Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The Movies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 ... 339 Go Down Reply
Author

The Movies

(Read 117189 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4590 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46 AM »

What do you mean? If you mean macro evolution, that generally refers to speciation.
Not macro evolution. I mean a mutation that you don't count as a slight gradual step. As in the type of mutation you wouldn't expect to survive in the gene pool because they are not likely to be beneficial.
[ Last edit by Mark April 04, 2012, 09:53 AM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: The Movies « Reply #4591 on: April 04, 2012, 11:02 AM »

I own it but I had to order for it as HMV didn't have in their stock. It's very rare to find a copy of it. It's a brilliant movie I agree.

Scot, I saw The Hunger Games the Saturday before but didn't like it at all. Too many holes in the plot. I wasn't even sure why the movie was called The Hunger Games when it wasn't even remotely about that. Maybe the book is much better and explains it more and in detail.

SHE'S BACK! yay
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4592 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19 AM »

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4593 on: April 04, 2012, 05:37 PM »

The narrative is good but the acting and directing... well. Think

This movie is both scientifically and historically not too accurate. And there are some technical flaws as well especially towards the end of the movie. The acting was average. It was too big a coincidence that he was just happened to be there with all the great figures one time or another. The only thing that I thought was outstanding was the concept of the movie though it wasn't still anything new. I'd seen something similar in one of the X-Files episodes and that was far more scientifically possible though the survival technique was very different. But of course, as the movie suggests, anything is possible though not always explainable especially with our limited knowledge. The ending wasn't as shocking to me as I'd figured it out by then that he was going to cop out as clearly it was becoming too much for his friends. I think that if that were to happen in reality one is better off not telling the story at all. Higher intelligence or being is never accepted by the general mass even if they are academics. People are too skeptic by nature and anything out of the ordinary is bound to throw them off. And you are never sure if one is finally ready for it even if they say they are. I liked that part of the movie very much and that’s when I thought it was brilliant.

Dead Man is another out and out brilliant movie on all accounts and the soundtrack is mind-blowing as well. I like the soundtrack of The Man from Earth as well. Pretty haunting but nothing beats Twin Peaks for sure. Haunting and sometimes, downright creepy especially if you remember some of the scenes.

Here's the Dead Man soundtrack:

And The Man from Earth:

Finally, Twin Peaks:

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4594 on: April 04, 2012, 05:44 PM »

I knew nothing about this except hearing hype about some movie comig out called 'The Hunger Games,' so was intrigued to see what the fuss was about. I didn't even know it was a book.
At the end of it, I turned to hubby and said there has got to be a sequel, there seems to be so many layers to this.  I've since discovered there is a series of books.
When I watched it, I could see references to the Holocaust, the days of the Roman empire, George Orwell's "1984," The Wizard of Oz, Survivor, and Charles Dickens' "Oliver."  I don't know if that was the intent, but that's what I got out of it.
I took the title "The Hunger Games" both literally and philosophically.
I watched it 'pure' with no outside influence except the hype I heard the day before about people lining up overnight to see it.

Like you, I had no idea about the books either and I prefer not to know anything about a movie when I finally decide to watch it, so basically I was just as much clueless as you were. It's only after having seen the movie, I decided to find out more about it and that's when I discovered the books. I read some of the reviews and they do suggest that the books are million times better than the movie. Too many failed attempts for one and also, it deliberately didn't capture the gruesome detail of the books/killings to make the PG13 rating. As a result, it felt like a feel good movie designed to simply please the general audience and it succeeded in that regard. On the very first weekend of its release, it’d made about 155 million.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: The Movies « Reply #4595 on: April 09, 2012, 12:05 AM »

Just saw "The Vow"
Funny to see Channing Tatum jump from "21 Jump Street" to this.  He surprised me.. did a convincing job.
Also just saw "John Carter"... forgot to bring my rotten tomatoes with me.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4596 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24 PM »

I've made the utmost mistake of watching Paranormal Activity this Sunday night after putting it off for a long time – it was on bloody TV and I had nothing better to do and I mean literally. If you don't mind the flaws then it's one creepy movie. Am having trouble sleeping since then. Am afraid either some demon is going to pull me out of my bed or get into the bed with me while I am asleep, so am not too keen on closing my eyes and if possible, sleep with my eyes wide open. And not having someone next to me makes it even scarier. The big teddy isn't big enough and live enough to keep me company. I really think it’s the simplicity of the movie that truly threw me off.

Do not watch it if you have an active mind like mine and if you tend to creep out by this sort of movie. 

So my top 5 scary movies of all time:

The Exorcist
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Paranormal Activity
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
The Omen

So final conclusion – not watching truly horror movies like ever. My sleep is more important to me and not some creep that may or may not exist. Ho hum.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4597 on: April 10, 2012, 05:25 PM »

I just can't imagine you with a mustache. eww
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The Movies « Reply #4598 on: June 14, 2012, 10:40 AM »

Very Happy

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4599 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52 AM »

So excited!

IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4600 on: June 14, 2012, 11:20 AM »

^ Eeeee, I'm so excited too, cannot wait Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4601 on: June 17, 2012, 10:21 PM »

Went to see Prometheus last night. It will keep you entertained but that's all it can offer, unfortunately. Ridley Scott is such a great director but this one was such a mess. Alien was so well done and it took its time to build the characters and the story and followed all the protocol that of a sci-fi, but this one was all over the place and least scientific. I wouldn't even call it that because it did not follow anything that makes a true sci-fi. I was so disappointed.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: The Movies « Reply #4602 on: July 10, 2012, 04:42 AM »

Don't really watch much TV, but needed a distraction tonight, so channel surfed to find, by acciddnt  "About A Son."
Best way to view is to listen with eyes closed.
Kurt Cobain..Flawed genius.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Re: The Movies « Reply #4603 on: July 14, 2012, 01:05 AM »

So excited!

Probably the best thing this year.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4604 on: July 29, 2012, 07:27 PM »

'Equilibrium' for the third time but this time in HD Very Happy