Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Where are all the English proteges? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Where are all the English proteges?

(Read 824 times)
David
Satellite Level

Where are all the English proteges? « on: October 24, 2005, 12:48 PM »

http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis.cfm?id=2132022005
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Where are all the English proteges? « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 12:55 PM »

Think the answer lies in this bit
You are always going to get drop-outs, and now I know you have to create an environment where it's cool to be at a tennis club, where it's enjoyable to be at a tennis club.

"It can be a very lonely sport, and academies like those in Florida are much better. The kids are all training together under one roof, and it is a social environment. We have to try and do that in Scotland."

Injuries have hampered Martin Lee, while the amount of hard work needed to succeed proved a step too far for Bogdanovich and Lee Childs.

It's a precarious sport, isn't it?  :?
IP Logged
Iain
Futures Level

Where are all the English proteges? « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 05:45 PM »

Hi, there. That's a very interesting article. What a shame about Nicola Allen. I'm a bit concerned about the LTA's effect on players. I know Tim did well under them. But I got the impression Jamie Murray didn't benefit much from their training methods either. I went to Stirling University, although I don't remember Murray's coach. I don't think the indoor tennis centre has been up there very long, although I guess it's a good idea to have it all under the same roof in the center of the country. I don't know if the LTA has a training facility north of London, that might help things. I heard good things about Jamie Baker in an interview with Judy Murray, apparently he's in the world junior top 10 and has won some big tournaments, I don't know much more about him. I might paste this post to another busier thread to see if Amy knows anything about these players from the circuit.
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Where are all the English proteges? « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:45 PM »

:?  Jamie Baker seems to be the only player on the radar at the moment. Isn't that sad?

The women have it even tougher though. Are there any female Brits coming up?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »