Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The British Monarchy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Should the British Monarchy exist in today's world?
Yes. - 26 (51%)
No. - 25 (49%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 97 Go Down Reply
Author

The British Monarchy

(Read 24113 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1365 on: March 02, 2012, 12:33 AM »

Was in Barbados last week... and the people were NOT amused that their government could not supply much-need funds for the locals, but suddenly found hundreds of thousands of pounds for the royal visitors: Edward & Sophie.
Our taxi-driver kept pointing out all the people painting, fixing, cutting grass etc.. something he hadn't seen happen in years.
http://www.caribbean360.com/index.php/news/barbados_news/556952.html#axzz1nunFaQaR
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1366 on: March 02, 2012, 02:12 AM »

Was in Barbados last week... and the people were NOT amused that their government could not supply much-need funds for the locals, but suddenly found hundreds of thousands of pounds for the royal visitors: Edward & Sophie.
Our taxi-driver kept pointing out all the people painting, fixing, cutting grass etc.. something he hadn't seen happen in years.
http://www.caribbean360.com/index.php/news/barbados_news/556952.html#axzz1nunFaQaR
I agree that it's pathetic that governments of poorer countries can suddenly find the cash to tart the place up for the benefit of royal visitors, and that for only two days!  And also there's the cost of security protection.  A similar thing of course happens here when Charlie (and it is usually him) decides to visit some deprived area and immediately it gets spruced up, the yobs are cleared off the streets, and winos and druggies conveniently hidden somewhere, so all he gets is a somewhat distorted view of what the place is really like.  No wonder he hasn't a clue how the other half live!  Much better if he just turned up unannounced, but I realise that for security reason that wouldn't be feasible.

Quite honestly I could see the Queen's Jubilee celebrations far enough.  This country just doesn't have the money to fund them, and they'll serve no useful purpose whatsoever.  At least the Olympics, whilst equally unwelcome in my opinion (why did that stupid Greek judge have to press the wrong button??), might just help boost the nation's economy a little.   
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1367 on: March 02, 2012, 02:20 AM »

Yeah... but at least the people in the UK know who Charles is.  They don't know, nor do they apparently care, about minor royals such as Edward & Sophie.
Good job he didn't wear any military gear (camouflage) because we found out it is illegal in Barbados and comes with a possible jail sentence as a visitor, and a definite as an inhabitant!
[ Last edit by scotnadian March 02, 2012, 02:23 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1368 on: March 02, 2012, 07:23 AM »

I really hope when the queen dies, at this rate sometime in the 22nd century...we get a totally toned down monarchy, if we've got to have one at all.
Just heard security for the last Royal wedding cost 20million. We can't afford that. shocking
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1369 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22 PM »

I really hope when the queen dies, at this rate sometime in the 22nd century...we get a totally toned down monarchy, if we've got to have one at all.
Just heard security for the last Royal wedding cost 20million. We can't afford that. shocking
In fairness to William and Kate they would have happily settled for a very quiet wedding away from public gaze, but because he's 2nd in line the Queen wasn't about to let that happen.  I wonder if she paid for the security, knowing the state of the economy.  If not, then she should be ashamed of herself given she's supposedly the richest woman in the world.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1370 on: March 06, 2012, 12:31 PM »

What I did object to was Zara Phillips  marriage in Edinburgh. Edinburgh city council would have to pay for the police security. When all budgets are being cut to the bone I do not think it was appropriate for her wedding to be in Edinburgh. They could have been married in the area were they live without a lot of extra cost for security.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1371 on: March 06, 2012, 12:48 PM »

What I did object to was Zara Phillips  marriage in Edinburgh. Edinburgh city council would have to pay for the police security. When all budgets are being cut to the bone I do not think it was appropriate for her wedding to be in Edinburgh. They could have been married in the area were they live without a lot of extra cost for security.

Part of the BRITISH ROYAL FAMILY! With Princess Ann and her connections it wasn't too shocking. There would have had to have been the extra security anyway- and with so many budget cuts and worries about jobs, good that the police/military were able to get the extra work.

In fairness to William and Kate they would have happily settled for a very quiet wedding away from public gaze, but because he's 2nd in line the Queen wasn't about to let that happen.  I wonder if she paid for the security, knowing the state of the economy.  If not, then she should be ashamed of herself given she's supposedly the richest woman in the world.

Rolling Eyes If the Queen was dead then their wedding security would have cost even more because then he's have been 1st in line to the throne. Don't blame the Queen for protocol being followed when it came to the royal wedding. Also balanced against the money generated by the Royal wedding it was more than covered. We pay for the security of the royal family every day, it's not like they charged Kate's outfit and the reception to the taxpayers...of whom I will remind you the Queen is one of.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1372 on: March 06, 2012, 01:21 PM »

Each to there own, she is Princess Anne's daughter I still maintain that she could have been married in a private cermony. It would have been less expensive and more private. The money saved could have been put to better use. I admire Princess Anne she does a lot of good work and have nothing against her. What I do object to is all the hangers on in the extended royal family.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1373 on: March 06, 2012, 01:53 PM »

Each to there own, she is Princess Anne's daughter I still maintain that she could have been married in a private cermony. It would have been less expensive and more private. The money saved could have been put to better use. I admire Princess Anne she does a lot of good work and have nothing against her. What I do object to is all the hangers on in the extended royal family.

From what I know Mike and Zara would have been happy with that. It was though by the powers that be (in government) that it would be good to have a 'royal wedding' in Scotland instead of both being in england.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1374 on: March 06, 2012, 04:27 PM »

It was a fairly private affair wasn't it?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1375 on: March 06, 2012, 05:53 PM »

I would'nt call it private to have all the traffic in the Royal Mile stopped  the shop keepers loosing business the traffic being diverted and extra police having to be involved for security. It would have cost a lot of the businesses money as I think it was a Saturday and a lot of tourists being in the city. They could have kept it quiet and the marriage could have been done without all the upheaval and extra costs for the City of Edinburgh.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1376 on: March 06, 2012, 06:00 PM »

O.K. point taken - I bet it also brought in a lot of tourists though.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1377 on: March 07, 2012, 01:34 AM »

I would'nt call it private to have all the traffic in the Royal Mile stopped  the shop keepers loosing business the traffic being diverted and extra police having to be involved for security. It would have cost a lot of the businesses money as I think it was a Saturday and a lot of tourists being in the city. They could have kept it quiet and the marriage could have been done without all the upheaval and extra costs for the City of Edinburgh.
O.K. point taken - I bet it also brought in a lot of tourists though.
I don't know about that since I expect a lot of tourists probably hadn't a clue who Zara Phillips was.  Anyway I wouldn't shed any tears for the shopkeepers in the Royal Mile since they bleed the tourists white as do shops in any city's main tourist centre, so missing a day or two would be nothing to them.  The shopkeepers who have all my sympathy are those who ran small shops in Leith Walk, many of whom went out of business thanks to the entire street (about 1 mile) being dug up to accommodate a tram system which will now no longer go down that route, thanks to total inefficiency on behalf of the contractors and to Scottish Labour who dreamt the whole senseless idea up in the first place.  I could be wrong, but I don't think any of them are going to get a penny from the Scottish government by way of compensation.

Anyway I'm delighted to see that my fave royal, Prince Harry (a "bad" boy turned good) has been doing very well representing the Queen in Jamaica as part of his Jubilee tour of the West Indies, even to the extent of exchanging hugs with the island's PM who's made it plain that she wishes to see the Queen replaced as Head of State.

Prince Harry "races" with Usain Bolt on Jamaica visit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17267824
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1378 on: March 07, 2012, 02:43 AM »

Looks like Harry's been having a ball (on the coverage we get to see) and that's usually the Sky one, though we sometimes get beeb or ITV in the national news bulletins.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1379 on: May 27, 2012, 04:17 PM »

I'm in a Golden Jubilee mood and came up with this bracelet which I just love! lol

* DSCN0201 (640x480).jpg (173.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 86 times.)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 97 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »