Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The Movies 1 Member and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 324 [325] 326 327 328 ... 339 Go Down Reply
Author

The Movies

(Read 117087 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: The Movies « Reply #4860 on: June 10, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Watched again the film Little Buddha the story of Siddhatha. I enjoyed seeing it again because if you are not Buddhist it gives a good insight to the life of Siddhatha . Keanu Reeves plays the part of Siddhartha I did not recognise him as he is very young and looks different today. I enjoyed the film saw it many years ago my son bought me the video of it. A good starting point for anyone who is interested in Buddhism.
Sounds interesting.  I really need to explore my spiritual side a bit more, but it's hard to know where to start. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4861 on: June 10, 2013, 07:42 PM »

Watched again the film Little Buddha the story of Siddhatha. I enjoyed seeing it again because if you are not Buddhist it gives a good insight to the life of Siddhatha . Keanu Reeves plays the part of Siddhartha I did not recognise him as he is very young and looks different today. I enjoyed the film saw it many years ago my son bought me the video of it. A good starting point for anyone who is interested in Buddhism.

That's definitely worth watching.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: The Movies « Reply #4862 on: June 11, 2013, 02:03 PM »

It depends a lot in what your values are. I have never been a dogmatic christian although many Buddhist values are similar to Christianity. I believe Buddhism is more relaxed about a lot of things "It is called the middle way". Siddhatha himself always told his followers that they should not just accept his views but to question them and find the truth for themselves. I started to have an interest in Buddhism in my early twenties I do not belong to any particular group but have read many books on the subject. I would say I belong to the Mahayana group which accepts many more of the Sutra's than the older form of Buddhism which only accept sutra's from the Buddha himself. There are many books on the subject "The Heart Sutra " is the one I like the best.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4863 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05 PM »

I have a feeling I've seen Siddhatha sometime in the late 90s. When I checked to see the details that's when it kind of resonated with me as if I'd already seen it.

I love Buddhism, though I don't follow any particular religion, I feel it is one of the honest ones out there without the boundaries and dogmas.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: The Movies « Reply #4864 on: June 11, 2013, 06:10 PM »

It depends a lot in what your values are. I have never been a dogmatic christian although many Buddhist values are similar to Christianity. I believe Buddhism is more relaxed about a lot of things "It is called the middle way". Siddhatha himself always told his followers that they should not just accept his views but to question them and find the truth for themselves. I started to have an interest in Buddhism in my early twenties I do not belong to any particular group but have read many books on the subject. I would say I belong to the Mahayana group which accepts many more of the Sutra's than the older form of Buddhism which only accept sutra's from the Buddha himself. There are many books on the subject "The Heart Sutra " is the one I like the best.
Thanks, LB.  I really like the idea of a 'middle way', and I like the idea that Siddhatha encourages people not to accept but to question and make their own minds up.  My children were never Christened - I'm not religious and that would have smacked of hypocrisy for me.  I like to think I've left them to explore what's out there and follow their own paths in terms of what they choose to believe in.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: The Movies « Reply #4865 on: June 11, 2013, 08:40 PM »

Thanks Elly I used to wonder if what I was doing was right. I used to try and be a perfect Buddhist there is no such thing. Now I am older I realize that do your best and don't get down on yourself. I try to be kind to people and I do my best to help if I can. No one is perfect and we should all try to love ourselves it is part of being who you are if we can accept this then we will be at peace with ourselves and others.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Movies « Reply #4866 on: June 16, 2013, 11:41 PM »

Just watched a film called Devil, about 5 strangers stuck in a lift with one of them being Satan, highly recommended if you like high concept thrillers.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4867 on: June 17, 2013, 05:27 PM »

Just watched a film called Devil, about 5 strangers stuck in a lift with one of them being Satan, highly recommended if you like high concept thrillers.

Yes, I've seen it a few months ago and talked about it here too. Very well done. I know there's supposed to be a part 2 but not sure what happened to it.

Let Me In is another good movie. Quite dark and creepy. It is a vampire story and perhaps the best one out there IMO. Others I find quite rubbish.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Movies « Reply #4868 on: June 17, 2013, 11:15 PM »

Yes, I've seen it a few months ago and talked about it here too. Very well done. I know there's supposed to be a part 2 but not sure what happened to it.

Let Me In is another good movie. Quite dark and creepy. It is a vampire story and perhaps the best one out there IMO. Others I find quite rubbish.

It's pretty decent yeah, but the original version is slightly better, if you can handle foreign language films
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4869 on: June 18, 2013, 02:02 AM »

I can handle foreign language films. Watch them all the time. Though I feel this one would be hard to find. Netflix doesn't have as wide a collection.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Movies « Reply #4870 on: June 18, 2013, 03:35 PM »

I can handle foreign language films. Watch them all the time. Though I feel this one would be hard to find. Netflix doesn't have as wide a collection.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/let_the_right_one_in/

It's on netflix and itunes also
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4871 on: June 18, 2013, 05:36 PM »

Oh, I see. I didn't get a chance to check on Netflix if they had it. I couldn't find Stalker and that's a foreign film too, so I assumed this might not be there either. Thanks.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The Movies « Reply #4872 on: June 18, 2013, 05:46 PM »

Hey, ever watched a hindi film?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Movies « Reply #4873 on: June 18, 2013, 05:55 PM »

Hey, ever watched a hindi film?

Yes, Lamhe, Lagan and there was another one, I forget. The one with the French actor, whathisname, and Sridevi. That one was pretty good.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Movies « Reply #4874 on: June 18, 2013, 06:00 PM »

Yes, Lamhe, Lagan and there was another one, I forget. The one with the French actor, whathisname, and Sridevi. That one was pretty good.

Genuine question, why would you watch a Hindi film? How does someone from the west come about hearing of particularly good films from that culture?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 324 [325] 326 327 328 ... 339 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »