Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  TV Shows 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 ... 226 Go Down Reply
Author

TV Shows

(Read 83656 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2610 on: November 21, 2012, 02:00 PM »

Well, it's always a pleasant surprise when a TV show gets really bad and then completely brings it back.

Dexter this season has been fantastic.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2611 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22 PM »

The Good Wife = good television.

Eagerly waiting for the next season to start here tv

All I seem to have at the moment is Downton since Stella finished too.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2612 on: November 21, 2012, 10:16 PM »

Not been watching Homeland Bev? Best show on TV at the moment.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2613 on: November 21, 2012, 11:02 PM »

nah Was never quite interested enough to watch the first season.

I get a bit put off when I know that the person speaking is not speaking in their original accent (American/Irish/Welsh/English/Scottish).  Why do they do that?  Aren't there enough actors out there that they can't find someone from their own country to portray that person?  The recent Robin Hood movie comes to mind even though I'm a big fan of Russell Crowe.  Though I did love Master and Commander and I'm a huge fan of Hugh Laurie and House confused
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2614 on: November 21, 2012, 11:10 PM »

Oh Bev,if you ever do decide to give Homeland a go,season 1 is very good-but season 2 is absolutely brilliant.It really,really is better than almost anything else out at the moment-almost every episode has left me stunned this season!In the first four episodes alone,they covered stuff that other shows might've taken whole seasons to cover all of!And they do it so well.I really don't think I could give it a higher recommendation.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2615 on: November 21, 2012, 11:58 PM »

One day maybe. Very Happy

I'm trying to think what I do watch on tv at the moment and it's very little.  TBBT and Downton are my main things.  Sport when there's something I really want to watch.  Other than that, it's movies.  Otherwise, I just listen to my music.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2616 on: November 22, 2012, 06:55 AM »

nah Was never quite interested enough to watch the first season.

I get a bit put off when I know that the person speaking is not speaking in their original accent (American/Irish/Welsh/English/Scottish).  Why do they do that?  Aren't there enough actors out there that they can't find someone from their own country to portray that person?  The recent Robin Hood movie comes to mind even though I'm a big fan of Russell Crowe.  Though I did love Master and Commander and I'm a huge fan of Hugh Laurie and House confused
Sir Sean Connery has played James Bond and King Richard The Lionheart, [both the very epitome of Englishness], with his Scottish accent intact! Apparently he refuses to change it for anyone!  Very Happy In fact I think he played a German once......Was it 'Hunt For The Red October' or something? Och aye!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2617 on: November 22, 2012, 12:57 PM »

Sir Sean Connery has played James Bond and King Richard The Lionheart, [both the very epitome of Englishness], with his Scottish accent intact! Apparently he refuses to change it for anyone!  Very Happy In fact I think he played a German once......Was it 'Hunt For The Red October' or something? Och aye!

But Ian Fleming, I think, did create a Scottish background for James Bond so maybe that made Sean Connery OK for the part.    Richard the Lionheart is a bit different though  we would have no way of knowing how he sounded.    Wouldn't have had a BBC accent though!!!!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2618 on: November 23, 2012, 12:21 AM »

James Bond is a British secret agent and  I love Sean Connery and his accent Little tongue man  It was Russian in Hunt for Red October - they spoke a little Russian and then went to their own accents.  I also agree with ILA about Richard the Lionheart - we were never going to know the accent of that one lol

Apparently a few people at work have been watching Homeland, so I might delve into it at some point. 

I must admit that the accent thing does bug me more as I seem to be getting older Think  The Russell Crowe/Robin Hood kept distracting me from the movie, as was the guy playing Will Scarlet (was supposed to be Welsh) and Little John (was supposed to be Scottish). pullhair lol

IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2619 on: November 23, 2012, 02:47 AM »

As long as the accents sound right, I couldn't give a stuff whether they are the actor's actual accent. The whole point of acting is that they are playing a part that is not them isn't it? In fact I generally assume that the actor never really sounds like they do in the film or TV show. Only annoys me if they sound bad, like Leonardo Di Caprio's appalling Zimbabwean accent in Blood Diamond for instance.

Damien Lewis and Hugh Laurie have played American parts absolutely brilliantly and rather than be annoyed, it makes me proud or pleased that a British actor was the best person for the job. Does annoy me when they use their own accent instead of what they should sound like though. Haven't seen the Robin Hood film but what accent does Crowe use?

If he's using his own then that would annoy me. Valkyrie for instance was a very good film but the characters all sounding British and American made it not seem believeable. I know it was an English speaking film but IMO it would have added a lot if they had spoken with German accents.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2620 on: November 23, 2012, 10:28 AM »

Alex, normally things like that wouldn't bug me but just lately they have and I find myself not paying as much attention. Sean Connery is always going to play the character his way Very Happy House is great and has been going a while and that's why I think it's a recent thing in me. Someone at work didn't realise Damien Lewis was British.

Russell was trying to do Yorkshire with a bit of Nottinghamshire thrown in and didn't always work. Will Scarlet was bad (doctor from ER) and the guy that played Little John is either American or Canadian.

Robert Carlyle did a brilliant scouse accent in Cracker and his Yorkshire in The Full Monty was pretty good too. Johnny Depp in Finding Neverland doesn't seem too bad but maybe someone with a Scottish accent would be a better judge of that than I?  

More often than not they are playing a fictional character that would have an accent that I wouldn't know. Why can't they just use their accent? I know that the Brits I've mentioned are playing Americans, so obviously not there Think

I can't explain why all of a sudden it irks me old

Oh never watched Blood Diamond.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2621 on: November 25, 2012, 01:18 AM »

It's obvious with Brody in Homeland has to be American but I guess there's no reason why House couldn't have been English. Although given the way he acted, I guess a posh English accent who went to Cambridge wouldn't have suited him. Maybe it's because it needs to sell to the American audience and they want to see an American character. But then you still get Jesse Spencer playing a major part in House with his own Australian accent so who knows?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2622 on: November 25, 2012, 10:05 AM »

dontknow

Just watched War Horse:-

Brit: 'you speak good English'

German: 'no, I speak English well' lol

I had to chuckle to myself, the German's are speaking English throughout it, except when they march during a short piece in the movie.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2623 on: November 26, 2012, 11:31 PM »

Actually back onto Homeland, aside from Lewis there are 2 other major characters who are also played by English actors. The 2nd of which I didn't actually know until just now. Just doesn't matter as long as the accent is believeable.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: TV Shows « Reply #2624 on: November 27, 2012, 12:18 AM »

One day Alex, I may venture in. Very Happy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 ... 226 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »