Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The Alcohol Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: How many units of alcohol a week do you typically drink?
None - 8 (47.1%)
1-10 - 4 (23.5%)
11-25 - 3 (17.6%)
26-40 - 2 (11.8%)
40+ - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 18 Go Down Reply
Author

The Alcohol Thread

(Read 5120 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 10:15 PM »

See you're probably the sort of person that if I met at a party I would make it my mission to get you to enjoy yourself yes
I'd be pissed already so you'd be running away from me due to my perverted staring, assuming I found you attractive.

This annoys me. Why do people have to enjoy themselves at parties? If you don't LIKE parties, you're not necessarily miserable. This is what people fail to understand in today's increasingly superficial society.
I think she's just saying she'd care for people like us, try and make us at ease.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16 PM »

This annoys me. Why do people have to enjoy themselves at parties? If you don't LIKE parties, you're not necessarily miserable. This is what people fail to understand in today's increasingly superficial society.

Not in a 'you're at a party therefore you must have fun' way but just I like trying to help people relax and enjoy themselves even if they're not in a situation they really like.
I don't mean that I'd force them to try and enjoy whateveryone else was doing or think they were miserable for not liking parties but just that I'd try and make them feel at ease and welcome Smile
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20 PM »

If you're not at ease, then don't go.  Do what makes you comfortable.  No point in trying to make yourself a square peg in a round hole.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 10:21 PM »

There are occasions where you feel obligated because it's a special event for a friend or family. But generally, even though I don't like parties, I only go if I think I'd have fun by getting drunk.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24 PM »

If you're not at ease, then don't go.  Do what makes you comfortable.  No point in trying to make yourself a square peg in a round hole.

But you feel you have to. There's so much pressure to party, isn't there? Otherwise you get labelled 'miserable'. I just enjoy other things. These partygoers don't get called miserable cos they didn't go on that 20-mile hike over the fells, do they? It's unfair.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 10:27 PM »

But you feel you have to. There's so much pressure to party, isn't there? Otherwise you get labelled 'miserable'. I just enjoy other things. These partygoers don't get called miserable cos they didn't go on that 20-mile hike over the fells, do they? It's unfair.

Well personally I think that yeah in some cases you have to go out of obligation to work, family or friends to something that you wouldn't otherwise do, but for the most part I do things because I enjoy them.
Pressure to party Think not really. Even when I was at uni and going out a lot I went because I had fun and other nights stayed in with an old film and hot chocolate lol
Maybe of course I just had very understanding and great friends Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 10:29 PM »

Well personally I think that yeah in some cases you have to go out of obligation to work, family or friends to something that you wouldn't otherwise do, but for the most part I do things because I enjoy them.
Pressure to party Think not really. Even when I was at uni and going out a lot I went because I had fun and other nights stayed in with an old film and hot chocolate lol
Maybe of course I just had very understanding and great friends Smile

Yes, but you're just ridiculously lovely.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 10:29 PM »

I think if you're not a people person, then large social gatherings can be quite daunting.  I'm a bit like Hazel, I enjoy talking to people. However, using alcohol (or any other drug) as a prop isn't good.  Much better to say, well this is me and I don't do parties etc.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31 PM »

I think if you're not a people person, then large social gatherings can be quite daunting.  I'm a bit like Hazel, I enjoy talking to people. However, using alcohol (or any other drug) as a prop isn't good.  Much better to say, well this is me and I don't do parties etc.

yes

Yes, but you're just ridiculously lovely.

Ah the joys of the internet...all my good qualities without most of the bad  Whistle
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 10:35 PM »

OK. My name is Nigel and I don't do parties.

But how can I cut down on my home consumption?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36 PM »

I only really have one friend (TCK on this forum) so luckily I generally don't get invited to parties! Very Happy

Then I will basically ask my question again, why do you consume alcohol at home? For taste or for something else?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 10:38 PM »

Wire your jaw!  lol  Find other stuff to do.  Go to the gym, swim, collect stamps.  Change your routine.  It's a habit, I feel.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #42 on: January 26, 2010, 10:39 PM »

Hide the bottle opener lol
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41 PM »

Wire your jaw!  lol  Find other stuff to do.  Go to the gym, swim, collect stamps.  Change your routine.  It's a habit, I feel.

This is difficult. Perhaps I'm secretly not very happy (yet not 'miserable'), even though there are things in life I love, and alcohol simply makes me feel good.

I think everybody's childhood has a hell of a lot to answer for.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Alcohol Thread « Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 10:42 PM »

This is difficult. Perhaps I'm secretly not very happy (yet not 'miserable'), even though there are things in life I love, and alcohol simply makes me feel good.

I think everybody's childhood has a hell of a lot to answer for.
Sounds like you need a woman like Hazel in your life.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »