Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Weather 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Weather

(Read 6097 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Weather « Reply #165 on: April 07, 2014, 04:27 PM »

Sorry I should have made myself plainer because I wasn't intending to suggest we shouldn't take of the Earth's fragile atmosphere because I know how vital it is to our existence, and I've signed several petitions regarding mass rain forest destruction because of the potentially disastrous effects this is having not only on our planet but because whole swathes of natural animal and bird habitat are being lost as well.
Nae problem Aileen, but thinking about it, the damage to the ozone layer could be speeding up the process if more of the sun's rays are getting through......for instance melting the polar icecaps quicker.  Think
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #166 on: April 07, 2014, 04:29 PM »

If companies continue to destroy the Amazon cutting trees then we will be in trouble. The rain forrest helps to control carbon dioxide as more trees are cut down this will cause levels to increase then were will we be.
Spot on Margaret! Trees provide Oxygen too!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #167 on: April 07, 2014, 05:10 PM »

Nae problem Aileen, but thinking about it, the damage to the ozone layer could be speeding up the process if more of the sun's rays are getting through......for instance melting the polar icecaps quicker.  Think
The last I heard about the polar icecaps is that, while the ice around the North Pole is melting, the Antarctic ice is expanding, and scientists don't yet understand that anomaly.

As for the Amazon trees, I did a bit more research on this and it seems that, as well as being felled by humans, many of these trees are dying due to the effects of acid rain, which of course is due to atmospheric pollution.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 07, 2014, 05:14 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Weather « Reply #168 on: April 07, 2014, 05:31 PM »

Climate change may well be part of  a natural cycle, but I suspect  enviromental destruction is speeding everything up.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #169 on: April 07, 2014, 06:22 PM »

Climate change may well be part of  a natural cycle, but I suspect  enviromental destruction is speeding everything up.
I agree with Aileen and BBH! I hate the way society has changed too! All the 'must have the latest' as soon as it comes out no matter the cost and the sheer waste that entails! Not only technology, but everything! When I hear of people queueing all night for the latest gadget, even although they've a perfectly good one already, it makes me sick! Where does all that plastic end up? Buried in the Earth somewhere no doubt! That can't be good! So selfish!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #170 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34 PM »

I agree with Aileen and BBH! I hate the way society has changed too! All the 'must have the latest' as soon as it comes out no matter the cost and the sheer waste that entails! Not only technology, but everything! When I hear of people queueing all night for the latest gadget, even although they've a perfectly good one already, it makes me sick! Where does all that plastic end up? Buried in the Earth somewhere no doubt! That can't be good! So selfish!
I agree, but unfortunately we live in an instant, must-have era, so therefore many of us have to appease our selfishness and to hell with everything else.  One day though the worm will turn, and then there'll be tears.  I only hope I won't be around to see it.

As for biodegradable plastic - forget it, because all that happens here is that the micro-organisms involved in the decomposition process are simply turning it into carbon dioxide, yet people are conned into thinking that it's 'safe'. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Weather « Reply #171 on: April 08, 2014, 07:04 AM »

Apparently tap water isn't safe in Bejing and they have to drink bottled water!   As Caz said,  until the Chinese and other countries, get their act together I feel us Europeans are spitting in the wind.
Not that we should stop though. Think global, act local.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Weather « Reply #172 on: April 08, 2014, 12:56 PM »

I think the Chinese Government has done little to bring down pollution. Just look how smoggy it was during the olympics, even when the stopped cars coming into the capital. They continue to more or less do nothing about pollution in an effort to increase production of goods sold to the west. In a few years time the health of many Chinese is bound to suffer as the atmosphere will continue to be more polluted.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Weather « Reply #173 on: April 15, 2014, 10:38 PM »

I finally saw my grass at the end of last week. Everything dried up, all gone. Smile

Then... it snowed overnight last night Frown

Not too bad, and most already gone.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #174 on: April 15, 2014, 11:15 PM »

The trees here are finally starting to show signs of greenery after two weeks of dull, cold weather.  Some blossom is coming out as well, so hopefully spring has finally arrived.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Weather « Reply #175 on: April 17, 2014, 08:00 PM »

Spring is here,my magnolia bush is in flower it is so good to see all the lovely flowers coming back.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Weather « Reply #176 on: April 18, 2014, 10:08 AM »

Beautiful clear blue sky and warm sunshine.  Time for a couple of miles walk along a stretch of the pretty Worcestershire canal towpath with my amazing Flatcoated Retriever, Ben.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Weather « Reply #177 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57 AM »

Had the tail end of cyclone Ita yesterday - wrecked a few places throughout New Zealand. We got off pretty lightly, with only a tree behind the garage losing a few large branches and not causing any damage.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/photo-popup/mostype-photogallery-photos--tail-end-of-cyclone-ita-hits-nz#MOSType-Image-Westhaven-Marina-Cyclone-Ita-winds-rain-Peter-Montgomery

Blue skies and sunshine today! Talk about chalk and cheese!

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Weather « Reply #178 on: April 18, 2014, 01:01 PM »

Gorgeous sunny day in glasgow with very light wind. Perfect bank holiday weather for a change.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Weather « Reply #179 on: April 18, 2014, 01:05 PM »

Gorgeous sunny day in glasgow with very light wind. Perfect bank holiday weather for a change.
Same here.  Just setting off for Edinburgh to spend time with my boy - so hoping it's the same there. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »