Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The 'Light-hearted' News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 Go Down Reply
Author

The 'Light-hearted' News Thread

(Read 25710 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #600 on: June 11, 2011, 07:54 AM »

Cameron was at the Rafa match today, reading the bloody paper...

no
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #601 on: June 12, 2011, 02:34 AM »

VERY smart looking PC ...

Larry the cat make first kills at Downing Street... so at least one of Cameron's policies is working

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002164/Larry-cat-make-kills-Downing-Street--Camerons-policies-working.html#ixzz1OtzctK1X
Love the title. Very Happy

Somebody ought to tell Cameron that where you get rats you won't get mice, so if he's got a mouse infestation ...  Also my understanding is that some breeds of dog are more likely to catch rats than cats.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #602 on: June 12, 2011, 07:24 PM »

Did no-one else watch the Trooping of the Colour - it's always so well done.

Love the very gentle looking face of the horse Prince William is riding.

IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #603 on: June 12, 2011, 07:41 PM »

no
Poser. Just there to try to show that he is one of us. A real tennis fan would never read a paper at such an important match. Shame on him!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #604 on: June 12, 2011, 07:45 PM »

He wasn't reading the paper when I saw him!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #605 on: June 22, 2011, 08:30 PM »

York council builds fence through goalposts

Council bosses have admitted scoring an "own goal" after a fence was built through the middle of football goalposts in a park in York.

The new fencing was installed at a cost of £6,000 on playing fields in Heworth.

It was erected before £37,000 worth of new play equipment is phased in at the park over the next few weeks.

Dave Meigh, City of York Council's head of parks and open spaces, said: "We recognise that the failure to relocate the goalposts is a real own goal.

* _53568655_goalpost_2.jpg (16.68 KB, 304x171 - viewed 73 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #606 on: June 25, 2011, 03:11 PM »

^ doh doh

Moggy paddle! Cat left paralysed after car crash learns to walk again by taking SWIMMING lessons [Mail, 25 June]

Worse for wear: Mog the grey tabby after the car accident which left him with no feeling in his front two legs. Owner Veronica Ashworth was told he would never walk again BUT

Mog is slowly learning to use them again in a hydrotherapy pool normally used by more enthusiastic dogs.  He can now bear his own weight on his front two legs after ten lessons in the pool.

Owner Veronica Ashworth said Mog initially looked 'horrified' when he was brought to the hydrotherapy centre in St Issey, Cornwall.  But he soon leapt in with a bit of encouragement by Mrs Ashworth, from Lostwithiel, Cornwall.  She said: 'I know it's quite unusual for cats to swim but he's such a character. Most cats do anything to avoid water, but he seems to really like swimming in the pool. He takes it quite seriously.

'Now he can do circuits of the pool, he makes a lot of noise about it but he does it.  He does a sort of funny doggy paddle, it's hilarious to watch as he swims as he makes gurgling noises and meows loudly. I think he realises it is doing him good.  He has always liked water, and used to hang round the bath and wash basin.'

'He's such an extrovert that when there were some students in watching him swim he was really showing off.  The therapy is working and there's definitely improvement.' Mog sustained horrific injuries and spent six weeks on a drip after a car smashed into him in a hit-and-run incident in February.  The one-year-old did not break any bones in the smash - but suffered nerve damage which left his two front legs completely paralysed.  Mrs Ashworth, 62, was told her pet would never walk again and watched as he slowly learned to move by pushing himself along with his back legs. He could also only sit up on his hind legs - like a Meerkat - as he could not put any weight on his damaged front legs.  A local vet suggested that hydrotherapy classes could help.

He has now been attending the £30 sessions for ten weeks and has made has made a 'vast improvement', according to Mrs Ashworth.  Trainer Ros Boisseau said Mog was the first cat she had ever treated at the centre and she was 'amazed' with by his progress.  She said: 'The first time I put him in the water he looked at me in horror but I told Veronica to call him and then he meowed at her and struck out across the pool to her. By using and stretching out his legs he is slowly regaining the strength in them.  He really is amazing. I've never treated a cat with hydrotherapy before - cats don't tend to like swimming, so I doubt there'll be a rush of cats coming in for swimming therapy.'

Mog undertakes his treatment at Hawksland Canine Hydrotherapy centre in St Issey, Cornwall.  He swims in a specially designed 13ft long pool - usually reserved for dogs - in 3ft deep water for 15 minutes.

The grandmother-of-two said: 'There is still a significant amount of nerve damage but he has already improved.  His left leg is still bent but a few weeks ago he started to put weight on his right leg, which was amazing. It really is a huge improvement.  I'm really happy that it's this which has improved his quality of life.'

She added that it was 'no surprise' Mog had got himself into trouble as he was always disappearing and turning up in strange places.  The adventurous moggy survived severe flooding last November and moved with his owner into temporary accommodation, for three months.  Mrs Ashworth also found out that he had been wandering about through the day, and had been bought back from shops, band practice, an auction room and even a dentist.

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #607 on: June 25, 2011, 03:18 PM »

Awwww,,,,what a heartwarming story Aileen!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #608 on: June 25, 2011, 05:01 PM »

Though the cat rather than liking it is more liking thinking 'what the **** I survive a car crash and now she's trying to drown me!'
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #609 on: June 25, 2011, 06:29 PM »

Ooh MEOW!!  Hazel, no cat would go near water if it didn't want to.  There are exceptions to every animal rule, and I reckon this is one of them.  For example, not all dogs like water and a friend has a cat who loves paddling in the bath.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #610 on: June 25, 2011, 07:45 PM »

^
... Jesus taught in the Bible that when a man curses or uses profanity it is a
sign of evil that was in that man's heart ...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #611 on: June 25, 2011, 07:47 PM »

^ yes
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #612 on: June 26, 2011, 07:27 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13918943
IP Logged
spocler
Futures Level

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #613 on: June 26, 2011, 07:39 PM »

I have to push  my cat away from the bath - he loves to jump in, then realises how deep it is. But he's strange anyway; he follows me outside like a dog.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #614 on: June 26, 2011, 07:40 PM »

I have to push  my cat away from the bath - he loves to jump in,
That's so awesome! Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »