Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 ... 132 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 31260 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1200 on: November 29, 2013, 12:45 PM »

If the SNP really do want to help with childcare, and that lack of criteria is just another example of their woolly promises, then why not put in place now?  Also I'm still puzzled by their promise to pay NEW pensioners £160 a week from 2016 yet are choosing to ignore existing pensioners.  Oh of course I forgot, we'll still be paid by London until such time as the Scottish government get round to putting a new structure in place.  Why?  If they can make a promise like the first now, then why not do the same for us?

Because for Salmond to keep his ludicrous promises, taxation will have to be significantly raised. That is not going to be popular - so best not mention it until the vote has been completed.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1201 on: November 29, 2013, 12:48 PM »

Also, can anyone explain the currency issue. As I understand it, it boils down to LOLR not whose currency it is or isn't but I could be talking crap. yes

The currency question is just like the EU membership question: the SNP is making claims without any basis of fact. Salmond is wishing and hoping.

On the EU membership question, the EU has already stated that Scotland will have to re-apply for membership. Interestingly the Spanish prime-minister has indicated that he'd veto any such application (presumably to stop the Basques' engaging in the same game).
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1202 on: November 29, 2013, 01:15 PM »

The Spanish Prime Minister said no such thing! Merely that all member states would have to vote yes.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1203 on: November 29, 2013, 06:02 PM »

Re voting, perhaps governments everywhere should take their lead from the Aussies - you have to vote I understand or be fined. dontknow
I've long been an advocate of that idea because the voting percentage in the UK is pathetically low, and then people who didn't vote start whining about the party who's been elected.  Fair enough in general elections, but the decision of this referendum cannot be overturned - something more people need to realise.

Because for Salmond to keep his ludicrous promises, taxation will have to be significantly raised. That is not going to be popular - so best not mention it until the vote has been completed.
True - but if that's the case what about the expense of childcare?  Perhaps he's prepared to risk dangling this particular carrot in front of voters in the hope that it'll persuade young couples to vote Yes.

The Spanish Prime Minister said no such thing! Merely that all member states would have to vote yes.

The Spanish PM has always made it plain that he'd veto this application, as Boogers says because of the Basques, unless he's suddenly changed his mind.
[ Last edit by Aileen November 29, 2013, 08:20 PM ] IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1204 on: November 29, 2013, 07:32 PM »

The currency question is just like the EU membership question: the SNP is making claims without any basis of fact. Salmond is wishing and hoping.

On the EU membership question, the EU has already stated that Scotland will have to re-apply for membership. Interestingly the Spanish prime-minister has indicated that he'd veto any such application (presumably to stop the Basques' engaging in the same game).

And as of 2004 any country being granted membership is given it on the basis that they are agreeing to join the Euro at some point. By January 18 of the 28 members will be using it.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1205 on: November 29, 2013, 07:53 PM »

@boogers12.48pm It is the Catalans and The Basques who want to separate. The Catalans are more prosperous than the rest of Spain. They have their own dialect and want independence. It is not pie in the sky I note that boogers only puts his head up when politics are being discussed.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1206 on: November 29, 2013, 08:08 PM »

True - but if that's the case what about the expense of childcare?  Perhaps he's prepared to risk dangling this particular carrot in front of voters in the hope that it'll persuade young families to vote Yes.

Exactly. Make sky high promises which don't have a chance of being fulfilled and sort out the fallout later.

If I were Salmond, I'd be making these promises with the knowledge that I can always claim that the cost of independence was more than expected and therefore the Evil Southern Westminster Plutocrats were responsible.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1207 on: November 29, 2013, 08:08 PM »

And as of 2004 any country being granted membership is given it on the basis that they are agreeing to join the Euro at some point. By January 18 of the 28 members will be using it.

Indeed.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1208 on: November 29, 2013, 08:28 PM »

Did anyone watch question time last night. Watch it and you will see how hostile the audience was toward the Tory Government.That is the problem as far as Scots are concerned. We see them as an English party who do not represent the Scottish People. We do not vote for them yet have to put up with them because of their majority in England.Ever since Thatcher they are seen as greedy poisonous people who are for the rich and do not represent ordinary working people.Why doesn't Cameron have a debate about Scottish Independence why ? because he doesn't have the guts to do so. So he gets Alistair Darling to head up the Better Together group to do his dirty work.Also heard on the news tonight that Cameron does not want the energy companies to raise prices until after the next General Election when he hopes no one will notice.  To me that says what the Tories are like greedy and gutless.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1209 on: November 29, 2013, 08:33 PM »

@boogers12.48pm It is the Catalans and The Basques who want to separate. The Catalans are more prosperous than the rest of Spain. They have their own dialect and want independence. It is not pie in the sky I note that boogers only puts his head up when politics are being discussed.
So?  At least he talks sense and seems to be better informed than a lot of posters are, including myself.

Did anyone watch question time last night. Watch it and you will see how hostile the audience was toward the Tory Government.That is the problem as far as Scots are concerned. We see them as an English party who do not represent the Scottish People. We do not vote for them yet have to put up with them because of their majority in England.Ever since Thatcher they are seen as greedy poisonous people who are for the rich and do not represent ordinary working people.Why doesn't Cameron have a debate about Scottish Independence why ? because he doesn't have the guts to do so. So he gets Alistair Darling to head up the Better Together group to do his dirty work.Also heard on the news tonight that Cameron does not want the energy companies to raise prices until after the next General Election when he hopes no one will notice.  To me that says what the Tories are like greedy and gutless.
Yes I did watch last night's Question Time.  What a load of hot air, and half the time the panellists were so busy arguing with each other that I couldn't hear what they were saying.  I'm not a lover of the Tories, but the only sensible panellist was Annabel Goldie.  In the end I found the texted comments on the red button, ridiculous as some of them were, more interesting.

I do agree with you though about Cameron, who must be one of the most feckless PMs Britain has ever had, which is why I believe that Salmond deliberately bowed to his wishes re the questions on the ballot paper because it suited his plans to do so.  He's probably going to go at the next GE anyway.
[ Last edit by Aileen November 29, 2013, 08:47 PM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1210 on: November 29, 2013, 09:23 PM »

Did anyone watch question time last night. Watch it and you will see how hostile the audience was toward the Tory Government.That is the problem as far as Scots are concerned. We see them as an English party who do not represent the Scottish People. We do not vote for them yet have to put up with them because of their majority in England.Ever since Thatcher they are seen as greedy poisonous people who are for the rich and do not represent ordinary working people.Why doesn't Cameron have a debate about Scottish Independence why ? because he doesn't have the guts to do so. So he gets Alistair Darling to head up the Better Together group to do his dirty work.Also heard on the news tonight that Cameron does not want the energy companies to raise prices until after the next General Election when he hopes no one will notice.  To me that says what the Tories are like greedy and gutless.

Yes Llb I watched it.    Margaret Curran and Eddi Reader had a short, sharp contretemps but were well controlled by David Dimbleby.     Annabel Goldie was anodyne as usual and totally predictable in quite a pleasant way, Alastair Carmichael was useless as ever, Nicola Sturgeon was quietly confident and efficient, and I was particularly impressed with Patrick Harvie.   ~Enjoyed the programme.   
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1211 on: November 29, 2013, 10:55 PM »

As a Scot I was absolutely mortified watching Question Time last night. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have that halfwit Eddi Reader on the panel? What an obnoxious, arrogant woman.  Had she been drinking? It was the only reason I could think of for her appalling lack of manners and her ranting. I get a bit sick of the assumption that only Scots that are pro- independence are passionate about Scotland. I love my country.  I don't need someone like Reader telling me what is good for my country.  I'll make my own mind up.

BTW I wish the Scots on here would stop acting as though they speak for all Scots.  We all have our own opinions. 
[ Last edit by IonaRed November 29, 2013, 11:31 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1212 on: November 30, 2013, 12:00 AM »

Yes Llb I watched it.    Margaret Curran and Eddi Reader had a short, sharp contretemps but were well controlled by David Dimbleby.     Annabel Goldie was anodyne as usual and totally predictable in quite a pleasant way, Alastair Carmichael was useless as ever, Nicola Sturgeon was quietly confident and efficient, and I was particularly impressed with Patrick Harvie.   ~Enjoyed the programme.   
In fairness to Nicola, she does a better job of speaking about independence than Salmond does.

As a Scot I was absolutely mortified watching Question Time last night. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have that halfwit Eddi Reader on the panel? What an obnoxious, arrogant woman.  Had she been drinking? It was the only reason I could think of for her appalling lack of manners and her ranting. I get a bit sick of the assumption that only Scots that are pro- independence are passionate about Scotland. I love my country.  I don't need someone like Reader telling me what is good for my country.  I'll make my own mind up.

BTW I wish the Scots on here would stop acting as though they speak for all Scots.  We all have our own opinions.  
Reader's proper christian name is Sadenia.  It should be shortened to Sad, because that's exactly what she was on the programme - and people wonder why the Scots sometimes get a bad name?  She should stick to singing.

Also, I have never intentionally claimed to speak for all Scots but tried to put forward my own views.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1213 on: November 30, 2013, 12:08 AM »

Reader's proper christian name is Sadenia.  It should be shortened to Sad, because that's exactly what she was on the programme - and people wonder why the Scots sometimes get a bad name?  She should stick to singing.

Also, I have never intentionally claimed to speak for all Scots but tried to put forward my own views.

Absolutely. It was embarrassing listening to her rants. She was nasty and patronising.

I wasn't getting at you Eileen. I think some posters should remember that when it comes to politics we all have our own thoughts and views.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1214 on: November 30, 2013, 12:41 AM »

Absolutely. It was embarrassing listening to her rants. She was nasty and patronising.

I wasn't getting at you Eileen. I think some posters should remember that when it comes to politics we all have our own thoughts and views.
No worries Iona, and I agree with you entirely. Smile  Politics, like religion, is very much a personal thing.

I had to turn the sound off when Reader started her ranting.  Like you, I seriously began to wonder if she'd had one too many, but if that's what she's really like then I'm glad I don't have anything to do with her!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 ... 132 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »