Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  Calling all computer freaks :o)... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Calling all computer freaks :o)...

 (Read 1301 times)
Banannie
Veteran
******
Posts: 7,362

Gender: Female
Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « on: January 09, 2006, 06:59 PM »
Reply

Basically something has just happened to my laptop, and i was wondering if there is anyone who can tell me what i did/how to possibly fix it  confused .....
Basically, i plugged in a wireless thing that plugs into my laptop via a USB slot...... and suddenly bang, the laptop died, and screen went black. It is now completely screwed, i can't even turn it on ......
Anyone got any idea  confused Bearing in mind this is a brand new laptop, 3 weeks old, and as far as i know i haven't done anything to damage it....
IP Logged
maisy_moppy
Junior
*
Posts: 124

Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 07:06 PM »
Reply

Mac or Pc???
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac
*
Posts: 53,078

Gender: Male
Location: London


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 07:07 PM »
Reply

More detail, you saying it doesn't ACTUALLY turn on or it turns on but a message comes up before Windows loads etc. or you can hear it but see nothing.
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran
******
Posts: 7,362

Gender: Female
Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Reply

Hear nothing..... i'm talking literally, absolutely nothing happens, no message nothing  no
IP Logged
maisy_moppy
Junior
*
Posts: 124

Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 07:16 PM »
Reply

U may hav 2 reboot the operating system....
It couldn't hav been the battery could it?
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran
******
Posts: 7,362

Gender: Female
Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Reply

Quote from: "maisy_moppy"
It couldn't hav been the battery could it?


Do you mean run out of battery.... or something wrong with the actual battery?

Btw, thanks for your thoughts guys Very Happy
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac
*
Posts: 53,078

Gender: Male
Location: London


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 07:28 PM »
Reply

It's is very worrying if you are saying the whole thing doesn't respond in the slightest, doesn't even initially start up.

If this is happening whilst the Laptop is plugged into the mains then I can only jump to the conclusion that you shorted the motherboard by causing a spark or static when putting in the wireless card. But that sounds too far fetched with just inserting something into a USB port.

You SURE it's actually fully recharged and plugged in?
IP Logged
maisy_moppy
Junior
*
Posts: 124

Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Reply

Quote from: "Banannie"
Quote from: "maisy_moppy"
It couldn't hav been the battery could it?


Do you mean run out of battery.... or something wrong with the actual battery?

Btw, thanks for your thoughts guys Very Happy


Could it hav run out of battery??
There mayb sumthin wrong with the actual battery but it is unlikey...
Could you hav downloaded a bad virus by accident?
I'm not sure soz...
I'll ask my dad if I remember
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran
******
Posts: 7,362

Gender: Female
Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Reply

Quote from: "Mark"
It's is very worrying if you are saying the whole thing doesn't respond in the slightest, doesn't even initially start up.

If this is happening whilst the Laptop is plugged into the mains then I can only jump to the conclusion that you shorted the motherboard by causing a spark or static when putting in the wireless card. But that sounds too far fetched with just inserting something into a USB port.

You SURE it's actually fully recharged and plugged in?


It was fully charged before it went..... and is still plugged in. The wireless thing i have is this  which just plugs into the USB, like any other USB things would..... So i'm guessing it's completely screwed right?  no
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac
*
Posts: 53,078

Gender: Male
Location: London


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Reply

Without being there, I'm jumping to the conclusion it is screwed but I find it hard to believe that a USB device like that could short circuit your laptop. You'll probably discover it is something very simple.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac
*
Posts: 53,078

Gender: Male
Location: London


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 07:35 PM »
Reply

When it's plugged in there is no lights on at all? Not even the charging light?
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran
******
Posts: 7,362

Gender: Female
Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Reply

If i un-plug it, then plug it in again two lights flash on, then off again..... the charging light and one which has a picture that looks a bit like a moon (sorry - i have no idea what this is Very Happy)

Thanks for your ideas Mark...... greatly appreciated Very Happy
IP Logged
maisy_moppy
Junior
*
Posts: 124

Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Reply

I'm afraid I hav no ideas.
It is unbelievable in a way that a USB port could muck up your comp so much.....
U sure it was compatible, but even then, it shouldn't have had that reaction...
Ummm, I'll think about it
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran
******
Posts: 7,362

Gender: Female
Location: UK


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Reply

Quote from: "maisy_moppy"
I'm afraid I hav no ideas.
It is unbelievable in a way that a USB port could muck up your comp so much.....
U sure it was compatible, but even then, it shouldn't have had that reaction...
Ummm, I'll think about it


Thanks Izzy!!! But i'm sure it is compatible.... i have been using it for the last two and a half weeks!!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac
*
Posts: 53,078

Gender: Male
Location: London


Calling all computer freaks :o)... « Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Reply

Quote from: "Banannie"
If i un-plug it, then plug it in again two lights flash on, then off again..... the charging light and one which has a picture that looks a bit like a moon (sorry - i have no idea what this is Very Happy)

Thanks for your ideas Mark...... greatly appreciated Very Happy


That's something at least, try turning it on with it all plugged in but the battery removed.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »