Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The British Monarchy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Should the British Monarchy exist in today's world?
Yes. - 26 (51%)
No. - 25 (49%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 Go Down Reply
Author

The British Monarchy

(Read 22929 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1380 on: June 05, 2012, 04:09 PM »

God save the Queen!! yay

Brilliant long weekend of events!
IP Logged
kris

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1381 on: July 12, 2012, 02:11 AM »

lol! Trying to rebel against the monarchy ?   good luck with that !  The Royal wedding was an excellent pr restoration move that will keep them going for another 100 years .
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1382 on: February 03, 2014, 04:20 AM »

Recently in the news in Canada, we've heard that the Queen/Monarchy's finances are in disarray, that her money has been badly managed, that they may have to add more tours at the Palace and so forth, because they are in dire straights. Apparently the roof is leaking and so on and so forth.

How would or how does this story go over in the UK?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1383 on: February 03, 2014, 09:13 AM »

Well I am not a Monarchist I haven't heard about that but I know she is rich in her own right. There are so many of her residences I think she should only helped with one residence the rest should be sold off. So many of her family claim an allowance I think that should be curbed as well after all we only have a house or a flat to live in and we have to pay for everything.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1384 on: February 03, 2014, 04:35 PM »

Thanks for your take. It seemed surprising, to say the least.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1385 on: February 03, 2014, 05:15 PM »

Recently in the news in Canada, we've heard that the Queen/Monarchy's finances are in disarray, that her money has been badly managed, that they may have to add more tours at the Palace and so forth, because they are in dire straights. Apparently the roof is leaking and so on and so forth.

How would or how does this story go over in the UK?

There was news of a report on the Queen's finances mentioned about a week or so ago and it was suggested that more of the royal residences be open to the public more frequently to help with costs of maintenance.  Seemingly, Windsor Castle brings in an enormous amount of money and it was thought that Buckingham Palace, Sandringham and Balmoral could do the same if they were properly marketed.  I didn't think there was any suggestion that the finances were in 'dire straits' though.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1386 on: February 03, 2014, 10:17 PM »

Thanks. One thing I read was somethign like "Queen down to her last million pounds" or some such. Mind you I think that was in the Telegraph, so not a Canadian publication. What I heard was on CBC radio (Canada's BBC essentially)...
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1387 on: February 03, 2014, 10:22 PM »

Thanks. One thing I read was somethign like "Queen down to her last million pounds" or some such. Mind you I think that was in the Telegraph, so not a Canadian publication. What I heard was on CBC radio (Canada's BBC essentially)...
I heard that on the news that the Queen was down to last million. Can't profess to be so clever as to know what that means in terms of real hardship.  It's all relative, I guess - maybe she's a Pauper!   w00t
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1388 on: February 04, 2014, 02:52 AM »

Ha, yeah. Was just curious if some Brits rioted over such hardships. hee hee Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1389 on: February 04, 2014, 03:57 AM »

I heard that on the news that the Queen was down to last million. Can't profess to be so clever as to know what that means in terms of real hardship.  It's all relative, I guess - maybe she's a Pauper!   w00t
Aye - probably that's the small change she keeps in her handbag! Whistle

I really don't understand what this is all about though because the Queen is one of the wealthiest woman in the world - http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/politician/royal/queen-elizabeth-net-worth/
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1390 on: February 04, 2014, 04:07 AM »

^ Very interesting Aileen. Thanks. I was curious when I heard this story about the serious situation at Buckingham. This article (granted, the Daily Fail... Whistle) says it could cost upward of 50 mil to repair the gothic (oops I mean royal  innocent) castles.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547087/Rent-palace-Maam-Royals-help-fund-repairs-crumbling-homes-say-MPs.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1391 on: February 04, 2014, 05:37 PM »

^ Very interesting Aileen. Thanks. I was curious when I heard this story about the serious situation at Buckingham. This article (granted, the Daily Fail... Whistle) says it could cost upward of 50 mil to repair the gothic (oops I mean royal  innocent) castles.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547087/Rent-palace-Maam-Royals-help-fund-repairs-crumbling-homes-say-MPs.html
Thank you janetx.  Now that I know where the statement about the £1m comes from, it doesn't surprise me that the DM has (deliberately?) twisted the truth, probably to attract the attention of the more sensation-seeking of their readership.

To say that the Queen has £1m left in the bank is completely misleading because it infers that this is her personal bank account, which in fact is not what this story is all about, and I seriously doubt that anybody, apart from her own personal financial advisers, knows just how much money she does have in the bank.

What is reliably reported is that, as of 2010, HM had a stock portfolio worth roughly £100m.  Her mother left her part of her own personal fortune, which share was known to be between £7m-£8m, in addition to which the Queen personally owns some very valuable jewellery and works of art, her father's enormous stamp collection, and also her own horses and dogs, so if you add all these assets together, HM certainly isn't lacking financially!  In fact she could well afford to pay for the upkeep of her various crumbling residences herself rather than leaching off the state.  What's she planning on doing with all this wealth anyway other than pass it on to her children who themselves aren't short of a pound or two, particularly Prince Charles?  I have no objection to the monarchy per se, but feel it's time that it followed the example of other European monarchies and worked for its own living instead of floating around opening various events, attending posh banquets, etc.  Fortunately I think that, should Prince William ever become king, we will see some radical changes being made, including the off-loading of the more stuffy monarchial traditions.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 04, 2014, 05:45 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1392 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51 PM »

Quote from  Prince Charles visiting swamped Somerset today. "Nothing like a jolly good flood to bring a community together".  Guess which three words that don't belong in the same sentence!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1393 on: February 04, 2014, 07:57 PM »

Quote from  Prince Charles visiting swamped Somerset today. "Nothing like a jolly good flood to bring a community together".  Guess which three words that don't belong in the same sentence!
Rolling Eyes  I really don't think PC is in touch with reality, but fortunately his sons very much are.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: The British Monarchy « Reply #1394 on: February 04, 2014, 09:19 PM »

Rolling Eyes  I really don't think PC is in touch with reality, but fortunately his sons very much are.
   Aye, that's why I'm convinced he'll never be King.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »