Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Columns  >  Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray

(Read 3968 times)
fuzzyballs
Challenger Level

Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « on: July 03, 2009, 09:20 PM »

Once again, with his draw opened up in a slam, Murray fails to perform.

Australian Open: Lost to Verdasco but has beaten him handily in all subsequent meetings. Murray of course lost the one that really counted.

French Open: Played a stinker of a match against Gonzalez, spent most of the match scurrying two meters behind the baseline like a rat.

Wimbledon: Goes into the match as clear favourite, against a guy he is 6-2 up in the H2H against, and whom had just come through a well past best Hewitt in five sets. Murray like the champ he is put in his worst serving performance of the tournament, returned dreadfully, and floated back about 90% of his shots off both wings.

The media need to realise that the chances of Murray winning a slam at all now are rather low (history backs this up) and with a second serve that seems to be declining (78mph!) he's always going to come up short against a top player putting in a good performance.

It looks very much like the slams are just a step too far in terms of physical requirements and the level of the opposition (players generally put in better performances in slams that MS tournaments).

I find it amusing when people say "oh he's only 22", because the story will always be the same, "oh he's only 25/30/retired". Players have a relatively small window of opportunity in which to step up, and if they fail to take it they tend to fade into obscurity.
[ Last edit by Mark December 03, 2009, 12:08 AM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:21 PM »

Once again, with his draw opened up in a slam, Murray fails to perform.

AO: Lost to Verdasco, but has beaten him handily in all subsequent meetings. Murray of course lost the one that really counted.

FO: Played a stinker of a match against Gonzalez, spent most of the match scurrying 2 meters behind the baseline  like a rat.

W: Goes into the match as clear favourite, against a guy he is 6-2 up in H2h against, and whom had just come through a well past best Hewitt in 5 sets.  Murray like the champ he is put in his worst serving performance of the tournament, returned dreadfully, and floated back about 90% of his shots off both wings.

The media need to realise that the chances of Murray winning a slam at all now are rather low (history backs this up) and with a 2nd serve that seems to be declining (78mph!) he's always going to come up short against a top player putting in a good performance (as Roddick did today). It looks very much like the slams are just a step to far in terms of physical requirements and the level of the opposition (players generally put in better performances in slams that MS tournaments).

I find it amusing when people say 'oh he's only 22', because the story will always be the same, 'oh he's only 25/30/retired'. Players have a relatively small window of opportunity in which to step up, and if they fail to take it they tend to fade into obscurity.

So you think he'll never win a slam?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:24 PM »

So where have you been hiding, fuzzy, in the last 6 months?
IP Logged
fuzzyballs
Challenger Level

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:29 PM »

So you think he'll never win a slam?

Has today's performance convinced you that this belief is more or less erroneous?
IP Logged
Ghostbuster
Futures Level

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:29 PM »

A relatively sensible post from you, but not entirely fair. I plan/planned on making a thread going over all the positives/negatives of this tournament, but the "great h2h against an opponent, only to lose in a slam" thing was someting I wanted to touch on and see what other people thought about. I think the next two slams are so important to Andy. It's crazy. If he wins the US, I know there will be so many people (myself included) suddenly thinking the sky is the limit and that he can win anything - and I think that will be the case. I don't want to put a number on it, but it could be very impressive. However, if he DOESN'T win either of those two, suddenly it starts looking very bleak. He'd be 23 by RG, and we can't expect the first slam to come there or, in all honesty, at Wimbledon. Wimby is going to get harder and harder every year now, especially if he isn't already a slam winner going into the tournament. By then he's 23, with just two slams left as a 23 year old. And by then we're saying what I'm saying now "ok - he needs this one". I wonder how long and how often we can do that.

This US Open is massive.
IP Logged
fuzzyballs
Challenger Level

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:30 PM »

So where have you been hiding, fuzzy, in the last 6 months?

Did I miss something important? Did Murray win a slam?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:30 PM »

Has today's performance convinced you that this belief is more or less erroneous?

I like that you write off his entire career based on one defeat. You're a genius.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:31 PM »

Did I miss something important? Did Murray win a slam?
Fuzzy!  You are here.... a much more refreshing blast than the usual.  You know it's only a matter of time..... you know it......  yes
IP Logged
fuzzyballs
Challenger Level

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 09:32 PM »

A relatively sensible post from you, but not entirely fair. I plan/planned on making a thread going over all the positives/negatives of this tournament, but the "great h2h against an pponent, only to lose in a slam" thing was someting I wanted to touch on and see what other people thought about. I think the next two slams are so important to Andy. It's crazy. If he wins the US, I know there will be so many people (myself included) suddenly thinking the sky is the limit and that he can win anything - and I think that will be the case. I don't want to put a number on it, but it could be very impressive. However, if he DOESN'T win either of those two, suddenly it starts looking very bleak. He'd be 23 by RG, and we can't expect the first slam to come there or, in all honesty, at Wimbledon. Wimby is going to get harder and harder every year now, especially if he isn't already a slam winner going into the tournament. By then he's 23, with just two slams left as a 23 year old. And by then we're saying what I'm saying now "ok - he needs this one". I wonder how long and how often we can do that.

This US Open is massive.

With Federer back to his best, Nadal looking to reassert himself and the rest of the field viewing Murray as someone against whom they have a shot in a 5 set format, I'd say his chances at the USO are very slim indeed. What happened to him today ant Wimbledon could easily happen at the USO.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 09:33 PM »

Been missing your unique approach Fuzzy .... Whistle
IP Logged
fuzzyballs
Challenger Level

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 09:33 PM »

Fuzzy!  You are here.... a much more refreshing blast than the usual.  You know it's only a matter of time..... you know it......  yes

It's been 'only a matter of time' for a few years now. Time won't wait for Murray to grow a pair.
IP Logged
fuzzyballs
Challenger Level

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:34 PM »

I like that you write off his entire career based on one defeat. You're a genius.

Fair enough.

Did his AO performance convince you that this view in any more erroneous, how about the FO?  Even the slam final he made he disgraced himself with a woeful effort against Federer. He's beaten Federer many times since, but when it really mattered once again he fell to bits. Are you seeing a pattern emerge?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 09:35 PM »

It's been 'only a matter of time' for a few years now. Time won't wait for Murray to grow a pair.
lol  You crack me up!  Seriously - you can't be real..... You're just a stalker waiting for a Murray defeat.  Does it not get a bit boring? 
IP Logged
fuzzyballs
Challenger Level

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 09:37 PM »

lol  You crack me up!  Seriously - you can't be real..... You're just a stalker waiting for a Murray defeat.  Does it not get a bit boring? 

It never gets boring because Murray never fails to fail when it counts.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Cometh the hour, wilteth the Murray « Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 09:39 PM »

It never gets boring because Murray never fails to fail when it counts.
I see.... and this gives you pleasure?  And if it does... why?  How can you be arsed to post on this site? 
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »