Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Columns  >  Emperor Federer and the naked truth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 ... 104 Go Down Reply
Author

Emperor Federer and the naked truth

(Read 27084 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1350 on: November 20, 2012, 10:58 AM »

He wasn't invited to play in Abu Dhabi and you can only play there if they have asked you! Quite a lot was made of the fact that the Fed wasn't asked when the players were announced.
When it was announced the AD directors were making a lot of excuses about Federer and certainly seemed to imply some sort of failed negotiations.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1351 on: November 20, 2012, 10:59 AM »

The same article says that Fed is having a 'personal dispute' with the tournament director but doesn't say over what, although his appearance fee would seem to be the most likely.  However the pair met in London and it's been widely reported that negotiations will lead to an agreement being reached soon and that Fed will play.

Why should Federer get more appearance fee than anyone else? confused
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1352 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08 PM »

I made this comment about the fee based on a post from Alis @ 10:49pm yesterday, so it's pure speculation and I apologise for the confusion.  However I'll see if I can track down just exactly what this dispute is all about.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1353 on: November 20, 2012, 12:51 PM »

I assume they all negotiate their own appearance fees.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1354 on: November 20, 2012, 01:39 PM »

I assume they all negotiate their own appearance fees.
In a Masters?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1355 on: November 20, 2012, 02:10 PM »

I don't hate easily. It is a negative, unhelpful emotion that takes too much energy. That said, my thing is if I feel slighted or hurt on behalf of someone else. I can handle being insulted, put down or wounded in some way myself, but I can't deal with it for people I care for so easily. The trouble is that my ability to care for a lot of people is, shall I say, quite well developed! Maybe there is such a thing as caring too much, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

I definitely understand this. If (painting a scenario here) you had a son and if he was hurt/killed (God forbid) by someone before your eyes, then the anger and hatred you'd feel is completely justifiable. Similarly, the way Andy was treated by those Federer fans in front of our very eyes, who love him so dearly and especially when neither Andy nor us were involved in any kind of provocation, I found our anger/hatred towards the act completely reasonable. So I can’t possibly make a sweeping judgment and say I don’t hate anyone because it doesn’t cover all situations.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1356 on: November 20, 2012, 02:24 PM »

I think it's because he brings a lot more weight to the tournaments and draws a bigger crowd because of his achievements, so that gives him a lot of room for negotiation.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1357 on: November 20, 2012, 03:39 PM »

In a Masters?
I've just checked that out and they can't negotiate fees for Masters 1000 events.  Pretty obvious really since these, apart from MC, are obligatory.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1358 on: November 20, 2012, 03:42 PM »

In a Masters?

No - I meant in invitational exhibitions.  I thought we were talking about Abu Dhabi.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1359 on: November 20, 2012, 03:55 PM »

No - I meant in invitational exhibitions.  I thought we were talking about Abu Dhabi.

The exos must give him enormous power to negotiate. Nadal is also described as “greedy” by his own fans, when he chose to play a lot of exos in the past after burning out completely and then complaining a lot about the longer ATP schedule.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1360 on: November 20, 2012, 03:59 PM »

When it was announced the AD directors were making a lot of excuses about Federer and certainly seemed to imply some sort of failed negotiations.
You're right MH.  I did a search and it seems Roger's 5 year contract with the Swiss Indoors expired this year and that his manager is requesting that his starting fee be doubled from CHF500,000 to CHF1m - a figure which the organisers say is not only unrealistic but also one which they can't afford.  However they're desperate to have Roger, and Roger is equally keen to go on playing there, so therein lies the problem, and for the moment at least negotiations have stalled - http://www.rogerfedererfans.com/forum/topic/835-will-roger-federer-renew-his-contract-with-swiss-indoors-basel/
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1361 on: November 20, 2012, 04:51 PM »

You're right MH.  I did a search and it seems Roger's 5 year contract with the Swiss Indoors expired this year and that his manager is requesting that his starting fee be doubled from CHF500,000 to CHF1m - a figure which the organisers say is not only unrealistic but also one which they can't afford.  However they're desperate to have Roger, and Roger is equally keen to go on playing there, so therein lies the problem, and for the moment at least negotiations have stalled - http://www.rogerfedererfans.com/forum/topic/835-will-roger-federer-renew-his-contract-with-swiss-indoors-basel/

I was referring to Abu Dhabi. lol

Seems to be a lot of confusion with everyone talking about different tournaments!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1362 on: November 20, 2012, 06:18 PM »

I definitely understand this. If (painting a scenario here) you had a son and if he was hurt/killed (God forbid) by someone before your eyes, then the anger and hatred you'd feel is completely justifiable. Similarly, the way Andy was treated by those Federer fans in front of our very eyes, who love him so dearly and especially when neither Andy nor us were involved in any kind of provocation, I found our anger/hatred towards the act completely reasonable.

That illustration fits exactly what I meant. For me personally, the situation with Andy was bad as well because I couldn't vent by yelling abuse at the TV. That made it feel worse and added to the frustration.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1363 on: November 20, 2012, 07:42 PM »

.. you had a son and if he was hurt/killed (God forbid) by someone before your eyes.. 

If you can equate a parent watching as her child is killed by someone with Andy getting booed, then I honestly don't know what to say, except I'm assuming you are not a parent.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1364 on: November 20, 2012, 09:14 PM »

If you can equate a parent watching as her child is killed by someone with Andy getting booed, then I honestly don't know what to say, except I'm assuming you are not a parent.

I thought it was obvious that EJ wasn't making a comparison between the two. The point being made was that it is sometimes harder to excuse someone doing harm or insulting someone we care about than it is if someone insults or harms us.

I'll make that clearer. When I was at school I had a friend whose mother died from cancer. My friend never really recovered from the loss of her mother and it happened before she was a teenager. Now, I knew another girl who relentlessly teased my friend for grieving. Had this girl had a go at me about something I could have let it go pretty easily, but she didn't, she had a go at my friend, so I made damned sure she understood what a pathetic, nasty, vindictive little cow she was.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 ... 104 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »