Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  What songs make you emotional? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

What songs make you emotional?

(Read 3470 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 07:27 PM »

I think it's the sound of them, Elly.  It isn't unusual to see a lone piper playing at funerals anywhere in the UK which are reported on TV.

On the other hand though the pipes can be very uplifting.  Hearing "Scotland the Brave" played on them really stirs my Scot's blood.
Yup - I love 'Scotland the Brave'.  There'll be no fecker playing pipes at my funeral.  I'll give them all money to go to the pub!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 08:08 PM »

Not a song, but this makes me laugh so much.  Is that an emotion? 

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 06:09 PM »

Hi All,

Oh dear, there are probably loads for me. My Dad's favourite hymn was How Great Thou Art. I loved it too. However, more than ten years after he died I still can't hear it without getting really upset. We've done it at church, obviously, a few times, and I always think 'you will NOT cry', but I always do.

With me being such a big fan of Cliff Richard, and very proud of it too, there are a few of Cliff's I associate with friends, family and special times. One of his that makes me emotional is The Best Of Me, a single from 1989. I was adopted by my parents, and somehow this one, without even meaning to, captures what I hope I was able to give back to the people I regard as my parents, because they brought me up, looked after me, waited outside operating theatres for me, that sort of stuff.

I don't know if any of you ever saw the TV series Band Of Brothers, a few years back. I don't quite know why, but the theme music to that really chokes me. Nimrod by Elgar gets me as well. Another piece that gets me every Remembrance Day is Flowers Of The Forest. It's those pipes again Aileen!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 01:02 AM »

Hi All,

Oh dear, there are probably loads for me. My Dad's favourite hymn was How Great Thou Art. I loved it too. However, more than ten years after he died I still can't hear it without getting really upset. We've done it at church, obviously, a few times, and I always think 'you will NOT cry', but I always do.

With me being such a big fan of Cliff Richard, and very proud of it too, there are a few of Cliff's I associate with friends, family and special times. One of his that makes me emotional is The Best Of Me, a single from 1989. I was adopted by my parents, and somehow this one, without even meaning to, captures what I hope I was able to give back to the people I regard as my parents, because they brought me up, looked after me, waited outside operating theatres for me, that sort of stuff.

I don't know if any of you ever saw the TV series Band Of Brothers, a few years back. I don't quite know why, but the theme music to that really chokes me. Nimrod by Elgar gets me as well. Another piece that gets me every Remembrance Day is Flowers Of The Forest. It's those pipes again Aileen!
My favourite hymn, or should I say metrical psalm because I'm Church of Scotland, is the well-known 23rd Pslam, "The Lord's My Shepherd".  The words are simple and so is the music that goes with them.  I'm not a particularly religious person, yet this does do something for me - and I remember in the days following 9/11 I kept picking the notes out on the piano, although I'm not really sure why - maybe it was some sort of comfort in trying to comprehend the terrible events which happened.  It's certainly very popular at funerals.  In fact I'm having it at mine - just that, and nothing else.

As for Elgar's Nimrod - that really gets me going too, and when it's played at Remembrance Day services, I'm done, and that goes for Flowers of the Forest as well.

It don't know if you know the history behind Flowers of the Forest, but both the words and the music were composed as a lament to the thousands of Scottish youth, including most of her nobility and her King (hence the 'flowers') - who died at the  Battle of Flodden in 1513, in what was undoubtedly Scotland's darkest hour.

The tune is regarded by pipers as being sacred and should only ever be played to commemorate the fallen, although it does sometimes get played at funerals regardless.  In fact I understand that it's so sacred that even when a piper is being taught to play it, or is practising it, that this should be done in private. 

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 05:17 PM »

I hate this man. This was in the charts when I had an unrequited love affair as a 15-y-o. I can't listen to this ***** of a song without welling up. I also LOATHE autumn as a result.

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 05:27 PM »

I remember I had only been in Australia a short time. I was in Melbourne and the police pipe band was playing
I got very emotional and started to cry. The pipes are great and can touch the soul of all Scots in must be inbred. It also stirs the heart and is great music. Perhaps only Scots do appreciate the pipes.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 05:40 PM »

I hate this man. This was in the charts when I had an unrequited love affair as a 15-y-o. I can't listen to this ***** of a song without welling up. I also LOATHE autumn as a result.

tender
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 05:41 PM »

tender

Please don't tell me you like this song.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 05:42 PM »

I remember I had only been in Australia a short time. I was in Melbourne and the police pipe band was playing
I got very emotional and started to cry. The pipes are great and can touch the soul of all Scots in must be inbred. It also stirs the heart and is great music. Perhaps only Scots do appreciate the pipes.
Must have been even worse, being so far away from home.  Frown
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 05:43 PM »

Please don't tell me you like this song.
I do, as it happens.  It's sort of 'haunting'.  However, I shall banish it to Room 101 on the back of your unrequited love. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Must have been even worse, being so far away from home.  Frown
I used to feel bad enough when I was living in London!

I can totally understand why Nigel and I'm sorry you felt the hurt so badly. hug  Fifteen is an emotional enough time without adding to it.  I admit the song stirred up some emotions with me as well and I wouldn't want to listen to it again.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 19, 2013, 01:38 AM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 07:50 PM »

I love Karen Matheson she has a beautiful voice. She is singing in Gaelic the song is from the film Rob Roy it is called Ailein Duinn. She is singing it With Donald Shaw. It can be found on You Tube. I also love the salms sung without any music the harmonies are wonderful and so inspiring. Many on MW may never have heard Gaelic it is a beautiful language for singing I hope you will listen and enjoy.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 07:57 PM »

^ I like her as well, LB.  I'm not a Gaelic speaker, but have a couple of pals who come from Lewis...

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #58 on: February 18, 2013, 08:10 PM »

Elly I can't speak Gaelic but I love her singing she has a beautiful clear voice it makes me feel emotional too.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What songs make you emotional? « Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 08:17 PM »

I saw her live at the Glasgow Concert Hall - she didn't disappoint.  Weren't they in a bad car accident or something?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »