Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The 'Light-hearted' News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread  (Read 24546 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #645 on: July 29, 2011, 06:27 AM »

"adorable princess"   vomit
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #646 on: July 29, 2011, 07:28 AM »

Awwww.....poor wee mite! What a stupid woman!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #647 on: July 29, 2011, 11:21 AM »

Amazing it survived!!! How on earth?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #648 on: July 29, 2011, 11:22 AM »

Miracle?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #649 on: September 09, 2011, 03:35 AM »

Boozing moose is rescued after becoming drunkenly stranded up apple tree [Mail, 7 Sept]

It's a situation many can sympathise with - having one too many and attempting physical feats you'd never consider while sober.

But in this case the shamed boozy culprit was not human, but a moose who had become stuck several feet off the ground in an apple tree.

The inebriated creature managed to trap itself amongst the branches of the tree in Gothenburg after apparently becoming drunk while eating fermented apples.

Police believe it had reached for apples higher up the tree before finding itself wedged in the branches and unable to escape.

The stricken animal was discovered by Per Johansson outside his home in Saro, south Gothenburg when he returned home from work.

Rescuers managed to free the moose the same night, after which Johansson said the animal lay down for a while, apparently recovering while in a drunken stupour.

Mr Johansson told Swedish newspaper The Local: 'I thought at first that someone was having a laugh. Then I went over to take a look and spotted an elk stuck in an apple tree with only one leg left on the ground.

'I thought it looked pretty bad so I called the police who sent out an on-call hunter.

'My neighbour recognised it as the animal that almost ran into her car earlier in the day. She was pretty sure the elk was already under the influence.'

The moose lay on the ground overnight outside Mr Johansson's house, before finally getting up the next morning and wandering off with a hangover.

Boozing mooses are not uncommon in Scandinavia, where the creatures are occasionally spotted eating rotting fruit which drops to the group and ferments.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #650 on: October 02, 2011, 11:07 AM »

^ lol

Came across this in my International Express this week

A British website, set up to provide the unemployed basic literacy and interview skills, has come under fire after spelling mistakes, grammatical and typographical errors were seen on its online page.

http://www.newkerala.com/news/2011/worldnews-71800.html

I think that this one for Nigel superman Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #651 on: October 02, 2011, 11:57 AM »

^ Utterly laughable!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #652 on: October 02, 2011, 12:45 PM »

However, it's maybe less significant when you consider they all appear to be typos rather than genuine mistakes caused by ignorance. So the non-sensationalised story is the website was simply a rushed job.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #653 on: October 03, 2011, 12:31 AM »

However, it's maybe less significant when you consider they all appear to be typos rather than genuine mistakes caused by ignorance. So the non-sensationalised story is the website was simply a rushed job.
I disagree with you there.  Whilst there were undoubtedly typos, from some of the spelling and grammar I've seen generally I'm quite prepared to believe that there were mistakes due to ignorance.  Whatever the reason, though, laziness seems to lie at the root of the problem.  In today's hi-tec world, how long does it take to run a spell-check on a computer and use its guide in order to correct these mistakes, particularly in literature that's going out into the public domain?

However, the other point was equally valid, i.e. that after two months nothing had been done to rectify these errors, and that's disgraceful.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #654 on: October 03, 2011, 01:11 AM »

Rush job or not, how much effort does it take to run it through spell check and if they were getting paid the money reported to set up something like that, then a bit of proof reading wouldn't have gone amiss.

I don't ever remember your website being like that Very Happy
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #655 on: October 03, 2011, 08:58 AM »

I think that's utterly ridiculous! That's 'us' who've paid all that money to those eejits! ARRRRRRGH!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #656 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26 AM »

A New Zealand beer, Tui, is famous for it's billboards here. Generally they make some sarcastic statement relating to a current event followed by "yeah right" which is NZ and Australian slang for "bull****" or as Mark Watson joked "no, wrong" rather than what it actually says lol

Often they are about NZ politics so probably not worth posting here but they used to do a lot about George Bush too. They change them fairly regularly, often weekly when some issue worth joking about comes up.

Anyway, after the All Blacks beat France last weekend they put up a new one on Monday in reference to finally beating France at a World Cup saying "Job's Done......Yeah right." It's kind of unfortunate and causing a slight fuss now with Steve Jobs passing away yesterday, especially as it's on a major stretch of Auckland motorway and it's obscure enough that some people may not get it!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #657 on: October 07, 2011, 03:01 AM »

Ah they are now painting over it. lol

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10757243
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #658 on: October 07, 2011, 04:42 AM »

doh
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: The 'Light-hearted' News Thread « Reply #659 on: November 09, 2011, 08:39 AM »

I was sad to hear of the news of Sir Jimmy Saville's death but just love what I've read about his funeral arrangements:-

On Thursday, Sir Jimmy will be buried in one of his trademark tracksuits.

He will be set at an angle of 45 degrees at a cemetery in Scarborough "to enable him to see the sea", funeral director Robert Morphet confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15647363

Legend!

I always wanted Jim to fix for me.

* SNF15SPD5-682_1292182a.jpg (122.65 KB, 682x670 - viewed 81 times.)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »