't mention future pensioners, should Scotland become independent.  Surely they would be the responsibility of that government and any pensioners receiving rUK pensions, would only recieve the pension set by that government and not an independent Scottish government.

I'm not sure how pensions work, should you live outside the UK (but within the EEA) - perhaps someone might be able to enlighten us all????  
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1127 on: September 27, 2013, 03:06 AM »

Reading that article, the DWP state that "what is absolutely clear is that it will be the responsibility of an independent Scottish Government, not the UK Government, to make arrangement for pensions for citizens of an independent Scotland. There can be no guarantee that it will be at the same level as it is now."  That makes sense to me because, if pensions were to be kept on being paid by the UK government, how could Scotland claim to be fully independent?  This is yet another discrepancy which is going to have to be ironed out before the referendum.

As a pensioner myself, no way will I even consider voting Yes, unless the SNP can give a firm commitment that pensions will remain at the same level the UK pension is at at the time Scotland actually becomes independent.  I've heard talk that pensions could be increased, but see this is yet another vague promise.  The SNP are very good at dangling carrots in front of our eyes, only they don't seem to realise that we aren't all donkeys. 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1128 on: September 27, 2013, 04:34 AM »

Gosh, I don't really envy anyone working their way through this little minefield. 

The Scottish government can't really promise any increase in pension in an independent Scotland (vote pending) if rUK are paying the pension, can they?  They can only increase those pensions that they would be paying dontknow
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1129 on: September 27, 2013, 05:23 AM »

The whole thing's a minefield as far as I'm concerned!  However re pensions, you might find reading this of some help, although I found it a little confusing - http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/what-about-pensions-independent-scotland
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1130 on: September 27, 2013, 08:12 AM »

WTF! confused

One says there will be no changes to your pension:-

The UK state pension would continue to be paid to people living in an independent Scotland, the pension agency has said.

The comments came in a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions, which was quoted by Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond.

However, the DWP later said it was looking into whether its content was misleading.

The letter was sent to one of Mr Salmond's constituents.

Written in the name of a pension service customer adviser and dated 4 January, 2013, it stated: "If Scotland does become independent, this will have no effect on your state pension - you will continue to receive it just as you do at present."

but then the YES Scotland website says that the Scottish government (on independence) will pay your pension:-

Your state pension will be paid in the same way, but simply by the Scottish Government rather than Westminster.

As we move forward, independence will offer the opportunity to make improvements based on the needs and priorities of the people of Scotland and based on the policies you vote for in elections to the Scottish Parliament.

The Scottish Government has made clear that accrued pension rights will continue to be honoured after independence.

So state pensions will continue to be paid as before. And so will public sector pensions – including civil service, army, police, fire-fighters, NHS, universities, teachers and local government pensions. Some of these schemes are already administered by the Scottish Government.

There will be agreement between the Scottish and UK governments as to the exact share of pension liabilities to be taken on by the Scottish Government – but it has repeatedly been made clear that no accrued pension rights will be lost.

Good luck following that one Aileen! crossfingers
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1131 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55 PM »

^ Thanks Bev. Very Happy  I'm glad you're as confused as I am, but unfortunately this isn't the first, and probably isn't the last, similar statement issuing from the Yes Campaign, although it's unarguably the worst example I've seen.  In fairness though, some statements put forth by the No Campaign aren't nuch better.  If these are intended to help the undecided electorate as well as clarify things in general, they'll have to do a lot better than this.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1132 on: October 04, 2013, 12:20 AM »

I wasn't really sure where to put this photo. It's an invite that Kevin Bridges (Scottish comedian) received from no.10. It made me wonder if this event is an annual thing. I would assume Andy received one.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1133 on: October 04, 2013, 01:33 AM »

And his response to such invite

The star tweeted the picture with the caption: “Got this through the door today, my heart is saying “f*** that” and my head is saying “Aye, f*** that.”

Couldn't have just said no thank you. dontknow

Also, maybe having an event this year as the day falls on a Saturday, and not a 'business' day. Again dontknow

This was last year's message:-

St Andrew's Day marked by Alex Salmond and David Cameron
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20549153
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1134 on: October 04, 2013, 01:57 AM »

The star tweeted the picture with the caption: “Got this through the door today, my heart is saying “f*** that” and my head is saying “Aye, f*** that.”

Also, maybe having an event this year as the day falls on a Saturday, and not a 'business' day. Again dontknow

Not very polite I agree. I only seen it because someone I follow retweeted it. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Bridges. Like so many Scottish comedians he's happy to focus on all the negative stereotypes of the Scots and I hate that.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1135 on: October 04, 2013, 03:01 AM »

I'll admit that I've never heard of him, but there are lots of comedians that I've not heard of now that I'm out of the UK.

It's nice to hear that my favourite comedian is coming back to New Zealand next year - Billy Connolly lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1136 on: October 04, 2013, 03:50 AM »

I like Kevin Bridges as a comedian, but I can imagine that he isn't the politest of people.

Also I felt so pleased that My 70th birthday received the attention it deserved. #veryhumble

I'll admit that I've never heard of him, but there are lots of comedians that I've not heard of now that I'm out of the UK.

It's nice to hear that my favourite comedian is coming back to New Zealand next year - Billy Connolly lol
Ooh you lucky so-and-so!  I remember the last time he visited NZ and really enjoyed following his travels to various places on TV.

Have you heard the recent news though, i.e. that Billy admitted last week that he was operated on for prostate cancer, which fortunately had been diagnosed in its early stages, but that he had now recovered and been given the all-clear?  Unfortunately he's also been diagnosed as having Parkinson's Disease.  It too is in its early stages and so can be managed and won't affect his career, but the prognosis is that it will eventually get worse. Frown

Anyway about a year ago I was waiting to cross a road at the traffic lights when I noticed a very unusual but familiar car approaching,  Sure enough it was the Big Yin himself, so I gave him a wave, and he waved back.  Made my day, that did! Very Happy
[ Last edit by Aileen October 04, 2013, 03:57 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1137 on: October 04, 2013, 06:38 AM »

My mistake, I've just noticed that date to celebrate St Andrew's day is the 28th doh

Yes, very lucky to have Billy back here. Hoping he will be in Hamilton again. Yes, had heard about his recent health issues and glad that the cancer treatment was successful and that his early detection of parkinsons isn't going to deter him from going on tour. National treasure that man!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1138 on: November 26, 2013, 11:55 AM »

Timely bump n' that.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/194791/0052321.pdf
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1139 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39 PM »

White Paper: keep all the bits the we like and get rid of the bits we don't like.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 ... 247 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »