Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Columns  >  Emperor Federer and the naked truth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 104 Go Down Reply
Author

Emperor Federer and the naked truth

(Read 27197 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1365 on: November 20, 2012, 09:47 PM »

Good for you for supporting your friend through that difficult time in her life, especially being school-aged. I work in a High School, and I know the emotional toll it can take on students, especially girls.

I thought it was obvious that EJ wasn't making a comparison between the two.

Respectfully beg to differ:

I definitely understand this. If (painting a scenario here) you had a son and if he was hurt/killed (God forbid) by someone before your eyes, then the anger and hatred you'd feel is completely justifiable. Similarly, the way Andy was treated by those Federer fans in front of our very eyes, who love him so dearly and especially when neither Andy nor us were involved in any kind of provocation, I found our anger/hatred towards the act completely reasonable. So I can’t possibly make a sweeping judgment and say I don’t hate anyone because it doesn’t cover all situations.

I can understand hating for the murder of your child, and it gives me chills to even think about it.. but to compare this to being (understandably) upset at Andy being booed by Fedfans is, quite frankly, obscene.
This surely is a whole other level of 'hate' we are talking about?
[ Last edit by scotnadian November 20, 2012, 10:02 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1366 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26 PM »

I was referring to Abu Dhabi. lol

Seems to be a lot of confusion with everyone talking about different tournaments!
Indeed. Smile  However I wasn't aware that Roger had a problem with Basel, so I've learnt something today.  I can't understand though why, if he's so keen to renew his contract, he doesn't tell his manager to drop the negotiations.  After all he doesn't need the money.  It does make we wonder just how far the top players are controlled by their management teams.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1367 on: November 21, 2012, 09:26 AM »

I don't know, Fed seems to be very greedy for the pennies at the moment hence his South American tour.  Perhaps he does have retirement in mind and is cashing in while he can.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1368 on: November 21, 2012, 01:39 PM »

I don't know, Fed seems to be very greedy for the pennies at the moment hence his South American tour.  Perhaps he does have retirement in mind and is cashing in while he can.
From this article by Simon Cambers, a recognised sports journalist, it looks like Fed isn't going any time soon - http://www.thetennisspace.com/analysing-roger-federers-schedule-for-2013/

I notice that Cambers says that Fed is giving Basel a miss.  As the article is dated yesterday, then it seems that the negotiations for a considerably enhanced fee (around £700,000) may have broken down.  How my heart bleeds for him!
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1369 on: November 22, 2012, 02:02 PM »

Fed seems to be very greedy for the pennies at the moment.  Perhaps he does have retirement in mind and is cashing in while he can.

Isn't the guy worth over 50 million?  It beggars belief how much some people seem to think they need to live their life.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1370 on: November 22, 2012, 02:36 PM »

Isn't the guy worth over 50 million?  It beggars belief how much some people seem to think they need to live their life.
I may be far wrong, but I don't think the money is an issue for him. He seems to be determined to deny his decline. If he doesn't come to terms with it, it will all end in tears, and that very soon.  He needs to move on.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1371 on: November 22, 2012, 02:57 PM »

He seems to be determined to deny his decline. If he doesn't come to terms with it, it will all end in tears...

He should heed the phrase all good things come to an end.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1372 on: November 22, 2012, 04:14 PM »

From this article by Simon Cambers, a recognised sports journalist, it looks like Fed isn't going any time soon - http://www.thetennisspace.com/analysing-roger-federers-schedule-for-2013/

I notice that Cambers says that Fed is giving Basel a miss.  As the article is dated yesterday, then it seems that the negotiations for a considerably enhanced fee (around £700,000) may have broken down.  How my heart bleeds for him!

It really is sick inducing isn't it? i mean this is is home tournament, he should want to play for free let alone any ridiculous increase in appearance fees, what makes it worth is Fed fans totally think it is justifiable, nothing but a bunch of sheep who are quite prepared to ignore anything he ever does that smacks of an air of superiority, but then are quite happy to point the finger at any other tennis player who they think steps over the mark.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1373 on: November 22, 2012, 05:27 PM »

Respectfully beg to differ:

I can understand hating for the murder of your child, and it gives me chills to even think about it.. but to compare this to being (understandably) upset at Andy being booed by Fedfans is, quite frankly, obscene.
This surely is a whole other level of 'hate' we are talking about?

When I say similar I don't mean that the incidents are the same but that the notions behind it are the same - and that is, we can't stand when a wrong is done to the ones we love. It's the degrees however that vary. So the hate behind a person for murdering your child is far greater than let's say, someone bullying your kid at school. It will generate anger and hatred for both acts but the degrees will vary. I thought it was pretty simple to understand.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1374 on: November 22, 2012, 05:40 PM »

I may be far wrong, but I don't think the money is an issue for him. He seems to be determined to deny his decline. If he doesn't come to terms with it, it will all end in tears, and that very soon.  He needs to move on.

I do think he is in some sort of denial that he's declining and always trying to prove his naysayers wrong, but age does slow things down and eventually he'll realize. There’s no escaping it. I don't see though how that’s connecting to the money he's demanding though. He has cut down his schedule a bit for next year, so I think he’d be keen on making extra money by playing non-competitive tennis. He'll probably play two more years and then probably call it quits in 2015? Could be earlier depending on how things go next year.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1375 on: November 22, 2012, 05:51 PM »

It really is sick inducing isn't it? i mean this is is home tournament, he should want to play for free let alone any ridiculous increase in appearance fees, what makes it worth is Fed fans totally think it is justifiable, nothing but a bunch of sheep who are quite prepared to ignore anything he ever does that smacks of an air of superiority, but then are quite happy to point the finger at any other tennis player who they think steps over the mark.

I think that from the money making point and those who make big bucks, it's probably a very hard concept for them to not make money whatever possible way, if they can. Federer (and Tiger Woods too) is not the type of guy who's here for mankind. He only thinks about himself and wants to make sure that he's short of nothing not matter how old he gets. I believe the richer you get the more insecurity sets in. If you have something, you are always afraid to lose it.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1376 on: November 22, 2012, 06:21 PM »

I believe the richer you get the more insecurity sets in. If you have something, you are always afraid to lose it.
  How very true - Carnegie accrued his millions on the backs of the labouring poor then couldn't give it away fast enough. It wasn't the money he was afraid of losing, it was something else entirely.  He left us a great legacy, but part of the price was paid by the Pittsburgh steel workers.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1377 on: November 22, 2012, 08:53 PM »

If I was feeling generous I could analyse Federer's attitude as a situation of maybe he came from a poor background and is afraid of ever being in that situation again. I believe that can happen with people who have come from a level of poverty to a level of wealth. However, I don't think it is that complicated with him. It's not as if he needs to make sure his children are financially secure either.

To my mind it's all symptomatic of his 'everything is about me' attitude. Not only does he seem to think he is entitled to win, but he also would appear to think he can make silly demands. Good on Basel for standing up to him. It's quite bold really, to say no to a top player as 'popular' as Federer, in his home tournament too.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1378 on: November 23, 2012, 05:14 AM »

When I say similar I don't mean that the incidents are the same but that the notions behind it are the same - and that is, we can't stand when a wrong is done to the ones we love. It's the degrees however that vary. So the hate behind a person for murdering your child is far greater than let's say, someone bullying your kid at school. It will generate anger and hatred for both acts but the degrees will vary. I thought it was pretty simple to understand.
I guess we are coming to this subject from different angles, Emma..and I agree with you about making "..a stand when a wrong is done to the ones we love."

As you know, I have a son.
You have never shared with any of us here if you are a parent, or have any experience with having "someone bullying your kid at school" as you say.

My main problem is with the word "hate/hatred."

I still don't see any reason for this term to be acceptable when it comes down to someone we do not know personally.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Emperor Federer and the naked truth « Reply #1379 on: November 24, 2012, 02:17 AM »

If I was feeling generous I could analyse Federer's attitude as a situation of maybe he came from a poor background and is afraid of ever being in that situation again. I believe that can happen with people who have come from a level of poverty to a level of wealth. However, I don't think it is that complicated with him. It's not as if he needs to make sure his children are financially secure either.

To my mind it's all symptomatic of his 'everything is about me' attitude. Not only does he seem to think he is entitled to win, but he also would appear to think he can make silly demands. Good on Basel for standing up to him. It's quite bold really, to say no to a top player as 'popular' as Federer, in his home tournament too.
As I think I said earlier - I just don't get it.  If the article I read is correct then it would appear that his manager (rather amusingly a Mr Godsick) is the one who's pushing for the extra lolly whilst Roger is very upset that he can no longer participate in Basel.  If it means that much to him why doesn't he tell Mr G to stuff it?

According to what seems to be a fairly reliable source, Roger's total ATP career earnings as of May this year were $69m (£43,042,200) and that he has assets worth $140m (£87,332,000) - and he isn't finished yet!  In fairness though there is the Roger Federer Foundation which he set up in 2003, the aim of which is to promote the education of children in some of the most impoverished parts of Africa and to promote sports in Switzerland.  Admittedly much of the funding comes from the sale of merchandise and donations from sponsors and fans, but given the scale of the various projects it I'm sure some of it must come from himself. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 104 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »