Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  UK General Election 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: When will the ConDem alliance collapse?
2010 - 1 (16.7%)
2011 - 3 (50%)
2012 - 0 (0%)
2013+ - 0 (0%)
It will last. - 2 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 131 Go Down Reply
Author

UK General Election 2010

(Read 16011 times)
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 02:42 PM »

goodjob

I just wish my town didn't bum labour then they'd have a chance.
  They stand more of a chance these days than they did in the past I believe. Maybe not too far into the future they will have grown further and have a real chance of Government which will make things quite interesting.  Os and I have said over the last 5-10 years that if we were 20 years younger we'd be off to Australia - think it's a great country especially for young people.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15 PM »

Laura!!!!!!!!  Wheres that website you found for me comparing the policies??  I can't find it!!  panic
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 10:16 PM »

Nevermind, I just found it lol  It occured to me to actually just do a search to find it, numpty!

Politics Easy Peasy
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 10:20 PM »

Os and I have said over the last 5-10 years that if we were 20 years younger we'd be off to Australia - think it's a great country especially for young people.

Really? Australia has some of the most draconian censorship and privacy laws in the entire "civilised" world.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 09:26 AM »

Really? Australia has some of the most draconian censorship and privacy laws in the entire "civilised" world.

Really?  Like what?  EU overrules UK laws - that's not good no

I need to complete my forms for a proxy vote and pretty darn quick.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30 AM »

I didn't understand anything in that sentence lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 09:32 AM »

I didn't understand anything in that sentence lol

I guess he means this:-

Australia  is a federation, and responsibility for censorship is divided between the states  and the federal government. Censorship of Video Games and Internet sites hosted in Australia are considered to be the strictest in the western world.[citation needed]

The Federal Parliament has the power under the Australian Constitution to make laws relating to communications and customs. Under the communications power the federal government can regulate the broadcast media (television and radio), online services (the internet), and under the customs power, the import/export of printed matter, audiovisual recordings and computer games. However, the production and sale of printed matter, audiovisual recordings and computer games solely within Australia lies with the states.[citation needed]

However, to reduce duplication and ensure some national consistency, the states, territories and federal government have agreed to establish a co-operative national classification scheme. Under this scheme, the Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) (a federal body) classifies works. Federal law enforces these classifications with respect to customs, and online services. (Broadcast media are not under the purview of the OFLC, but rather a separate federal agency, ACMA.)[citation needed]

But since the federal Parliament has no power to criminalise the domestic sale or exhibition of printed matter within the States, the States and Territories then as part of the scheme pass their own laws criminalising such sale and exhibition. However, although they have delegated their censorship responsibility in general to the Commonwealth, they reserve the legal right in specific cases to either:

* reclassify works,
    * prohibit works that the Classification Board has allowed, or
    * allow works that the Classification Board has prohibited.

From Wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Australia

I'm surprised really but they don't mince their words the Aussies (nor the Kiwis) Think

BTW, you'd be instantly banned Amy lol
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 09:48 AM »

My brother has lived in Australia for many years and we are in regular contact and often discuss the pros and cons of policies in both countries. On balance Aussie and New Zealand show far more common sense and are not ruled by a draconian Europe with wasteful policies such as legislating against fruit and veg being sold unless they meet a certain size etc. That's just one minor instance. I don't know enough about Aussie politics to argue the point successfully, I do know the comparisons my brother has made and what we have talked about in this vein.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 09:55 AM »

BTW, you'd be instantly banned Amy lol

hahaha what????  What did I do?  lol  I'd make it more interesting!

I still don't entirely understand but assuming the Ozzies like to keep to themselves lol
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 03:15 PM »

Basically the country is still going to go (actually it's already gone) to the dogs, where politics will remain corrupt and despite recent scandals politicians will think of themselves first and the people second Shrug
Our generation (sorry the older generation) have been screwed and will continue to be where we'll probably work our entire lives (if we can find jobs) and forever be in debt despite the fact the the taxpayers own percentages of the banks they're in debt to Rolling Eyes
Don't want Brown and I'm in West Lothian so we don't have the best relationship with out current Labour Minister lol and not keen on the Tories and Lib Dems would die of fright if anyone actually gave them any real power.
Think my vote might go Labour but on the expectation it will be a hung parliament under a slight Tory majority.

Ohhh just read this back and realised how cynical and jaded I am already lol
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 03:28 PM »

The main three parties are very similar in terms of policy, compared to say, 30 years ago. British politics is a lot more centrist, there is still fringe parties on each wing, but politicians tend to sit on the fence these days and repeat soundbites ad nauseum. They say what people want to hear.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 03:28 PM »

That's awesome!

I really like this one from the conservatives, "Give householders greater protection if they have to defend themselves against intruders in their homes".
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 03:29 PM »

That's awesome!

I really like this one from the conservatives, "Give householders greater protection if they have to defend themselves against intruders in their homes".

'Course you do, you heathenly Southerner.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 03:32 PM »

Might have to vote BNP after reading this, "Re-introduction of corporal punishment for petty criminals and vandals".

roflmao
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: UK General Election 2010 « Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 03:33 PM »

BNP?

* adolfsanger.jpg (57.82 KB, 307x400 - viewed 64 times.)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 131 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »