Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday, Time - TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The Cancer Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

The Cancer Thread

(Read 1426 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

The Cancer Thread « on: January 10, 2013, 09:58 PM »

I was inspired to start this thread by the discussion ensued after the news of Ross Hutchins came in last Sunday. All your experiences have really touched me and I would love it if we could discuss it more as I feel at ease now after discussing it with various people.

Post here if you feel uneasy, upset or curious about anything related to cancer.

This thread is for YOU!

I myself have not had an experience with cancer in the sense of myself having it, but my grandma did pass away from it last year and I was really in on the whole treatment goings on.

When I get the money I have an ambition to open a cancer foundation in the name of my late grandma and perhaps a few clinics to help those in need.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Cheerful stuff, MF2012. I'll kick off. My brother has Hep C and leukaemia.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01 PM »

Cheerful stuff, MF2012. I'll kick off. My brother has Hep C and leukaemia.

I'm sorry to here that Grabcopy. Is he coping well despite the obvious difficulties caused by the disease? I pray for your brother.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:10 PM »

Dear MF.. You clearly adored and miss your grandma. hug

Dear Nigel..I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Life is **** sometimes. I sincerely hope he's doing okay. hug

Up until we learned about Ross, I haven't really thought or talked much about my experience with cancer. I always felt it was just a compartment in my life and I've moved on.

I go see my Oncologist every 3 months for my bloodwork results (in fact, just had my blood taken yesterday,) and I get annual X-Rays, CT scans, Gallium scans, and Bone Density Scans every 2 years. And a whole other ****-load of tests which I won't bore you with.

The last time I had a scare was this year when Andy was playing in my home city of Toronto, straight after his triumph at Olymps.  I'd bought tickets, but I had to see my Oncologist that morning because my tests were looking dodgy and he thought my HL had come back. I sat in the crowded waiting room for 2 hours, really pissed that I might be late catching the train to see Andy. I was convinced my doc was wrong, and just wanted him to confirm it and get the hell out of Dodge. Turned out I was right and he was wrong. I caught the train and got there just in time.
Even if it had been bad news that day, there was no way I was missing Andy. Very Happy

I could go on and on my experience with Hodgkins Lymphoma, and losing my own grandma to breast cancer.

I have no problem talking about it because I am very positive, so if anyone has any questions go ahead, or PM me.
I don't need sympathy.. I'm absolutely fine.. just if anyone needs some hard facts.

Crikey.. long post!

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:21 PM »

hug cancer is a horrible thing, and it's horrible to watch and be part of someone going through it Frown We lost my uncle to a brain tumour several years ago and my dad was the one there supporting my aunt and my uncle (his brother) a lot of the time. It was quick for cancer but it was very emotionally exhausting as well as physically.
Oh and he was also diagnosed on my 16th birthday! Rolling Eyes

More recently a cousin of my dads died of esophageal cancer which was tough on his immediate family as they are all very close.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:25 PM »

I was inspired to start this thread by the discussion ensued after the news of Ross Hutchins came in last Sunday. All your experiences have really touched me and I would love it if we could discuss it more as I feel at ease now after discussing it with various people.

Post here if you feel uneasy, upset or curious about anything related to cancer.

This thread is for YOU!

I myself have not had an experience with cancer in the sense of myself having it, but my grandma did pass away from it last year and I was really in on the whole treatment goings on.

When I get the money I have an ambition to open a cancer foundation in the name of my late grandma and perhaps a few clinics to help those in need.
I hope you achieve your ambition, Gangsta.   As Linda says your grandma obviously meant a lot to you so it must have been a very traumatic time.

I know that from my own experience because my Mum died from bone cancer when she was 80.  The really horrible thing here was that for the last two years of her life she didn't know whether she had cancer or not because, although X-rays showed a shadow near the base of her spine, the consultants couldn't decide whether it was a tumour or arthritis (which she already had) but, because of her age, they refused to do a biopsy since it would mean draining some fluid from her spine.  That was 25 years ago so I hope and pray that today things have moved on sufficiently here and that nobody, however old they are, is left with such a huge doubt preying on their mind.

She got along with painkillers but the cancer only came to light when it had spread throughout her body and affected her stomach - and I will never forget nor forgive the consultant who broke the news to me that she had only weeks to live (10 days as it turned out) and told me bluntly that she was bed-blocking and that, as a result, he'd had to cancel several operations.  As a result she was, totally inappropriately, transferred to a convalescent home because there were no hospices in the area.  I mean - can you imagine a dying woman being literally dumped into that situation?  Fortunately the nurses there were wonderful and she passed away with as much dignity as was possible in the circumstances.  It was still very upsetting though to see a bright, active and still attractive woman reduced to such a helpless state, in constant pain and unable to eat or drink anything other than small sips of water.  The only 'positive' thing, as one nurse said to me, is that with this type of cancer the end usually is quick because the patient starves to death as there's no point in prolonging their agony by feeding them intravenously.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 05:09 PM »

I think I mentioned before that my husband was diagnosed with breast cancer in late 2004.  He had a full mastectomy, lymph nodes removed, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.  He's doing fine after a change of lifestyle and eating habits.  I just want to highlight to all you males out there that breast cancer isn't just a female thing.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:17 PM »

Dear MF.. You clearly adored and miss your grandma. hug

Dear Nigel..I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Life is sh*t sometimes. I sincerely hope he's doing okay. hug

Up until we learned about Ross, I haven't really thought or talked much about my experience with cancer. I always felt it was just a compartment in my life and I've moved on.

I go see my Oncologist every 3 months for my bloodwork results (in fact, just had my blood taken yesterday,) and I get annual X-Rays, CT scans, Gallium scans, and Bone Density Scans every 2 years. And a whole other sh*t-load of tests which I won't bore you with.

The last time I had a scare was this year when Andy was playing in my home city of Toronto, straight after his triumph at Olymps.  I'd bought tickets, but I had to see my Oncologist that morning because my tests were looking dodgy and he thought my HL had come back. I sat in the crowded waiting room for 2 hours, really pissed that I might be late catching the train to see Andy. I was convinced my doc was wrong, and just wanted him to confirm it and get the hell out of Dodge. Turned out I was right and he was wrong. I caught the train and got there just in time.
Even if it had been bad news that day, there was no way I was missing Andy. Very Happy

I could go on and on my experience with Hodgkins Lymphoma, and losing my own grandma to breast cancer.

I have no problem talking about it because I am very positive, so if anyone has any questions go ahead, or PM me.
I don't need sympathy.. I'm absolutely fine.. just if anyone needs some hard facts.

Crikey.. long post!

I see this has been revived. Can't believe how positive you are. You must have been through a stage of being absolutely terrified. I don't know how strong I could be in that situation.

Sadly, it looks like my brother isn't going to make it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08 PM »

I think I mentioned before that my husband was diagnosed with breast cancer in late 2004.  He had a full mastectomy, lymph nodes removed, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.  He's doing fine after a change of lifestyle and eating habits.  I just want to highlight to all you males out there that breast cancer isn't just a female thing.
And I seem to recall he appeared on TV, I think during Breast Cancer Awareness Week, looking the picture of health and quite dashing along with it. Smile  Unfortunately though many men still don't seem to have got the message - in fact one friend went to far as to inform me that men didn't have breasts!  When I asked him what he thought his nipples were, he merely said that he'd never really questioned it - but maybe that's par for the course?

I see this has been revived. Can't believe how positive you are. You must have been through a stage of being absolutely terrified. I don't know how strong I could be in that situation.

I'm so very sorry, Nigel. hug
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 12:34 PM »

I'm sorry too Nigel! I lost a sister 3 1/2 years ago, so I've an idea how you feel! My sister died just 3 days after turning 50! I'll say a wee prayer for him.......and you too!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 12:38 PM »

hug There's no words that can really do much in this situation. But I am praying for you, your brother and all your family at this time. Make the most of the time left hug

It's 10 years next month since we lost my uncle, and anniversaries like that bring a lot of the memories back.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 03:56 PM »

Oh this thread is in use again Smile Good to see.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 04:05 PM »

That's very, very sad to hear. See, it's easier for me to go through something than have to watch one of my loved ones'.
xxx
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 06:02 PM »

2 yrs ago my younger sis  was diagnosed with bowel caner  and has had to have a permanent clostomy bag ,( family history of cancer) was ony 45 at the time ,must say 2 yrs on she is  on the mend thankfully still have regular checks ,
then a week ago my oldest sister her youngest daughter  has been diagnosed with cancer of the kidneys ,full body scan on monday the 18th to check to see if it has spread ,,keeping everything crossed for you my niece

( i have 3 brothers 3 sisters )
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The Cancer Thread « Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 07:07 PM »

That's very, very sad to hear. See, it's easier for me to go through something than have to watch one of my loved ones'.
xxx
I think that goes for most of us Linda when it comes to serious illness.  I find the same thing too with depression - I can live and cope with my own but find it difficult when I see or speak to one of my cousins who has struggled with it for about 30 years now.  I suppose I see it as being akin to the eye of a hurricane, on the outside of which there is chaos and confusion.

2 yrs ago my younger sis  was diagnosed with bowel caner  and has had to have a permanent clostomy bag ,( family history of cancer) was ony 45 at the time ,must say 2 yrs on she is  on the mend thankfully still have regular checks ,
then a week ago my oldest sister her youngest daughter  has been diagnosed with cancer of the kidneys ,full body scan on monday the 18th to check to see if it has spread ,,keeping everything crossed for you my niece

( i have 3 brothers 3 sisters )

We'll be thinking of your niece too audie, and of the rest of her family. hug  Meantime I'm glad your sister is making a good recovery.  An aunt of mine also had bowel cancer and, although she didn't require a colostomy, was pronounced clear of the disease after five years, so there is great hope there for your sister.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 16, 2013, 07:18 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »