Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 ... 119 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Scottish politics  (Read 26085 times)
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1215 on: January 28, 2014, 10:33 AM »

I watched Question Time last week hosted from Scotland and wonder how those who viewed reacted to it?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1216 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06 PM »

I watched Question Time last week hosted from Scotland and wonder how those who viewed reacted to it?
I deliberately gave it a miss, so can't comment. 

What I can comment on though is the two scruffy-looking newspapers that plopped through my letterbox last week, one from the Yes Campaign and one from the No.  Poor quality print on equally poor quality paper.  Can't these two campaigns produce better stuff than this?

I did look through both quickly and saw the same old things (a) the Yes Campaign spouting a load of half-baked promises (and the one that really took the biscuit was this wild claim -"If we become independent, Scotland will be one of the wealthiest countries in the world" Rolling Eyes), and (b) the No campaign putting forward their usual scare stories.  So nothing new in either to convince me one way or the other.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1217 on: January 28, 2014, 02:14 PM »

I've almost given up on QT.    Hadn't watched but out of curiosity I have just caught up with it on the Iplayer.    Unremarkable, i would say, like every other QT.    I find what some members of the audience say is more interesting than the politicians' offerings.    Maybe because I've heard it all before from them.    Wondering what kind of reaction you were looking for, or indeed why there should be any reaction at all.   
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1218 on: January 28, 2014, 02:49 PM »

I deliberately gave it a miss, so can't comment. 

What I can comment on though is the two scruffy-looking newspapers that plopped through my letterbox last week, one from the Yes Campaign and one from the No.  Poor quality print on equally poor quality paper.  Can't these two campaigns produce better stuff than this?

I did look through both quickly and saw the same old things (a) the Yes Campaign spouting a load of half-baked promises (and the one that really took the biscuit was this wild claim -"If we become independent, Scotland will be one of the wealthiest countries in the world" Rolling Eyes), and (b) the No campaign putting forward their usual scare stories.  So nothing new in either to convince me one way or the other.
I think a lot of people, including myself Aileen, feel the same. There's not enough 'reliable' information either way!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1219 on: January 28, 2014, 03:04 PM »

I think a lot of people, including myself Aileen, feel the same. There's not enough 'reliable' information either way!
And it doesn't help when, despite a good proportion of both Scots and English wanting one, David Cameron refuses to have a TV debate with Alex Salmond on the issue.  Mind you, Cameron knows Salmond would tie him in knots, so that wouldn't do his image, such as it is, any good.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1220 on: January 28, 2014, 04:23 PM »

Cameron is chicken and scared to debate with Salmond. He had better start looking after the people in the flooded area's in the South or they will turn on him. He would deserve it,people are living in the floods without getting much help from the UK government.Also his government are reducing the amount of money to be spent on flood defences the Minister for the Environment was given a rough time by people still living in badly flooded areas.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1221 on: January 28, 2014, 08:15 PM »

On a question like this you'll never get a clear cut direction. You have to weigh the arguments and peer through the fog.  I took the trouble to get a copy of the white paper Scotlands Future, not an easy read, but well worth dipping into. The point about a wealthy scotland is addressed there -  apparently in 2011 we were ranked 8th per capita out of 34 OECD countries, i.e. the developed world.  But thats not why i like the idea of independence. Its the increasing disjunction between London politics and the rest of the UK that makes me think we're no worse off on our own account in Europe.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1222 on: January 28, 2014, 10:32 PM »

On a question like this you'll never get a clear cut direction. You have to weigh the arguments and peer through the fog.  I took the trouble to get a copy of the white paper Scotlands Future, not an easy read, but well worth dipping into. The point about a wealthy scotland is addressed there -  apparently in 2011 we were ranked 8th per capita out of 34 OECD countries, i.e. the developed world.  But thats not why i like the idea of independence. Its the increasing disjunction between London politics and the rest of the UK that makes me think we're no worse off on our own account in Europe.

My sentiments exactly Fiverings.    Why would anyone believe guarantees from politicians from either side.    As you say peer through the fog, think for yourself, and do what you feel is right for your country.    I don't care if I am not personally any better off in money terms.    I just want to see Scotland making her own decisions.  
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1223 on: January 29, 2014, 12:40 PM »

Me too London is were all the money and jobs go to.Cameron has no love for Scotland,Maggie Thatcher did us a favour and showed how little she cared about Scotland or it's people. She destroyed all the heavy industry and left thousand unemployed and without hope of getting other work. I do hope we get independence then perhaps we can Make Scotland a better country.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1224 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27 PM »

Me too London is were all the money and jobs go to.Cameron has no love for Scotland,Maggie Thatcher did us a favour and showed how little she cared about Scotland or it's people. She destroyed all the heavy industry and left thousand unemployed and without hope of getting other work. I do hope we get independence then perhaps we can Make Scotland a better country.
   I hated Thatcher with a passion too. It's deeply ironic that she did more than anyone to bring about a Scottish parliament. It's a funny old world right enough!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1225 on: January 29, 2014, 01:58 PM »

I hated Thatcher with a passion too. It's deeply ironic that she did more than anyone to bring about a Scottish parliament. It's a funny old world right enough!
As far as I can see Cameron is doing a pretty good job as well, albeit in a rather different manner.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1226 on: January 29, 2014, 04:15 PM »

To be fair I don't think it's just people in Scotland that feel that Britain is Londoncentric.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1227 on: January 29, 2014, 04:59 PM »

To be fair I don't think it's just people in Scotland that feel that Britain is Londoncentric.

No it isn't Alis.    The North of England doesn't get a fair crack of the whip either but I don't think there is much they can do about it.    But we can and I will be very upset if we don't take the chance because I can't see any sign of a decent government in Westminster from either Tory or Labour.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1228 on: January 29, 2014, 05:19 PM »

It's certainly the reason why many people in the north and south-west of England would be quite happy to have regional assemblies which would look after more local issues, but I think pigs might fly before that happens, whereas, as @Iluvandy says, Scotland at least has an opportunity to do something about it, the problem being that the Scottish government has yet to convince a lot of voters that independence is indeed the right way forward.  Maybe if they stopped fogging things over and became more transparent about their policies it might just happen,
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1229 on: January 29, 2014, 08:21 PM »

It's certainly the reason why many people in the north and south-west of England would be quite happy to have regional assemblies which would look after more local issues, but I think pigs might fly before that happens, whereas, as @Iluvandy says, Scotland at least has an opportunity to do something about it, the problem being that the Scottish government has yet to convince a lot of voters that independence is indeed the right way forward.  Maybe if they stopped fogging things over and became more transparent about their policies it might just happen,
  With respect Aileen, independence is not about "policies" ; those would be for the elected Government of the country. It's about the mechanism for truly representing the interests and aspirations of the people of Scotland, and the kinds of policy options that would be available under independence.  I was interested in what Mark Carney had to say in Edinburgh today about options for Scotland under a currency union - nothing to frighten the horses there at all, despite the sneers of the No campaign.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 ... 119 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »