Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  The science thread... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Reply
Author

The science thread...

(Read 7096 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The science thread... « Reply #90 on: June 29, 2010, 09:11 PM »

You're a bit unstable, George. Calm yourself.
Understatement of the year.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"ELIZABETH GWEN 27.4.70" in Chit-Chat.

Re: The science thread... « Reply #91 on: June 29, 2010, 09:24 PM »

Understatement of the year.
Thanks Mark. I know I can always rely on you to come to my defence. Smile

Now can we get back to dowsing. This is interesting!!!

I was just worried it might turn into one, sorry if that's underestimating you my friend but didn't want negativity slipping into that thread Smile Why do I get the feeling that someone's having a dig at me there?

I’m not having a dig. I’ve got nothing against peace loving Christians. If you are “worried” that this discussion “might turn into a war or words” it is not unreasonable to suppose that your peace-loving beliefs are the reason, is it? Are they not?
[ Last edit by George183 June 29, 2010, 09:44 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: The science thread... « Reply #92 on: June 29, 2010, 09:50 PM »

They are however, you seemed to be inferring something. If however, you are unaware of it then it's probably just my reading of it. Ignore my comment.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: The science thread... « Reply #93 on: June 29, 2010, 09:54 PM »

They are however, you seemed to be inferring something. If however, you are unaware of it then it's probably just my reading of it. Ignore my comment.

OK. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The science thread... « Reply #94 on: June 29, 2010, 09:55 PM »

I get where Hazel is coming from, it's just a general comment about the how this argument looks like it will take the pleasant and calm atmosphere away from this thread.

Might be worth moving it to the science thread? I might be failing to think of a more appropriate place though.
And I wasn't the one who brought up the word "war" .... it was Hazel, who in fact was worried that it would turn into "another war" ....
I know you weren't. I'm just saying that it's a discussion, not a war.
Can we please keep it as a sane, sensible discussion then? pray

I'm happy for it to be moved. I just didn't appreciate being accused of "academic intellectualising" simply because I don't believe in things that are baseless and run contrary to available evidence.
James, I wasn't getting at you personally, and I apologise if you felt that.  It was a somewhat flippant remark made on what should be a light-hearted thread, and I was just having a bit of a dig at academics in general.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: The science thread... « Reply #95 on: June 29, 2010, 10:59 PM »

People will believe what they want to believe no matter how much evidence you present them with. People are generally speaking stupid. This is a well documented fact.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: The science thread... « Reply #96 on: June 29, 2010, 11:01 PM »

People are generally speaking stupid

no  ...   Very Sad
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: The science thread... « Reply #97 on: June 29, 2010, 11:02 PM »

no  ...   Very Sad

Sorry, but while individuals can be intelligent, people as a group are much much less so. The world is up **** creek and this is mainly down to stupidity.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: The science thread... « Reply #98 on: June 29, 2010, 11:03 PM »

Groan ........   lol  (definitely been missing you)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The science thread... « Reply #99 on: June 29, 2010, 11:43 PM »

Sorry, but while individuals can be intelligent, people as a group are much much less so.
I think you might have a valid point about people in a group generally acting less intelligently than they might otherwise do as individuals.  It may have something to do with the "herd instinct" that seems to be innate in a lot of human beings.  Unless a person is particularly strong-minded it seems to be dishearteningly easy to fall in with the crowd mentality and let rationality fly out the window.  Maybe most of us do it as a form of self-preservation, i.e. we don't to be seen as being somehow "different".
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: The science thread... « Reply #100 on: June 30, 2010, 10:46 AM »

People will believe what they want to believe

Which people? There is a name for people like that. Are we referring to victims of brain-washing, indoctrination or propaganda?

no matter how much evidence you present them with.

Do you mean “contrary” evidence?

People are generally speaking stupid. This is a well documented fact.

C’mon Neil, James will explain to you that you can’t come onto a “Science” thread with vague remarks like this. You can’t refer to “well documented facts” without quoting your sources. What are they?
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: The science thread... « Reply #101 on: June 30, 2010, 11:11 AM »

Which people? There is a name for people like that. Are we referring to victims of brain-washing, indoctrination or propaganda?

Do you mean “contrary” evidence?

C’mon Neil, James will explain to you that you can’t come onto a “Science” thread with vague remarks like this. You can’t refer to “well documented facts” without quoting your sources. What are they?

Firstly, "people" refers to the Human race in general.

And yes, I mean contrary evidence, but I feel this was obvious since you managed to point it out yourself.

And "well documented" was clearly tongue in cheek in this case as it is obviously a vast sweeping generalisation used more for humorous value than serious discussion.

But again, I think you know all this and it makes me wonder why you bother asking for clarification.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: The science thread... « Reply #102 on: June 30, 2010, 11:17 AM »

And "well documented" was clearly tongue in cheek in this case as it is obviously a vast sweeping generalisation used more for humorous value than serious discussion.

Oh, right, sorry. I thought this was supposed to be the serious thread.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: The science thread... « Reply #103 on: June 30, 2010, 11:20 AM »

Firstly, "people" refers to the Human race in general.

And yes, I mean contrary evidence, but I feel this was obvious since you managed to point it out yourself.

But again, I think you know all this and it makes me wonder why you bother asking for clarification.

He has a screw loose, Neil.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: The science thread... « Reply #104 on: June 30, 2010, 11:29 AM »

Oh, right, sorry. I thought this was supposed to be the serious thread.

No need to be sorry, happy to respond to any question, I wasn't aware any thread was overly serious. :-)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »