Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The Movies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 ... 339 Go Down Reply
Author

The Movies

(Read 116612 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4710 on: November 08, 2012, 07:13 PM »

I give up with you.

If you think you know better than the vast majority of people at the top of the movie reviewing business, you have a screw loose.

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it bad. One day I really hope you work that out.

I was simply opposing you without the insults. It seems to me you have problems with anyone who opposes your views on things.

And just because the vast majority people liked it doesn't make the movie automatically flawless. They probably liked the movie so much that they didn't care about the flaws (like yourself), but there are some people out there, who are also entitled to their opinion I might as well add, have problems getting past things that seem inaccurate to them right away; I really hope you understand that.

Vast majority people used to think the earth was flat and so on. It took only one person to prove them wrong. And that's just one incident.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4711 on: November 08, 2012, 07:22 PM »

I have a problem with extreme arrogance. To put yourself above those that are at the top of their career is quite something.

Movies are of course about personal taste but if almost 90% of critics say a movie is great, it's definitely not a bad movie regardless of your opinion.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4712 on: November 08, 2012, 07:27 PM »

And you understand a couple of reviews that I had posted so far aren't actually mine? I guess they are not entitled to their opinion since you know the "critics" are the ones to decide for us.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4713 on: November 08, 2012, 07:29 PM »

And movies aren't of personal taste – only for entertainment value, yes but otherwise, no. If that were the case then certain movies that don't get any recognition by the general public wouldn't have won Oscars.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4714 on: November 08, 2012, 07:32 PM »

It's about consensus. This isn't a situation where you'd say reviews were mixed even though technically there might be the odd review that was negative.

When I saw The Hurt Locker, I didn't dream of telling people it was a bad movie, because I knew the consensus from those at the top of their movie reviewing careers gave it glowing reviews.

Just like if 99% of scientists say global warming is happening, I wouldn't then go quoting the 1% as a reason why I don't care. That just wouldn't be the sensible and intelligent position to take even if technically there's a remote chance it's the right one.
[ Last edit by Mark November 08, 2012, 07:44 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4715 on: November 08, 2012, 07:41 PM »

It's about consensus. This isn't a situation where you'd say reviews were mixed even though technically there might be the odd review that was negative.

When I didn't like The Hurt Locker, I wouldn't dream of telling people it was a bad movie because I knew the consensus from those who are at the top of their movie reviewing careers gave it glowing careers.

Just like if 99% of scientists say global warming is happening, I wouldn't then go quoting the 1% as a reason why I don't care. That just wouldn't be the sensible and intelligent position to take even if technically there's a remote chance it's the right one.

As long as you get that people are absolutely entitled to their opinion and not everything the critics say are directly from Bible. Also, just because some don't take it as their career/profession doesn't mean they aren't good enough to give their opinions on different matters. They are probably great on other things as well. And there’s no such thing as the absolute truth.

You really lose your credibility when you quote scientists along with critics. The scientists experiment things before they reach anything conclusive. The critics, on the other hand, are simply giving their opinions. Two very different things.

I am pretty sure there are other movies that you hated it but it was probably widely accepted by the general mass and by the critics as well.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The Movies « Reply #4716 on: November 08, 2012, 07:42 PM »

2 of the highest gross earnings movies of all time that I haven't seen - Avatar and Titanic.  Not the slightest interested in seeing them either, no matter what people have said about them.

I didn't rate Hurt Locker that much either - glad I didn't pay to see it at the cinema.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4717 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44 PM »

2 of the highest gross earnings movies of all time that I haven't seen - Avatar and Titanic.  Not the slightest interested in seeing them either, no matter what people have said about them.

I didn't rate Hurt Locker that much either - glad I didn't pay to see it at the cinema.

They are both garbage though technically very advanced. You haven't missed much to be honest.

I have yet to see Hurt Locker.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4718 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Emma, my issue is not about differing opinions, it's about the statements you made.

It is utterly arrogant of you to come in here and say the movie is bad just because you didn't like it. And to say that the vast majority of critics, who do this for a living, were too simple minded to notice the flaws. And finally to have the cheek to suggest the critics only enjoyed it because their IQs were not as high as yours. You are wrong and your attitude stinks.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4719 on: November 08, 2012, 07:54 PM »

Emma, my issue is not about differing opinions, it's about the statements you made.

It is utterly arrogant of you to come in here and say the movie is bad just because you didn't like it. And to say that the vast majority of critics, who do this for a living, were too simple minded to notice the flaws. And finally to have the cheek to suggest the critics only enjoyed it because their IQs were not as high as yours. You are wrong and your attitude stinks.

I didn't like the movie because the movie was bad - not the other way around and my reviews suggest that I am not alone on this one. 

You are so good at twisting my word. Congratulations. You are having significant problems getting past the idea that anyone can override the critics. Where the **** did I say I have better IQs than them? All I am saying is that I can decide for myself whether I find a movie bad or good. It's quite ironic that you don't see your own arrogance in all this, when you are pretty much forcing me to eat something simply because all the food critics found it so delicious.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4720 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57 PM »

Mark will have enormous problems with his future wife every time she gives her opinion about something he so dearly likes. A heated argument followed by 6 degree separation I predict.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4721 on: November 08, 2012, 08:06 PM »

I have no problem respecting someones opinion when it's different from mine. I have a problem with someone who thinks just because they hold an opinion on something, it is therefore fact. And to make things worse, believe it to be fact when consensus is overwhelmingly against.

I will certainly have a problem with my future wife if she thinks that her opinion shapes reality.
[ Last edit by Mark November 08, 2012, 08:09 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4722 on: November 08, 2012, 08:20 PM »

But the critics are giving their "opinions" as well; therefore, it is not a fact. You can say it's an educated opinion but certainly not a fact. Many would beg to differ.

Please marry someone who's ready to accept your way of reality.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4723 on: November 08, 2012, 08:26 PM »

I don't want to state anything as fact, my issue is that you did and still are. You came on here making a statement that this film was bad. You can say you didn't like a film but to boldly state it is bad, especially when consensus is overwhelmingly against, shows a great deal of arrogance.

Now, I do believe the film is good. Not because I liked it but because the chances are it is good if the vast majority of critics say it is. Otherwise their job in the movie industry wouldn't exist. But I'm not saying it's a fact because, however unlikely, technically they could all be wrong.

In contrast, you come on and state that the film is simply bad, not that you just didn't like it but it's bad and everyone else is wrong.  Then you degrade those that liked it by suggesting their awareness was not as good as yours and therefore missed the flaws, and that only a limited IQ is what allows people to enjoy this film.

We approached this very differently and it's a shame you can't see that.
[ Last edit by Mark November 08, 2012, 08:35 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4724 on: November 08, 2012, 08:43 PM »

I don't want to state anything as fact, my issue is that you did and still are. You came on here making a statement that this film was bad. You can say you didn't like a film but to boldly state it is bad, especially when consensus is overwhelmingly against, shows a great deal of arrogance.

Now, I do believe the film is good. Not because I liked it but because the chances are it is good if the vast majority of critics say it is. Otherwise their job in the movie industry wouldn't exist. But I'm not saying it's a fact because, however unlikely, technically they could all be wrong.

In contrast, you come on and state that the film is simply bad, not that you just didn't like it but it's bad and everyone else is wrong.  Then you degrade those that liked it by suggesting their awareness was not as good as yours and therefore missed the flaws, and that only a limited IQ is what allows people to enjoy this film.

We approached this very differently and it's a shame you can't see that.

I know what I said and that's not what I said. I said that anyone who has enough IQ will be able to judge anything for themselves, because if a movie is a matter of taste, as you suggest, then it is also a matter of opinion. A fact is the sun always rises in the East. That's a fact. It's an 100% agreement. If I say 1% disagrees with this movie and they really do such as myself and a few others, then it's no longer a fact. A fact is a fact is a fact. You've said yourself that 90% critics agree that it's a good movie. What about the other 10%? How is it a fact?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 ... 339 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »