Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Columns  >  The difference a year makes - from nearly man to British sporting legend 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

The difference a year makes - from nearly man to British sporting legend

(Read 1316 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Agree, Aileen. I particularly like the Andy dive shot - its technically brilliant and the scoreboard behind intensifies the atmosphere. The Nadal shot is very instructive, in all that action Rafas head is rock solid - totally locked on. A stunning portfolio.
Oh goodness - I see what you mean by the scoreboard!  I didn't notice that about Rafa though.  You sound as though you're quite a keen photographer yourself.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2013/dec/31/sports-photos-2013-tom-jenkins

Some wonderful pics here. Andy comes in at 1 and 2, with gr8 commentary from Tom.
Thankx for the report TMH.
Bizarrely also includes a picture of a former footballer for the football club I support.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 03, 2014, 11:32 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Oh goodness - I see what you mean by the scoreboard!  I didn't notice that about Rafa though.  You sound as though you're quite a keen photographer yourself.
   Used to do all my own developing and printing, many moons ago, I wouldn't call myself keen now though, although i am currently on a project photographing Edinburgh's statues.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Why Edinburgh's statues?  Any particular reason - like is it for a book or something?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Glad u r enjoying them folks.
Think they are amazing.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Why Edinburgh's statues?  Any particular reason - like is it for a book or something?
   Very Happy No, although their stories are often fascinating. Not just the subjects, but how and why they came to be where they are.  And some of the sculptural detail is remarkable. It all began when I suddenly noticed the Melville Monument in St Andrew Square despite being aware of it for years. The most pretentious statue in the city of a once all-powerful man who is now all but forgotten.  But all this is way off-topic, and doesn't even merit a thread until Andy's statue appears!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Very Happy No, although their stories are often fascinating. Not just the subjects, but how and why they came to be where they are.  And some of the sculptural detail is remarkable. It all began when I suddenly noticed the Melville Monument in St Andrew Square despite being aware of it for years. The most pretentious statue in the city of a once all-powerful man who is now all but forgotten.  But all this is way off-topic, and doesn't even merit a thread until Andy's statue appears!!
To my everlasting shame I have to admit having never paid much attention to the monument and in fact have only just looked up the history of it online.  Of course I know who Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville was, but if you don't already know this, you might find this (about the structure of the column) interesting - "The overall structure was designed by William Burn, which he modeled after Trajan’s Column in Rome. The statue that sits atop pillar, meanwhile, was created by Robert Forrest and Francis Chantrey. Weighing in at over 1500 tons, the Melville Monument was so massive that special considerations had to be taken for the foundation to support its mass. Robert Stevenson, a respected lighthouse engineer and also grandfather to the author Robert Louis Stevenson, used the first line balance crane ever built to erect the towering edifice. The column was finished in 1823, while the statue had to wait until 1828 until being put into place."

Let's hope that the LTA don't take that long to put Andy's statue up!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

That is incredibly interesting to me, Fiverlings.

I have a keen interest in statues/monuments/buildings and their historical background.

A good example would be the impressive William Wallace statue outside His Majesty's Theatre in Aberdeen. I passed by it mony a time and never gave it a thought.. until the Braveheart movie.

There's so many statues/monuments/cairn/circles in the UK.

I will post my pics of WW and the history behind the statue in Off Topic thread, so as we don't derail Luke's more-than-impressive work in his column.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

That is incredibly interesting to me, Fiverlings.

I have a keen interest in statues/monuments/buildings and their historical background.

A good example would be the impressive William Wallace statue outside His Majesty's Theatre in Aberdeen. I passed by it mony a time and never gave it a thought.. until the Braveheart movie.

There's so many statues/monuments/cairn/circles in the UK.

I will post my pics of WW and the history behind the statue in Off Topic thread, so as we don't derail Luke's more-than-impressive work in his column.
   Thanks for that. I remember that Aberdeen Wallace statue well - I used to pass it twice a day for years on my way to and from University from my digs in Beechgrove Terrace. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Thanks for that. I remember that Aberdeen Wallace statue well - I used to pass it twice a day for years on my way to and from University from my digs in Beechgrove Terrace. 
Scotnadian moved this subject to the off-topic thread where it more rightly belongs.  She'll be only too happy to have a discussion with you about this on there. Smile  - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/chit-chat/t14531/7440/
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Scotnadian moved this subject to the off-topic thread where it more rightly belongs.  She'll be only too happy to have a discussion with you about this on there. Smile  - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/chit-chat/t14531/7440/
You hustling part time as a moderator .
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »