Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 ... 247 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 55328 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1350 on: February 15, 2014, 06:49 PM »

Funnily enough, this was on my front home-page when I logged onto my laptop this morning.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/canadian-expats-allowed-vote-canadian-elections-213141800.html
Should Canadian expats be allowed to vote in federal elections?

On Friday, the New Democrats introduced a private members bill which would strike down Section 11(d) of the Canada Elections Act, which states that Canadian citizens that have lived outside of Canada for more than five years cannot vote in general elections.

The law was actually passed in 1993 but wasn't strictly enforced until 2007.

"It is patently undemocratic to restrict someone’s ability to participate in our democracy because they are engaging in the myriad of opportunities available globally," New Democrat MP Megan Leslie said in a press release.

"Canadians living outside the country still have a vested interest in the decisions of government, taxation, our economy, our justice system and rights.

"Canadians living abroad are a significant asset to Canada, domestically and internationally. These folks may not hold citizenship somewhere else and yet they are being totally and unreasonably disenfranchised."
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1351 on: February 15, 2014, 06:49 PM »

That is their negotiating position -  the pound is a shared UK asset and they are not in a position to state anything categorically. An independent Scottish Government would clearly have a number of options but they have stated that they will be campaigning on retaining the pound and calling Osbornes bluff. Osborne is a politician , not an economist.  No economist has said that it can't happen, as far as I'm aware.

From Adam Tomkins, John Millar Professor of Public Law at the University of Glasgow, who appeared as a witness before the House of Commons Scottish Affairs Committee on 15 January 2014, alongside two other academics: Prof Kenneth Armstrong (whose expertise is in EU Law) and Prof Iain McLean (who is a political scientist).

"The Scottish Government’s independence white paper appears to be have been written without regard to the distinction between institutions (on the one hand) and assets and liabilities (on the other). As a result, Scotland’s Future falls into legal error in numerous places. The following are among the key examples.

On the pound, the white paper states that “The pound is Scotland’s currency just as much as it is the rest of the UK’s” (p. 7). This is incorrect. The pound is Scotland’s currency now precisely because Scotland is part of the UK now. If Scots vote to leave the UK they will be voting to leave the UK’s institutions, including the pound. As we all know, Scotland could then seek to negotiate its way back into these institutions but the rUK would agree to this only if it was persuaded that it was in the national interest of the rUK do to so. And, as we further know, the current UK Government have indicated that it is “highly unlikely” that it would be in the interests of the rUK for it to enter a formal currency union with an independent Scotland, at least without a binding fiscal pact. This does not mean that Scotland would be unable to use the pound: any State may use the currency of another State (as Panama uses the US dollar). But for a State to make this choice means that that State has no control over its monetary policy or interest rates: rather, these matters are effectively surrendered to a foreign power".

More at http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/the-hidden-costs-of-independence/#comments

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1352 on: February 15, 2014, 07:20 PM »

Every English person I speak to hopes for a yes vote.  They're sick of hearing about it.  Personally I don't care.  As my old mum used to say "you made the bed, now you lay in it, but don't come crying to me if it all goes wrong" and I agree.
That goes for me too FCR.  I'm a Scot, born and bred, and proud of my country, but if the majority of voters want to choose the independence route, then so be it.  Fortunately for the Yes campaign the politicians at Westminster are doing a great job of helping Salmond's cause. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1353 on: February 15, 2014, 07:22 PM »

From Adam Tomkins, John Millar Professor of Public Law at the University of Glasgow, who appeared as a witness before the House of Commons Scottish Affairs Committee on 15 January 2014, alongside two other academics: Prof Kenneth Armstrong (whose expertise is in EU Law) and Prof Iain McLean (who is a political scientist).

"The Scottish Government’s independence white paper appears to be have been written without regard to the distinction between institutions (on the one hand) and assets and liabilities (on the other). As a result, Scotland’s Future falls into legal error in numerous places. The following are among the key examples.

On the pound, the white paper states that “The pound is Scotland’s currency just as much as it is the rest of the UK’s” (p. 7). This is incorrect. The pound is Scotland’s currency now precisely because Scotland is part of the UK now. If Scots vote to leave the UK they will be voting to leave the UK’s institutions, including the pound. As we all know, Scotland could then seek to negotiate its way back into these institutions but the rUK would agree to this only if it was persuaded that it was in the national interest of the rUK do to so. And, as we further know, the current UK Government have indicated that it is “highly unlikely” that it would be in the interests of the rUK for it to enter a formal currency union with an independent Scotland, at least without a binding fiscal pact. This does not mean that Scotland would be unable to use the pound: any State may use the currency of another State (as Panama uses the US dollar). But for a State to make this choice means that that State has no control over its monetary policy or interest rates: rather, these matters are effectively surrendered to a foreign power".

More at http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/the-hidden-costs-of-independence/#comments

Yes, I read all that too. It's a legal opinion. I'm interested in the politics, and that addresses the real world. Scotland could survive without the pound - but everyone apart from the No campaign agrees that the pound would suit both countries better if they were separate. If they don't want to play ball, so be it.
[ Last edit by Fiverings February 15, 2014, 07:28 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1354 on: February 15, 2014, 07:27 PM »

@FRC Well well the English are happy to be rid of Scotland. That is wonderful please tell me why Osborne & Co are fighting tooth and nail to keep us. Ill tell you why they want the oil that Scotland has in its territorial waters. The English are determined to get out of europe who are they going to trade with ? you are becoming more isolationist in a world that is getting smaller every day. Look at all the fuss when the EU was going to put a charge on transactions made in the city of London.Edinburgh has a big banking sector perhaps if England does leave the EU we could pick up the business. So its a trade of,Scotland has always had good links with Europe perhaps we can pick up the slack. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months especially if Ukip wins more seats and the Conservatives start to lose seats to them. Bring on the vote on european referendum it will be interesting to see the result.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1355 on: February 15, 2014, 07:31 PM »

@FRC Well well the English are happy to be rid of Scotland. That is wonderful please tell me why Osborne & Co are fighting tooth and nail to keep us. Ill tell you why they want the oil that Scotland has in its territorial waters. The English are determined to get out of europe who are they going to trade with ? you are becoming more isolationist in a world that is getting smaller every day. Look at all the fuss when the EU was going to put a charge on transactions made in the city of London.Edinburgh has a big banking sector perhaps if England does leave the EU we could pick up the business. So its a trade of,Scotland has always had good links with Europe perhaps we can pick up the slack. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months especially if Ukip wins more seats and the Conservatives start to lose seats to them. Bring on the vote on european referendum it will be interesting to see the result.

Why do you hate the English so much? We were kind enough to save your country from becoming a land of no hope. Respect is deserved to these borders.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1356 on: February 15, 2014, 07:37 PM »

We were kind enough to save your country from becoming a land of no hope. Respect is deserved to these borders.
You're treading on very thin ice here. Whistle
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1357 on: February 15, 2014, 07:37 PM »

Yes, I read all that too. It's a legal opinion. I'm interested in the politics, and that addresses the real world. Scotland could survive without the pound - but everyone apart from the Yes campaign agrees that the pound would suit both countries better if they were separate. If they don't want to play ball, so be it.

OK - although I assume you mean No, rather than Yes? But you (and lots of others) say the pound is an asset as if that was an undeniable fact.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1358 on: February 15, 2014, 07:37 PM »

Why do you hate the English so much? We were kind enough to save your country from becoming a land of no hope. Respect is deserved to these borders.
   Hatred of the English ain't what this is about, but Scotlands role is massive in every sphere of human endeavour. We helped make Britain what it is today, but the world is different now and the old politics is dying - with England the most hidebound of all.   Scottish independence could be the jolt England needs to modernise its class bound establishment politics
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1359 on: February 15, 2014, 07:38 PM »

You're treading on very thin ice here. Whistle

I posted that on May 31st 1974?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1360 on: February 15, 2014, 07:39 PM »

I dont hate the English especially one who is still wet behind the ears Gangsta. I was answering a question from one of your countrymen who said that his English friends did not care if the Scots got independence. I could turn it around and say why do the English hate the Scots so it works both ways. I could also say a lot about your attitude towards Andy Murray talk about negativity. You have a lot to learn maybe when you eventually grow up we can have a real discussion about your views.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1361 on: February 15, 2014, 07:41 PM »

I dont hate the English especially one who is still wet behind the ears Gangsta. I was answering a question from one of your countrymen who said that his English friends did not care if the Scots got independence. I could turn it around and say why do the English hate the Scots so it works both ways. I could also say a lot about your attitude towards Andy Murray talk about negativity. You have a lot to learn maybe when you eventually grow up we can have a real discussion about your views.

What the **** are you talking about? Lol, just ******* lol. I'm human, I'm allowed to share my opinions. You're very ageist mate.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1362 on: February 15, 2014, 07:51 PM »

What the **** are you talking about? Lol, just ******* lol. I'm human, I'm allowed to share my opinions. You're very ageist mate.

But if you've been posting since 1974, you're older than we thought!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1363 on: February 15, 2014, 07:51 PM »

But if you've been posting since 1974, you're older than we thought!

Indeed! lol I wonder what caused that to happen on the quote Think
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1364 on: February 15, 2014, 07:53 PM »

Please post things that aren't so hateful towards youth. Yawn.

Please post things that make some sense.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 ... 247 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »