Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Chit Chat  >  Who created us? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Who created us?

(Read 6183 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Who created us? « Reply #135 on: May 18, 2008, 03:06 AM »

The only point of discussion here is whether there is a God at all. If their is a God, He is by definition an all powerful being, and nothing starts. To call that a ridiculous view is stupid, since so many millions believe it. Maybe try and have some respect for others opinions.
By the way i have never said what i believe, i'm just representing other opinions.

Do you know why people believe it?  Culture.  Do you think it's a coincidence that people born in Pakistan are generally muslims and people born in the US are generally Christians?  Beliefs are cultural.  We adopt the beliefs of our parents.

A Christian from the USA would most likely be a Muslim if they were born in Pakistan to Pakistani parents.  We do not make informed decisions about what to believe.  We don't have the capacity to do that until we have matured.

What is ridiculous is the concept.  The world is billions of years old.  I'm stunned you think the argument you're posing is plausible.

I'm going to illustrate my point.

I think a giant turd created the world 5 days ago.  Disprove that theory.  Take all the time you need.
[ Last edit by Clydey May 18, 2008, 03:29 AM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Who created us? « Reply #136 on: May 18, 2008, 03:15 AM »

You're right, its impossible to disprove, however i don't believe its true either. There is absolutely no reason to say the world is not more then a few thousand of years old - once you believe in a God of course, you're just too used to the way of thinking that its billions of years old, and therefore say its ridiculous. In a way, you've been brain-washed by science to the degree that anything else is ridiculous.
I'm not saying I believe anything written here so far. I have an open mind, and don't disregard anything unless its patently ridiculous. I cannot say the same about the way you represent yourself, however.

Basically, I'm trying to get across the point that you shouldn't think your beliefs are set in stone. They're beliefs like anyone elses.
And please don't come back again just saying "ha ha ha you seriously think the world isn't billions of years old?".
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Who created us? « Reply #137 on: May 18, 2008, 03:18 AM »

I am so seriously snookered for tomorrow. Quarter part five. By the way, don't take anything i say personally! Good night.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Who created us? « Reply #138 on: May 18, 2008, 03:28 AM »

*sigh* I believe what I believe based on evidence.  There's no evidence for God's existence, so I don't believe such a being exists.  If new evidence comes to light, I'll look at it.  That is called being open-minded.
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Who created us? « Reply #139 on: May 18, 2008, 09:52 AM »

To call that a ridiculous view is stupid, since so many millions believe it. Maybe try and have some respect for others opinions.

Millions of people believe(d) in communism, that doesn't make it right.
People believe in God because they're scared or because they want/need comfort/self-validation. To me, those aren't good reasons to believe something isn't made up.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Who created us? « Reply #140 on: May 18, 2008, 10:03 AM »

But if everyone was as cynical as you, the world would be one hell of a depressing place.
IP Logged
Jameselaprendi
Challenger Level

Re: Who created us? « Reply #141 on: May 18, 2008, 10:39 AM »

As for my tuppance worth, organised religions are absolute nonsense. I think the man studying social studies could've done a lot better a job showing how religion is almost certainly a control mechanism for the masses, or a safety net against personal fear. (Look at how modern politics and the mass media attempt to contol the masses and you'll see they match up with how religion works.)

Religion and faith are psychological phenomenons, which all groups of humans in any period of history have 'suffered' from. The continuing existence of such phenomenoms, I personally believe, demonstrates a weakness/limitation of the human mind.

I think the question of whether or not there is a 'god' has nothing to do with religion/faith, as they are man-made constructions and as such have absolutely no basis in the 'reality' of the situation (imo).

Personally I think the word 'god' belongs to such human constructions so I prefer to think of the possibilty of a 'Creator', whose potential existence and nature is a scientific debate in my mind (based on logic/reason/evidence/etc). There's every likelyhood of a creator. Assuming we accept scientific theory back to the Big Bang - something which was put quite well on a previous page is that we dont know what 'environment' came before it.

When it comes down to it, if you dismiss the idea of an 'intelligent' creator somewhere along the line, you may well be dismissing the idea that we have free will. That instead we are all just miniscule particles running through a monumental scientific equation. Current science is nowhere near 'solid' enough to lean on for the ultimate answer to anything to be honest. Quite possibily we will look as backward to future generations as past generations look to us.

Lack of decently devloped science to turn to is the reason 'fairytale' religion is still going strong, its still 'filling in the gaps' as Clydey said when he was refering to its role in past times - it still has that role now.

Can we ever become an enlightened species who doesnt need constructed religion to help us deal with the nature of existence, deal with our fears and give us morales? Id love to tell you but my gf just made waffles....  w00t
[ Last edit by Jameselaprendi May 18, 2008, 10:53 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Who created us? « Reply #142 on: May 18, 2008, 11:29 AM »

Why did I bother reading the argument between Clydey and Yamor? It ended up going in a circle doh
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Who created us? « Reply #143 on: May 18, 2008, 11:30 AM »

Like most of my arguments, huh? There's something wrong with me! lol
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Who created us? « Reply #144 on: May 18, 2008, 11:39 AM »

But if everyone was as cynical as you, the world would be one hell of a depressing place.

What kind of a ridiculous statement is that? I'm cynical for being realistic and not believing in God? I'm pretty sure I enjoy my life 100 times more than a religious person who's walking on his toes all the time.

You know when the world would be a depressing place? When all these religions keep bumping up against each other, trying to convince everyone and taking over the world. Oh, wait, that's what it is already.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Who created us? « Reply #145 on: May 18, 2008, 11:55 AM »

No, I think your view of anyone who doesn't take your view - like people who believe in religion - is very narrow.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Who created us? « Reply #146 on: May 18, 2008, 12:00 PM »

Exactly my point earlier. People normally claim that its creationists who don't like other people having other views - on this thread its been the opposite!
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Who created us? « Reply #147 on: May 18, 2008, 12:04 PM »

In what way is atheism cynical?

Are you cynical because you don't believe in unicorns?
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Who created us? « Reply #148 on: May 18, 2008, 12:08 PM »

No, I think your view of anyone who doesn't take your view - like people who believe in religion - is very narrow.

There are many reasons why people believe in God.  Not one of those reasons are based on logic or evidence.  So no, Dentie isn't being cynical.  If you can show us the evidence of God's existence, I'm sure we'd both look at it.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Who created us? « Reply #149 on: May 18, 2008, 12:09 PM »

I don't think she meant atheism is cynical, more that dana's views about religion were cynical.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »