Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  I need to delete my account 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

I need to delete my account

(Read 1869 times)
Scottie
World No 1

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 09:46 PM »

The point is that if people want to find out who you are, it's not all that hard. I found out a bunch of sh*t about a poster on here within an hour.

STALKER ALERT!!!!!!
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 09:47 PM »

STALKER ALERT!!!!!!

No, we were given permission. It was a challenge issued by the person.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 09:48 PM »

Hmm, I seem to remember something like that.  Ok, we'll let you off this time!!
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 09:49 PM »

Hmm, I seem to remember something like that.  Ok, we'll let you off this time!!

lol
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06 PM »

So you would risk someone's career prospects to teach them a lesson? No, it is not something to consider. We all make mistakes. If a forum admin cost me my BA just to teach me a lesson, let's just say that I wouldn't be best pleased.

No, that's not at all what I meant, stop twisting my words.

If you need certain specific posts removed then that's perfectly OK and reasonable.

All I'm trying to point out is that you have to be so careful what you write online these days. For Facebook and Bebo to have such an influence in the workplace is frightening, but a fact of life.

Thank god that not even t'interwebby was not even a pipedream in my day.

I certainly dont want your career prospects ruined to "teach you a lesson!" That's not how I work. I wish you every sucess.

Just keep from posting potentially explosive things ( not that I've seen a thing that could be classified as such from you) but I dont read many threads so I dont know.

PAX??
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 10:08 PM »

What bullsh*t. You're talking as if you spend all your time on here improving the forum. I'm sure you can spare a few minutes to remove some posts.
Read my post again, I was not referring to myself or this forum. On large forums you would be regularly dealing with these types of requests, moderators should not be using their resources if it stops them doing a better job for their existing members.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 10:15 PM »

Read my post again, I was not referring to myself or this forum. On large forums you would be regularly dealing with these types of requests, moderators should not be using their resources if it stops them doing a better job for their existing members.

Large forums have enough bodies to deal with the extra work. Removing some posts does not take much time. Admins/moderators do not spend every second of their time online improving a forum. In fact, very little time is actually spent moderating.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 10:17 PM »

Large forums have enough bodies to deal with the extra work. Removing some posts does not take much time. Admins/moderators do not spend every second of their time online improving a forum.
I don't pretend to know the staff situation of every large forum that exists but I assure you, there are many large forums where the moderators are not paid and therefore have a 9-5 job and therefore have limited time to offer their services. They need to prioritise and by doing that, I can see them having to ignore requests from members who are leaving.

In fact, very little time is actually spent moderating.
Imagine MTF, now imagine an MTF that has moderators enforcing the most common rules found on forums - it would be one hell of a job and remember, these moderators deserve a bit of casual browsing time themselves.
[ Last edit by Mark February 11, 2009, 10:23 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 10:18 PM »

No, that's not at all what I meant, stop twisting my words.

If you need certain specific posts removed then that's perfectly OK and reasonable.

All I'm trying to point out is that you have to be so careful what you write online these days. For Facebook and Bebo to have such an influence in the workplace is frightening, but a fact of life.

Thank god that not even t'interwebby was not even a pipedream in my day.

I certainly dont want your career prospects ruined to "teach you a lesson!" That's not how I work. I wish you every sucess.

Just keep from posting potentially explosive things ( not that I've seen a thing that could be classified as such from you) but I dont read many threads so I dont know.

PAX??

I wasn't twisting your words. You didn't distinguish between removing all posts and simply a few posts.

"Why on earth should we be responsible for deleting someone's posts? Maybe a lesson to think before you press a submit button."

What's PAX?
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 10:23 PM »

What's PAX?

Very Happy     Latin for PEACE

See what a neducashion can do for you! Wink
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 10:23 PM »

I don't pretend to know the staff situation of every large forum that exists but I assure you, there are many large forums where the moderators are not paid and therefore have a 9-5 job and therefore have limited time to offer their services. They need to prioritise and by doing that, I can see them having to ignore requests from members who are leaving.
Imagine MTF, now imagine MTF that actually enforces rules.

I used to moderate a large forum and I assure you that a lot of my time was spent posting. You can only do your job when there is actually something to do. You're getting nowhere with this argument, Mark. No one is under the impression that moderators don't have time to remove a few posts. Even if they do have other priorities, they can remove the posts when they have a spare few minutes. It's a losing argument.

And MTF does enforce rules. Have you ever been on there? It's one of the strictest forums around.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 10:25 PM »

I read MTF regularly and see swear words and personal insults on pretty much every other post, if they do enforce rules then their moderators are short on time... oh wait, that just proves my point.

I don't care if you moderated a large forum, that means nothing because it comes down to what type of characters tend to join the forum. MurraysWorld generally attracts mature and sensible people and therefore moderating is piss easy but on many large forums the moderators have to spend a lot of time editing posts, sending PMs to members warning them and even discussing issues with them. It's very time consuming when you consider people with a 9-5 job and who want a bit of time to themselves as well.
[ Last edit by Mark February 11, 2009, 10:36 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 10:36 PM »

I read MTF regularly and see swear words and personal insults on pretty much every other post, if they do enforce rules then their moderators are short on time... oh wait, that just proves my point.

I don't care if you moderatored a large forum, that means nothing because it comes down to what type of characters tend to join the forum. MurraysWorld generally attracts mature and sensible people and therefore moderating is piss easy but on many large forums the moderators have to spend a lot of time editing posts, sending PMs to members warning them and even discussing issues with them. It's very time consuming when you consider people with a 9-5 job and who want a bit of time to themselves as well.

I used to moderate a boxing forum. Go read Saddoboxing.com and then come back and tell me that my experience as a moderator means nothing. lol

You obviously don't read MTF often, Mark. It is moderated to the point that people complain regularly. People are constantly warned for personal insults. I received an infraction for calling someone a "fuckhead". Go ask someone about RagingLamb, a GM moderator. There's a reason people think of him as MTF's answer to Hitler.

You're not fooling anyone with this daft argument that moderators can't spare a few minutes to remove some posts. Even in the most extreme circumstances, they can just remove posts when they have like 10 minutes free.

You are assuming that all moderators have a long day at work, come on the forum and spend hours trying to improve the forum. It's just not like that and you know it's not. You just can't admit when you're wrong.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 10:45 PM »

You obviously don't read MTF often, Mark.
Clydey, I'm not lying to you... I read MTF regularly and often see you post on it. On every visit I see swear words all over the place including older posts, that to me suggests the moderators are low on time or the board is low on staff, either one of those scenarios backs up what I was getting at. Feel free to once again suggest I'm lying but I'm telling you my true experiences and I accept yours might be different.

You're not fooling anyone with this daft argument that moderators can't spare a few minutes to remove some posts. Even in the most extreme circumstances, they can just remove posts when they have like 10 minutes free.
I think the arguments I have given are convincing and it's good to know that another administrator has backed those up.... I'll leave it to the readers of this forum to decide if the arguments Tally and I have given are "daft".

You are assuming that all moderators have a long day at work, come on the forum and spend hours trying to improve the forum. It's just not like that and you know it's not. You just can't admit when you're wrong.
No, I assume moderators come home from work, spend just a couple of hours doing their moderator duties, which often means replying to members who have been seeking assitance ealier that day. Of course within the time period of them being technically online they may not have hundreds of posts to moderate but they will have jobs to do that have accumulated in that day.
[ Last edit by Mark February 11, 2009, 10:48 PM ] IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: I need to delete my account « Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 10:48 PM »

Saddo boxing rules!!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »