Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Want any help? This is the thread for you. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Want any help? This is the thread for you.

(Read 5963 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 09:25 PM »

That all sounds a bit cloak and dagger?  However, I do know that you will struggle to get into the Middle East with an Israeli stamp on your passport.  Who knows what gives - you may never be any the wiser, and none of it is any of your fault. 
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Yes, I really don't understand the secrecy around it.
Perhaps my guess about the visas is correct, but the Home Office realise that making it public knowledge would make them look absolutely ridiculous and prefer to keep it hush-hush. Think

They already look ridiculous as does the rest of the government. May as well come out all guns a blazing.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 09:27 PM »

That all sounds a bit cloak and dagger?  However, I do know that you will struggle to get into the Middle East with an Israeli stamp on your passport.  Who knows what gives - you may never be any the wiser, and none of it is any of your fault. 

I'd love to find out, as it's pretty annoying to be made to feel like some sort of security threat in your own country without a proper explanation. Perhaps I should get Liberty, or whatever that civil liberties group is called, onto the case. Or write a letter to Theresa May, though like a true politician she would probably just fob me off! lol
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 09:29 PM »

I'd love to find out, as it's pretty annoying to be made to feel like some sort of security threat in your own country without a proper explanation. Perhaps I should get Liberty, or whatever that civil liberties group is called, onto the case. Or write a letter to Theresa May, though like a true politician she would probably just fob me off! lol

Don't want to alarm you, but I've just read that biometric e-passports are becoming the next target for thieves and terrorists. Maybe the reason why many people's aren't working is because of precautionary reasons.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 09:31 PM »

Don't want to alarm you, but I've just read that biometric e-passports are becoming the next target for thieves and terrorists. Maybe the reason why many people's aren't working is because of precautionary reasons.

Hmmmm, I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. I genuinely think a letter to the Home Office, or the Border Patrol, is in order.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 09:31 PM »

Totally annoying - I'd have been furious - especially when they can't even give you a reasonable explanation, and make you feel like some sort of chancer - ridiculous.  
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 09:32 PM »

People are trying to crack the system open or something like that, meaning that over a quarter of the world's identification system will be at risk.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 09:33 PM »

Totally annoying - I'd have been furious - especially when they can't even give you a reasonable explanation, and make you feel like some sort of chancer - ridiculous. 

If I'd been feeling more with-it, I'd have pushed further - though you need to be careful at immigration for fear of a rubber glove being shoved up your backside! lol
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 09:34 PM »

If you do get some answers, Joe - please share.  Be interesting.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 09:35 PM »

If I'd been feeling more with-it, I'd have pushed further - though you need to be careful at immigration for fear of a rubber glove being shoved up your backside! lol
lol  Yeah - brave armchair words from me - but honestly I'd have been ******** myself!
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 09:36 PM »

If you do get some answers, Joe - please share.  Be interesting.

Will do - I think a letter will be the only way to get any info, although I can imagine now that the reply will be along the lines of 'we need to keep our security practices confidential'. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 12:32 AM »

Would be interested to get some views on this...

About 18 months ago, I got one of those new-fangled fancy UK passports which should be able to scan through automatic gates when re-entering the UK as it recognises your face. I've tried this a few times but it's never worked, but I didn't think much of it as plenty of others seem to have the same problem and I just put it down to faulty contraptions.

However, I went to Australia over Christmas and when I returned via Heathrow, I tried my passport in the E-gate and it again failed to let me through. I went to the desk with the immigration official checking passports manually and said that I'd tried the gates 3 or 4 times since I'd received the passport and it had never worked. The young lady on the desk started to say that some of the newer passports can be faulty (pretty shoddy if true given what you have to pay for them), but stopped after looking at her computer screen and said:

"Ah right - you won't ever be able to use those automatic gates and will have to come to the manned desk every time you re-enter the UK from abroad. There's a security reason but you haven't done anything wrong and it doesn't affect your ability to travel smoothly. I can't tell you any more than that I'm afraid."

I was a bit taken aback and asked if it was because I have dual British/Australian nationality. That seemed to be news to her so I assume it hadn't flashed up on her screen. She said that wasn't the reason and repeated that she couldn't tell me any more. I was tired from a 24 hour journey with little sleep, so I let it go and moved on, but I still don't know what the hell it was about.

A quick search around the internet hasn't turned up others with similar experiences. I assume that she told me too much just by mentioning that there was a security issue, as I tried to ask an official at Gatwick last week after coming back from Barcelona why my passport wouldn't scan in the E-gates - all he said was that it worked on his computer and that the chip must be faulty.

My previous passport had several visas and stamps for the likes of Russia, China and Venezuela in it from my travels over the last few years. Are they perhaps countries that you end up on a watch-list for visiting? The UK doesn't exactly look on them very well diplomatically, even if it sucks up to China for economic reasons. It's fairly absurd if this is the reason, but that's all I can think of.

In reality, it's not a big deal, but a bit bloody annoying to be told that there is a security issue surrounding me and to have to use the manual desks each time when the E-gates are so much faster. What's the silly secrecy about too? "There's a security issue but I can't tell you what it is."

Did you have to pay extra for something you cannot use? 

You need to stop travelling the world!

Sorry, but it's a bit shonky that you can't find out what's written about you.  secret service agent
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 04:02 AM »

^ Ain't modern technology wonderful ... it strikes me that the more 'smart' things become the more scope there is for something going wrong.  Meanwhile illegal immigrants and potential terrorists are coming into the UK all the time ... Rolling Eyes

It sounds to me like the passport people know there's a problem but won't own up to it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 04:10 AM »

What is the best way to stop hair fall? I'm just 14 and my hair falls like hell...they are really soft, black and silky but are falling at an alarming rate. I use a herbal oil right now but see no big difference.
Would like some suggestions from you Smile
I'd like to suggest that you die your hair falls blonde and send some to me because I'm getting a little thin on top. Very Happy  old   My hairdresser says it isn't that I'm going bald or anything, just that my own hair is a finer than it used to be (which is true), but I'm still not entirely convinced that he isn't just try to be nice!

Seriously though - have you spoken to your own hairdresser about this?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Want any help? This is the thread for you. « Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 07:33 AM »

Yeah in the Oldies event. High five Zarfeen!!!! lol

highfive

IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »