Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The Movies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 313 [314] 315 316 317 ... 338 Go Down Reply
Author

The Movies

(Read 111350 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4695 on: November 06, 2012, 09:20 PM »

28 Days Later has too many flaws for the general mass to notice. They just like what they see and don't want to go beyond that. I don’t think they care enough to do that as long as it entertains them.

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4696 on: November 06, 2012, 09:54 PM »

But the vast majority of critics were very pleased with the film, in fact more so than ordinary folk. So it's not a matter of flaws being missed by the simple minded.

One example is from the renowned Roger Ebert,

A tough, smart, ingenious movie that leads its characters into situations where everything depends on their (and our) understanding of human nature.

Some people on occasion just don't like a good movie for their own reasons and that's perfectly fine. But it would be incredibly egocentric to suggest it therefore wasn't a good movie.
[ Last edit by Mark November 06, 2012, 10:03 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Movies « Reply #4697 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40 AM »

Just seen "Skyfall". Best Bond IMHO thumb up
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: The Movies « Reply #4698 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32 AM »

I'm with you there Mark........Loved 28 days, but didn't like The Hurt Locker or Brokeback Mountain which seemed to be popular. As far as the Bond movies go, there can never 'really' be anyone but Big Sean, but I do think Daniel Craig is the best since!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The Movies « Reply #4699 on: November 07, 2012, 10:35 AM »

Just seen "Skyfall". Best Bond IMHO thumb up

It was tremendous, but am I the only one to spot the massive plot hole?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Movies « Reply #4700 on: November 07, 2012, 01:15 PM »

^ Wasn't looking at "plot hole" TBH  Whistle
Really liked a) no torture b) no gratuitous sex c) revenge d) Ben Wilshaw,  but best e) fantastic cinematography.
Shanghai looked absolutely astonishing as a back drop to the fight scene.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: The Movies « Reply #4701 on: November 07, 2012, 06:06 PM »

BBH - the plot hole was that he never got the hard disk back. It seemed to get forgotten in the excitement.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4702 on: November 07, 2012, 06:15 PM »

BBH - the plot hole was that he never got the hard disk back. It seemed to get forgotten in the excitement.
Mother****ing spoiler!!!!!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: The Movies « Reply #4703 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44 PM »

Mother****ing spoiler!!!!!

That doesn't spoil the film, I promise.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Movies « Reply #4704 on: November 07, 2012, 11:31 PM »

I think it's great that there will be 3 new star wars films being made and George Lucas will have nothing to do with them!!! let's hope disney make a trilogy that makes us forget about how crap the last 3 films were....
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Movies « Reply #4705 on: November 08, 2012, 06:57 AM »

Theme of next film then? Unless destroyed in helicopter?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4706 on: November 08, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Saw a bit of a documentary on Daniel Craig last night. Showed you part of the fight 'on' the train! Can't believe he does his own stunts!  shocking I'm impressed!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4707 on: November 08, 2012, 05:08 PM »

But the vast majority of critics were very pleased with the film, in fact more so than ordinary folk. So it's not a matter of flaws being missed by the simple minded.

One example is from the renowned Roger Ebert,

A tough, smart, ingenious movie that leads its characters into situations where everything depends on their (and our) understanding of human nature.

Some people on occasion just don't like a good movie for their own reasons and that's perfectly fine. But it would be incredibly egocentric to suggest it therefore wasn't a good movie.

It doesn't matter what the vast majority of critics say when with enough IQ one can judge for oneself and frankly, I don't like Roger Ebert's review all that much anyway. There were many times in the past he's given thumbs down to perfectly good movies. But more importantly, it depends from which perspective you are looking at this movie. From zombies perspective, it's an okay movie though not at all scary as they highlighted it as “scary as hell” before it came out. But from the science perspective, it doesn’t do any justice so the premise is very confusing to start with. It starts off very well but falls after 20 minutes or so.

Here’s a guy who summarizes it very well for me:

Recap: A few activists break into a sealed lab where experiments are made on chimps. A scientist stumbles upon them, and panicky tries to stop the activists. He shouts that the monkeys are infected with an incurable virus, with rage. And when the activists open the first cage, the monkey immediately attacks the nearest activist, instantly infecting the human. And so the pandemic breaks out. 28 days later Jim wakes up in a hospital, just to find it deserted. The bike-messenger, put in the hospital by an accident, takes to the streets to find them deserted as well. Well almost deserted, in a church, the priest suddenly attacks him, screaming unintelligibly. Jim flees and get unexpected help, and soon learns that only a few persons are still sane and uninfected. But a radio-message brings hope that there still is disease-free areas...

Comments: Unfortunately it is glaringly apparent that the background story is just an bad excuse to explain empty streets and the existence of zombiemonsters. The inserted gap between the release and Jim's awakening, lets the story ignore questions as how the virus works and spreads widely, and why no response is working. When Jim wakes up, it is just there, and might as well always been. Then we get a movie full of zombie/monster attacks, blood splatter so forth and so on, until the crew felt they had enough material to fill a movie. Insert another black time jump, and now everything is fine again. To conclude, the story itself has no clues as to answer any questions about the foundation it tries to build upon, and if you have one (question that is), the entire movie falls apart.

And unfortunately there is no suspense or development in the movie either, as the story aren't really trying to go anywhere. There are just so many minutes of zombie bashing, and it soon gets old...”

I guess we are going to disagree on this one but the thing is, this movie will remain the same but your perspective over time will change.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4708 on: November 08, 2012, 06:31 PM »

What's treasure to one is trash to another...........One man's meat ect. No matter how you put it, it all comes down to the same thing. Everyone is different! Simple as that really! Vive la difference!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4709 on: November 08, 2012, 06:55 PM »

It doesn't matter what the vast majority of critics say when with enough IQ one can judge for oneself and frankly
I give up with you.

If you think you know better than the vast majority of people at the top of the movie reviewing business, you have a screw loose.

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it bad. One day I really hope you work that out.
[ Last edit by Mark November 08, 2012, 06:59 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 313 [314] 315 316 317 ... 338 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »