Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Weather 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Weather

(Read 7429 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 09:49 PM »

Australia floods: New storm forecast for Queensland   [BBC news, 2 Jan]

A severe thunderstorm threatening flash floods has been forecast for the already badly inundated Australian state of Queensland.

More than 20 towns have already been cut off or flooded across an area larger than France and Germany, with more than 200,000 people affected.

Meanwhile, a woman swept from the road in her car has become the first victim of the widespread flooding.

At least two other people have been reported missing.

In some areas waters are receding, but in Rockhampton - a city of 77,000 - they have yet to reach their peak.

Floodwaters could reach nine metres (30 feet) on Monday and peak at 9.4 metres on Wednesday, it says.

The Bureau of Meteorology says a severe thunderstorm late on Sunday night will bring "damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones" to areas including Charleville, Emerald and Blackwater.

This includes areas in the central Highlands which have been hit badly by the floods in recent weeks.

Read more - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12105078
[ Last edit by Aileen January 02, 2011, 09:58 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Weather « Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 09:53 PM »

Hard luck, crims.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 10:11 PM »

More than 1,000 blackbirds fall out of Arkansas sky  [BBC News, 2 Jan]

Officials are investigating why more than 1,000 birds - most of them dead - fell out of the sky in the US state of Arkansas on New Year's Eve.

Severe weather over Arkansas could be the cause of the mystery deaths

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12105157
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Weather « Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 04:07 PM »

Is the end nigh  nervous

What's next to die in Arkansas? Now 100,000 dead FISH are found washed up... after 1,000 blackbirds fell from the sky

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343712/Whats-die-Arkansas-100-000-dead-FISH-washed-banks-river--1-000-blackbirds-fell-sky.html#ixzz19zNaHBmg
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21 PM »

Is the end nigh  nervous

What's next to die in Arkansas? Now 100,000 dead FISH are found washed up... after 1,000 blackbirds fell from the sky
This is like something out of a Hitchcock horror film, Daisy.  Worse, even, because it has actually happened for real.  But why just Arkansas? Think:
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Weather « Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 01:22 PM »

This is like something out of a Hitchcock horror film, Daisy.  Worse, even, because it has actually happened for real.  But why just Arkansas? Think:

The Powers that Be are getting their own back on Bill Clinton ...  lmao
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 01:44 PM »

The Powers that Be are getting their own back on Bill Clinton ...  lmao
I knew there had to be a reason ... lol
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Weather « Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 02:28 PM »

This is what would make me shudder .... flooding in Australia.  Can you just imagine all those pissed off snakes who have been washed out of their holes ..........*shudder*

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 02:34 PM »

^^ And the hungry crocs.  It's reckoned the poisonous snakes and crocs will be a major threat to the public, especially if they enter people's houses ...

I don't care to even think about it!  Urrrgh!!!

IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Weather « Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 02:36 PM »

I was checking out Buhweet's favourite news channel, Al Jazeera, this morning, and they were showing how normal things are away from the water - town centre bustling with activity etc.  Amazing.  BUT ...  I absolutely loathe snakes ...
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Weather « Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 02:43 PM »

Not as bad as roaches..... YICK.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Weather « Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 02:44 PM »

Don't mind roaches .... they make a marvellous crunching sound right before they waft up to roach heaven ... Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 02:45 PM »

^^ I imagine you might get something closer to the truth on that channel.

Snakes?  Don't even mention the word!  I can't visit the reptile house at the zoo.  They make me feel all shaky and physically sick.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Weather « Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 07:21 PM »

The weird stuff is spreading ...

First thousands of birds dead in Arkansas ... now HUNDREDS more fall from the sky in Kentucky and Louisiana and tens of THOUSANDS of dead fish wash ashore

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343962/First-thousands-birds-dead-Arkansas---HUNDREDS-drop-dead-Kentucky-Louisiana-tens-THOUSANDS-dead-fish-wash-ashore.html#ixzz1A60qdqHN
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Weather « Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17 AM »

Don't mind roaches .... they make a marvellous crunching sound right before they waft up to roach heaven ... Smile
Sadist ... Very Happy

The weird stuff is spreading ...

First thousands of birds dead in Arkansas ... now HUNDREDS more fall from the sky in Kentucky and Louisiana and tens of THOUSANDS of dead fish wash ashore
Better start praying, guys!

I can't believe the fireworks' theory.  If that were the case why didn't birds fall out of the sky after New Year fireworks in the UK, and in other parts of the world, not to mention the lengthy annual end-of-Festival extravaganza here in Edinburgh?  And why just this year?  Of course maybe the adverse weather conditions meant they were flying lower than normal?

As for the fish, that sounds like some disease like the awful ulcerative salmon disease I recall 40 years ago which virtually wiped out salmon stocks.  Holidaying in the north-west of Scotland, I saw rivers full of diseased and dying fish.  Horrible.

Spooky-wooky though. nervous

Snake risk for flooded Queenslanders

Flushed out by Queensland's rising flood waters, deadly snakes are on the move in the region's cities and towns.

There are also fears that crocodiles are now floating in flood waters. Residents have been advised not to enter the waters.

The Australian state of Queensland is home to some of the world's most venomous snakes, including the Common or Eastern Brown snake, the Coastal Taipan and the Death adder, as well as saltwater crocodiles - among the largest of the species, and a notorious man-eater.

But now some of these dangerous creatures are on the move and the likelihood that they will come into contact with humans is increased.

Venomous snakes are climbing trees, seeking cover in homes and outbuildings and trying to find higher, dryer ground, meaning that the same number of snakes will be present in a smaller area.

Crocodiles too are dispersing, the limits of their natural habitat now vastly expanded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12111213
[ Last edit by Aileen January 05, 2011, 02:29 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »