Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question:  If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 257 Go Down Reply
Author

Scottish politics

(Read 62458 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1770 on: March 24, 2014, 01:52 PM »

I am proud to be Scottish and all the wonderful things my country has contributed to the world. I am also Australian and proud of that too where your class is counted for nothing and you are treated  as yourself and not from what class you are and not for the school you went too.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1771 on: March 24, 2014, 02:13 PM »

Why?

Cos you've been over there since you were about three, if I'm not mistaken.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1772 on: March 24, 2014, 03:07 PM »

It's funny how you still see yourself as English.
Why?

I have dual citizenship, but this is what greets you in my hallway. As the saying goes: You Can Take The Lass Out Of Scotland, But You Can't Take The Scotland Out Of The Lass.

* Kilt table 002.JPG (720.14 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 15 times.)
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1773 on: March 24, 2014, 10:21 PM »

Cos you've been over there since you were about three, if I'm not mistaken.

7 actually, although I guess not much difference. Have just always felt English and preferred to support England and Britain in sports etc. Possibly to do with the all teasing about being a "pom" and "go back home" when I was first in school here and my parents also found people to be very anti-English at first. My Dad says it's probably made him much more patriotic of England than he ever was when he lived there.  Have also never taken NZ citizenship so am not legally an NZer either.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1774 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48 AM »

Billy Connolly on Independence.........."I don't have great belief in the Union of England and Scotland, but I have a great belief in the union of the human race. I'm not gonna say! It's too important for people like me to put in their tuppenceworth! But, I'm really tired of people saying that England won the war and calling Britain England! I think that does more harm. But......you must remember that the Union saved Scotland. Scotland was bankrupt and the English opened us up to their American and Canadian markets, from which we just flowered. And I dislike patriots. I'm deeply suspicious of patriotism! People following the band you know? I don't want to be part of it......it's paved with fools!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1775 on: May 01, 2014, 08:14 PM »

Billy Connolly on Independence.........."I don't have great belief in the Union of England and Scotland, but I have a great belief in the union of the human race. I'm not gonna say! It's too important for people like me to put in their tuppenceworth! But, I'm really tired of people saying that England won the war and calling Britain England! I think that does more harm. But......you must remember that the Union saved Scotland. Scotland was bankrupt and the English opened us up to their American and Canadian markets, from which we just flowered. And I dislike patriots. I'm deeply suspicious of patriotism! People following the band you know? I don't want to be part of it......it's paved with fools!
clap

And Mr. Salmond on Putin?  This world would be a better place if everyone saw the 'bigger picture' rather than concentrating on their own 'little pocket' driven by self interest.
[ Last edit by Elly May 01, 2014, 08:18 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1776 on: May 01, 2014, 10:26 PM »

clap

And Mr. Salmond on Putin?  This world would be a better place if everyone saw the 'bigger picture' rather than concentrating on their own 'little pocket' driven by self interest.
   Ah but where does self interest end and community spirit begin?  Of course you can't have one without the other.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1777 on: May 01, 2014, 10:55 PM »

^ I don't agree...  Quel Surprise! 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1778 on: May 02, 2014, 10:53 AM »

^ I don't agree...  Quel Surprise! 
   Not a question of agreeing or not - it's a simple fact. They're two sides of the same coin.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1779 on: May 02, 2014, 11:29 AM »

Ah but where does self interest end and community spirit begin?  Of course you can't have one without the other.

Nonsense!   You can have community spirit and be completely devoid of self interest.  I see examples of it all the time in our isolated community.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1780 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38 AM »

Nonsense!   You can have community spirit and be completely devoid of self interest.  I see examples of it all the time in our isolated community.
   I think I am misunderstood. I don't mean selfishness, I mean acting for your own wellbeing.  Community spirit and personal wellbeing are completely integrated. I'm certain that the people devoid of self interest you speak of are well supported in the community, and would continue to be so if they fell on difficult times.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1781 on: May 02, 2014, 01:42 PM »

Not a question of agreeing or not - it's a simple fact. They're two sides of the same coin.
How on earth is your opinion on this a fact?  It's your opinion on something, that's all - and that's fine, but it's no way a 'fact'.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1782 on: May 02, 2014, 02:26 PM »

How on earth is your opinion on this a fact?  It's your opinion on something, that's all - and that's fine, but it's no way a 'fact'.
  OK, I'll concede that, but not that one exists independently of the other.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1783 on: May 02, 2014, 02:37 PM »

OK, I'll concede that, but not that one exists independently of the other.
It's a fascinating debate, Fiverings, but I doubt unless you can get inside someone else's head and read his or her motivation, it's up for a challenge.  However, we'll agree to disagree.  We're getting good at this!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Scottish politics « Reply #1784 on: May 03, 2014, 07:32 PM »

And I see it in the middle of London.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 257 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »