Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  I need to delete my account 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

I need to delete my account

(Read 2226 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

I need to delete my account « Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 08:05 PM »

Huh? Sorry, dont understand that....explaination would be appreciated. Though if you aren't using your own PC in your own time I think you cant complain if your employer etc complains.

You said to ttrules about people not being able to find out who he is. I was just telling you that it's easier than you think.

It was my PC and it was in my own time, in my home. I got sent some staff emails by mistake, so I posted them + my reply, just for a laugh.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 08:27 PM »

I doubt it's easier than Tally thinks. You posted up a personal email conversation with real names of lecturers so it's not really that surprising you got identified considering Google probably indexed the page within 24 hours. We may not know the search terms that triggered that page to show in Google so we probably can't know if it's likely they found you that way but it's very plausible.
[ Last edit by Mark February 11, 2009, 08:35 PM ] IP Logged
TCK
Challenger Level

A Miserable Little Pile Of BULL ****!

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 08:42 PM »

I think the reasons given for not deleting accounts are very unconvincing and quite amusing and is more  likely to do with a loss of bragging rights regarding membership numbers.
Oh no, a drop of total membership from 1480 to 1470!  Whatever will Murraysworld do now?
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 08:47 PM »

I doubt it's easier than Tally thinks. You posted up a personal email conversation with real names of lecturers so it's not really that surprising you got identified considering Google probably indexed the page within 24 hours. We may not know the search terms that triggered that page to show in Google so we probably can't know if it's likely they found you that way but it's very plausible.

The point is that if people want to find out who you are, it's not all that hard. I found out a bunch of **** about a poster on here within an hour.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 08:59 PM »

It all depends on what that person revealed - you revealed quite a lot by posting up those emails, ttrules has revealed nothing. Even by knowing his hidden email address and IP location, I can't know who he is until he says something revealing. For a regular user, it's even more impossible.

So, it can be fairly easy for a member to give away their identifiy through a revealing post but probably not easier than you think Tally thinks.
[ Last edit by Mark February 11, 2009, 09:05 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 09:06 PM »

It all depends on what that person revealed - you revealed quite a lot by posting up those emails, ttrules has revealed nothing. Even by knowing his hidden email address and IP location, I can't know who he is until he says something revealing. For a regular user, it's even more impossible.

So, it can be fairly easy for a regular member to give away their identifiy through a revealing post but probably not easier than you think Tally thinks.

I have no idea what ttrules has given away. I'm not much for deleting accounts. I think it's better to delete posts if there is a good reason for it.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 09:09 PM »

I know. Part of forum life I suppose. It's way too much hassle to delete accounts ( I speak from being an Administrator of another,non tennis related, site). Why on earth should we be responsible for deleting someone's posts? Maybe a lesson to think before you press a submit button.

Because we're not all perfect. Sometimes we make mistakes and post things we shouldn't. It's not about you being responsible for deleting posts. It's about having the decency to delete someone's posts if they have a good reason, rather than trying to teach them a lesson.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 09:10 PM »

Tally was only saying it's not our responsibility and that's true... if we delete posts by request of a member who has left the forum then that is based on generosity, not responsibility.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 09:14 PM »

Tally was only saying it's not our responsibility and that's true... if we delete posts by request of a member who has left the forum then that is due to our generosity.

No one said it was your responsibility. I'm irritated at implication that they should be left there for all to see in order to teach someone a lesson. It has nothing to do with generosity or kindness. It is common decency to, you know, not cost someone their job or their place at university simply because it's a minor inconvenience for you. We all make mistakes and I don't think it's right that your members should be punished for minor transgressions.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 09:17 PM »

Who suggested it should be left as some sort of punishment?

You have to consider that in many cases it's unfair to have the admin spend resources on helping members who have left the community. On a large forum, that admin should be using his/her resources to improve the experience for existing members, not helping those who have left.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 09:23 PM »

Who suggested it should be left as some sort of punishment?

You have to consider that in many cases it's unfair to have the admin spend resources on helping members who have left the community. On a large forum, that admin should be using his/her resources to improve the experience for existing members, not helping those who have left.

What bull****. You're talking as if you spend all your time on here improving the forum. I'm sure you can spare a few minutes to remove some posts.

As for your first point, Tally said:

"Why on earth should we be responsible for deleting someone's posts? Maybe a lesson to think before you press a submit button."

That, to me, implies that the admin should not be expected to remove posts and perhaps that person will learn a lesson if the posts are not removed.
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 09:32 PM »

No one said it was your responsibility. I'm irritated at implication that they should be left there for all to see in order to teach someone a lesson. It has nothing to do with generosity or kindness. It is common decency to, you know, not cost someone their job or their place at university simply because it's a minor inconvenience for you. We all make mistakes and I don't think it's right that your members should be punished for minor transgressions.

Clydey I am not being dogmatic about this. I was just speaking from experence. I know how much hassle it is to remove one person's posts, unless Mark has a sooper dooper site, it would mean deleting post by post.

And, if you dont mind me saying that was a bit of an own goal wasn't it?  Think . You may think you're anonymous, but you only have to state a few facts and wham, bam, people are going to realise who you are in real life. You've probably mentioned you post on a Murray board. ( if you haven't then you have my sincere apologies Embarassed Likewise I am not criticising you per se.

But looking at the increase in bosses checking out prospective applicants and judging them by their profiles on Facebook and Bebo etc, I think you have to be really careful with what you put in cyberspace. It may come back to haunt you.

Just an old fogie's opinion. Believe me if I'd posted or even given an account of my doings during Uni I would never have had a job!! blink

I am pretty free as I cant see the Government taking my pension away because I've been ranting on a message board, so GO Me!
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 09:36 PM »

As for your first point, Tally said:

"Why on earth should we be responsible for deleting someone's posts? Maybe a lesson to think before you press a submit button."

That, to me, implies that the admin should not be expected to remove posts and perhaps that person will learn a lesson if the posts are not removed.

Bingo! Exactly what I meant. But I hate to be personal so I'm speaking generally. It's just something to consider.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 09:42 PM »

Clydey I am not being dogmatic about this. I was just speaking from experence. I know how much hassle it is to remove one person's posts, unless Mark has a sooper dooper site, it would mean deleting post by post.

And, if you dont mind me saying that was a bit of an own goal wasn't it?  Think . You may think you're anonymous, but you only have to state a few facts and wham, bam, people are going to realise who you are in real life. You've probably mentioned you post on a Murray board. ( if you haven't then you have my sincere apologies Embarassed Likewise I am not criticising you per se.

But looking at the increase in bosses checking out prospective applicants and judging them by their profiles on Facebook and Bebo etc, I think you have to be really careful with what you put in cyberspace. It may come back to haunt you.

Just an old fogie's opinion. Believe me if I'd posted or even given an account of my doings during Uni I would never have had a job!! blink

I am pretty free as I cant see the Government taking my pension away because I've been ranting on a message board, so GO Me!

No, I didn't mention anything about posting on a Murray site to lecturers. They knew nothing about me, since it was the Paisley campus. The person from the Hamilton campus had no clue about what happened on here.

It's easy to say that it was an "own goal" in retrospect. No one, and I mean no one, would have expected the university to track unimportant e-mails to a Murray website. Mark will doubtless reply and suggest that he would have expected it.

Either way, we all make mistakes. And I wouldn't expect a forum admin to risk a member's university placement because they can't be bothered to delete a few posts. I don't care how inconvenient it is for them. If it was me, it wouldn't even be a question. I would never, under any circumstances, risk someone's career prospects to either teach them a lesson or because it was a minor inconvenience. I find it astounding that anyone is arguing against that point.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 09:45 PM »

Bingo! Exactly what I meant. But I hate to be personal so I'm speaking generally. It's just something to consider.

So you would risk someone's career prospects to teach them a lesson? No, it is not something to consider. We all make mistakes. If a forum admin cost me my BA just to teach me a lesson, let's just say that I wouldn't be best pleased.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »