Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 200 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 45131 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1185 on: November 27, 2013, 08:19 PM »

I didn't say your post wasn't polite - I said my answer wouldn't be polite - and I'd rather say nothing than be rude.

Fair enough. I just don't believe Scotland will become independent sorry.

But I hope stuff can be done to make you happy anyway.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1186 on: November 27, 2013, 08:28 PM »

That was never going to happen.  To be able to cut class sizes we would have had to have the infrastructure to house the extra classes created - which we just don't have.  Instead many of the young, newly and highly qualified Scottish teachers have been forced to seek work south of the border where they have been welcomed with open arms - my daughter and several of her friends included!  A huge loss to the Scottish workforce.

Never believed for a minute it was going to happen .... and now they are making a whole lot of new promises in the event of independence. Doubt they will ever happen either - but the UK could be broken up if enough folk believe they might.  That's my worry!
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1187 on: November 27, 2013, 08:39 PM »

Just been listening to some of the responses to an independent Scotland and the Project Fear some are talking about.  Wouldn't the biggest fear be a Conservative/UKIP coalition at the next election, now that's fear.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1188 on: November 27, 2013, 08:42 PM »

Never believed for a minute it was going to happen .... and now they are making a whole lot of new promises in the event of independence. Doubt they will ever happen either - but the UK could be broken up if enough folk believe they might.  That's my worry!

I don't believe the electorate are that stupid - at least I hope they aren't!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1189 on: November 27, 2013, 08:54 PM »

I don't believe the electorate are that stupid - at least I hope they aren't!

My thoughts exactly!!!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1190 on: November 27, 2013, 08:55 PM »

Politics, Bollocktics. Load of pish. Ignorance is key.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1191 on: November 27, 2013, 09:17 PM »

The personal is political and the political is personal.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1192 on: November 27, 2013, 09:35 PM »

Politics, Bollocktics. Load of pish. Ignorance is key.

Unfortunately, this vote is just a little more important than that Gangsta.  If the country makes a mistake at a General Election we have to live with it for five years at the most - if Scotland makes a mistake in the independence referendum we have to live with it ad infinitum - scary stuff!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1193 on: November 27, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Just been listening to some of the responses to an independent Scotland and the Project Fear some are talking about.  Wouldn't the biggest fear be a Conservative/UKIP coalition at the next election, now that's fear.

Best thing about UKIP (in my opinion) is that it mostly splits the Tory vote. And the Tories have not been ahead in the opinion polls since late 2010 anyway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election (other opinion poll comparison sites are available).

Some here like to depict the rUK, London and the SE especially, as Cameron/Boris loving Tories, enjoying the high life. Some facts and figures to back up this view would be helpful. Yes there are the very rich - and there are also the rest of us.  I've heard Aberdeen isn't short of multi-millionaires either. There are rich and poor, and everyone in between, everywhere. Good luck to Independent Scotland where everyone will be more equal.

I live in London, which voted slightly in favour of Labour at the 2010 election http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/region/3.stm. Our local Labour MP increased his majority, and the council reverted to Labour after one 4 yr period of Con/Lib dem coalition. I'm by no means complacent,  but this perpetual Tory government that Project Positive speak of is pure speculation.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Lib Dem vote next time - I know a lot of first time voters (locally) who felt very let down by irresponsible promises of scrapping tuition fees. Don't think they'll be voting Lib Dem again.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1194 on: November 27, 2013, 10:35 PM »

Fair enough. I just don't believe Scotland will become independent sorry.

But I hope stuff can be done to make you happy anyway.

Thanks for that, Prod.    I have always been happy in my life whoever is in power, probably more in spite of what they do rather than because of it.    I have for many years wished to be living in a fairer society but I now believe this will not happen with Westminster rule.   I feel the best chance to make the kind of society most Scots want would come with independence.   I think staying away from this thread would be a good idea as there are too many posters who seem to be incapable of expressing their own views without denigrating other's.

And just as I post, in comes Elena with a very balanced view.    I know there is a spread of millionaires around the country but it appears from up here, and I'm sure, from a number of English regions, that the country is run to suit the SE and everyone else trails along.   So much so that I would prefer a more central capital here if
Scotland did manage to achieve independence.   
[ Last edit by Iluvandy November 27, 2013, 10:43 PM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1195 on: November 27, 2013, 10:49 PM »

Unfortunately, this vote is just a little more important than that Gangsta.  If the country makes a mistake at a General Election we have to live with it for five years at the most - if Scotland makes a mistake in the independence referendum we have to live with it ad infinitum - scary stuff!

Not just the five years.   We are still living with a Thatcher legacy and it could possibly be ad infinitum.     Certainly during my lifetime.   
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1196 on: November 27, 2013, 10:57 PM »

Well Mr Swinney, on Newsnight just now, has said that there would be no criteria for anyone to claim the childcare proposed and therefore mums can put their kids into childcare and not bother working. So where would the money come from then?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1197 on: November 28, 2013, 10:52 PM »

That's my worry too, which is why I hope that those who are not in favour of independence get off their backsides and go and vote.  It's all very well people sitting there and saying 'of course independence will never happen', but complacency is a very dangerous thing and something Salmond will take full advantage of.

Well Mr Swinney, on Newsnight just now, has said that there would be no criteria for anyone to claim the childcare proposed and therefore mums can put their kids into childcare and not bother working. So where would the money come from then?
If the SNP really do want to help with childcare, and that lack of criteria is just another example of their woolly promises, then why not put in place now?  Also I'm still puzzled by their promise to pay NEW pensioners £160 a week from 2016 yet are choosing to ignore existing pensioners.  Oh of course I forgot, we'll still be paid by London until such time as the Scottish government get round to putting a new structure in place.  Why?  If they can make a promise like the first now, then why not do the same for us?

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1198 on: November 29, 2013, 11:28 AM »

I had wondered about the pensions, all a bit confusing, isn't it?

Re voting, perhaps governments everywhere should take their lead from the Aussies - you have to vote I understand or be fined. dontknow
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1199 on: November 29, 2013, 11:30 AM »

Also, can anyone explain the currency issue. As I understand it, it boils down to LOLR not whose currency it is or isn't but I could be talking crap. yes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 200 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »