Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The new breed of smartphones. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 Go Down Reply
Author

The new breed of smartphones.

(Read 17939 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #555 on: December 02, 2012, 11:40 PM »

So you can watch everything with a bent, curved or warped screen? They'll never take off.
The picture doesn't warp when the screen is bent.

Bendable screens are the future and there is no going back.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #556 on: December 02, 2012, 11:54 PM »

It seems so pointless and counter-intuitive. They'll never even go into mass production because there will not be any demand for it.

Surely they will actually break more won't they once people start trying to bend them and fold them as much as they can. I can imagine big lines in them that will never disappear from where they have been bent. Also as soon as it's been curved or warped once it will never be able to completely flatten again. Watching videos will be horrible IMO.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 December 03, 2012, 01:22 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #557 on: December 03, 2012, 09:04 AM »

They'll never even go into mass production because there will not be any demand for it.
I'll remind you of that comment in a year Wink

I can imagine big lines in them that will never disappear from where they have been bent. Also as soon as it's been curved or warped once it will never be able to completely flatten again.
Clearly the material they put around the bendable screen is going to be very important.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #558 on: December 04, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Well would you believe it. Just ordered a Nexus 4.

Although not too keen on that 4-5 week shipping estimate.

EDIT: Got it yesterday. It's beautiful Very Happy
[ Last edit by Mark December 07, 2012, 08:06 AM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #559 on: January 10, 2013, 08:53 PM »

5, will never go with apple again, well, not until the next time. I think they must enthuse narcotics into to brand. November next upgrade, probably Apple.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #560 on: January 28, 2013, 02:47 AM »

Someone explain to me why Android phones are so nice.

It looks cluttered as **** to me. I just want to return it, I think. (Samsung Galaxy SIII)
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #561 on: January 28, 2013, 03:37 AM »

Just go back to a cheap regular old style phone that is just for texting and making calls. You have no need for a smart phone, particularly something as expensive as an SIII. Could put that money to much better use. Smile
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #562 on: January 29, 2013, 12:07 AM »

You have no need for a smart phone
You're assuming she doesn't have a use for a portable computer? Remember that smart phones are not really phones - they are computers that are able to make phone calls. They are well worth the money for many people.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #563 on: January 29, 2013, 12:11 AM »

It would be nice, considering how far I commute for school nowadays (1 1/2 hours one way). But I don't think I'm an Android person. Hence the return.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #564 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31 AM »

Mark, I was just trolling for the sake of it because I don't have the knowledge to advise on smart phones. Personally don't think it's worth the money for me given I have a computer at home and at work and am able to cope without going online for the 25 minute bus ride in between. I do think you're better off buying an actual computer than spending the same amount on an SIII or Iphone though. I certainly see the appeal for 3 hours a day of commuting but surely something for a quarter of the price of those 2 does much the same thing. The girlfriend has what was the cheapest option at the time of buying (LG Optimus P500 I think it is) and aside from the SIII being a lot bigger and having a better camera, I'm not sure there's any real fundamental difference that warrants paying about 6 times as much.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 January 29, 2013, 01:39 AM ] IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #565 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25 AM »

Actually, T-Mobile in America (the provider I'm on) now makes you pay retail value for all phones and in exchange, you get a really discounted contract. So all smartphones are in the $399-499 range for the most part. The SIII was the highest at $550 and I think the shittiest smartphone was $400.

No biggie though. I have my iPod touch for when I have WiFi.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #566 on: January 29, 2013, 03:23 AM »

Can you not pick up just a handset (without contract) of a low end one for around $100? I don't know much about contracts as I've always used prepay (or pay as you go I think you call it in the UK) where you just have credit and top it up when you run out. Again makes more sense for someone like me who barely texts or calls. Would never want to be locked into having to pay so much every month anyway.

The girlfriend got her LG handset for $177NZ I think (about $150US currently) and the SIII was about $1000NZ ($850US) when it launched. You can currently get a Galaxy Mini handset for $99 here including a free sim card. Can you not get a similar deal in the US or is everything on contract? With a quick glance at one of the major carrier's websites you can get an SIII for $99 currently on a $120 a month 24 month contract so you then end up paying almost $3000 ($2500US) over the 2 years. Ridiculous.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #567 on: January 29, 2013, 08:39 AM »

If you want to go without contract than Google Nexus 4 is your best option as it's better spec than iPhone 5, better looking (IMO) and half the price.

Yes you can get cheaper handsets like you mention but they tend to be very low spec. That might not matter for some people but for others like to know they have a decent camera with them and a device that operates smoothly.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #568 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31 AM »

On the way back from Germany last week, I had my contract Blackberry nicked. This means I now either have to buy a PAYG phone to use on my contract or buy something off eBay. Can anyone recommend a decent 3G phone for under £60?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The new breed of smartphones. « Reply #569 on: January 29, 2013, 10:39 AM »

You want a smart phone under £60?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »