Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  Chit Chat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Chit Chat

(Read 626 times)
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Chit Chat « on: March 14, 2006, 11:33 PM »

Its not a life or death problem, its just on the Chit Chat section when a message gets posted and it shows up on the message board index as a new thread, once I've the posts in Chit Chat and go back to the main message board it still says theres a new post and when I check there isn't.  So I keeping having to select "Mark all posts as read" even though they have been read, if you get me?  Just thought I'd let you know.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 12:18 AM »

Okay thanks Amy - can anyone confirm this is happening?

And Amy, when you read a topic and press 'Back', it doesn't update the page, you need to refresh it manually.
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 01:00 AM »

yeah that was happening to me earlier as well (and when refreshing the page, not pressing back)
IP Logged
arka
Re: Chit Chat « Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 05:55 AM »

I confirm this Mark, this sometimes happens to me too. But this is not limited to Chit Chat for me, this happens everywhere.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:27 AM »

How frequently does this happen - I've never had it before...

So once you've read all the new posts in 'Chit Chat' and you go back to the forum index (and have clicked refresh) - you still see 'Chit Chat' as having new posts? If this is the case: Next time this happens, refresh the forum index > click the blue image next to the section and tell me what happens (because that is meant to tell you only the news posts).
IP Logged
arka
Re: Chit Chat « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 08:32 AM »

It was happening just a few moments ago. I had read the thread "pic problem" in "your photos" board. But it was marking it as a new post. It happens quite frequently for me.

Even if I click it again, at times it still tells me it is new.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 08:52 AM »

Yep, often happens for me too
IP Logged
arka
Re: Chit Chat « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 11:06 AM »

Mark, problem occuring again, this time with the Nasdaq100 thread. I did what you told me to do, but that does not check it.
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:29 AM »

this happened to me once or twice when the board first started working...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 05:42 PM »

I think this is because I used a hack on the board to make it do something it wasn't designed for - I'll reverse it soon.

Remember when someone said that the blue image would go away even when there were still new posts in the forum? That is actually meant to happen, its the way its designed. It's meant to only tell you with that blue image if there are new posts since your last visit.

But with the old forum, it would keep it highlighted until you read every single unread thread. So I did a hack to make it work like the old forum but clearly its causing problems.
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 02:09 PM »

sorry for being annoting but its now irritating that if u read one unread thread in a forum and then go back to the main index the whole forum is marked as unread. i understand if theres nothing u can do about it but just thought i would point it out anyway
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 02:42 PM »

I've reverted back to the default way of handling new posts now. Like I said earlier, it was a bit of a hack that isn't officially meant to be done but someone asked for it as it would then be more like the old forum.

So right now it should be fixed BUT it will only show the blue image when there are new posts since your last visit. But when you go into the forum section, the new posts will still show as new just not in the main forum index.

This was discussed in the SMF forums and most people seem to think that is the best system for a forum, maybe not on MW just yet, but when it gets really busy here (which it will do), then you may end up preferring it over the old system.
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 02:43 PM »

yeah thats whats happening. obv didnt explain it very clearly tho
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 03:46 PM »

I'll try and get some SMF expert to see if a hack can be implemented flawlessly - until then you'll have to get used to default way now.

Does everyone prefer having it show blue until EVERY new post has been read (like the old forums)?

or do you prefer it like it is right now where it will only show blue if a post has been done since your list visit?

I personally prefer it like the old forum, makes you want to read it all Wink
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Re: Chit Chat « Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 03:52 PM »

I like the old way definitely - because sometimes, for example if you post in a thread, and then go straight to the forum index, there could be another new post in the board - and you could miss it!  shocking Does that make sense?

And, have you been changing the picture at the top Mark, it's changed colour for me?  Wink

Also.....can you post a picture from your computer straight to the boards any more, or do you have to upload it to an image hosting thing?
[ Last edit by Banannie March 16, 2006, 03:54 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »