Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  Post removal requests 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

Post removal requests

(Read 1130 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 09:33 PM »

Neil,

Amy and I were referring to when you posted very private incidents to do with your relationship with her. The grey area I am referring to is whether it is acceptable for someone to then copy the contents of that post, which broke privacy rules, and post it themselves.

The discussion before that was regarding Andrew posting up her name, in that instance Andrew has a right to do that because Amy volentarily posted that private information about herself previously. There is no grey area there.
[ Last edit by Mark February 23, 2009, 09:41 PM ] IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 09:40 PM »

Neil,

Amy and I were referring to when you posted very private incidents to do with your relationship with her. The grey area I am referring to is whether it is acceptable for someone to then copy the contents of that post, which broke privacy rule, and post it themselves.

The discussion before that was regarding Andrew posting up her name, in that instance Andrew has a right to do that because Amy volentarily posted that private information about herself previously. There is no grey area there.

Oh i see. I thought you were referring to the latter sort of thing in general lol

Well in that case, there's also no gray area. After all, the content of those posts was removed, so however long they were there for, they should not be re-produced in the future surely?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 09:43 PM »

It's not that simple because the moment the rule breaking post is submitted, the contents of that post immediately becomes public domain and therefore technically it would not break the rules for someone else to repost it. So it is a grey area in that sense...
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 11:02 PM »

It's not that simple because the moment the rule breaking post is submitted, the contents of that post immediately becomes public domain and therefore technically it would not break the rules for someone else to repost it. So it is a grey area in that sense...

But if the content is subsequently removed then surely people can't re-post it.

For example, say I copied info that Sarah has removed at the start of this thread, then re-posted it after it's removal, surely I should be told off because it was removed for a reason. technicalities or not. Just common decency no?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 11:06 PM »

Yes the person shouldn't post it and that is why there is a conflict. Technically another person is allowed to re-post the rule breaking material because it has automatically become public domain but it shouldn't be public domain so that person shouldn't be posting it.
IP Logged
rafa
Grand Slam Champion

We have unlimited juice?This party is off the hook

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 11:10 PM »

Mark, can you remove all of your posts....I find them embarrassing! Wink
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12 PM »

Brilliant discussion.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12 PM »

By your logic, Mark, maybe the original post which broke the rules shouldn't be removed, since the info in it is now in the public domain. All you could do is punish the person for doing it.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 11:18 PM »

By your logic, Mark, maybe the original post which broke the rules shouldn't be removed, since the info in it is now in the public domain. All you could do is punish the person for doing it.
Yes, this is not straight forward, even Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook has admitted that these privacy issues lead to difficult decisions.

People want full ownership and control of their information so they can turn off access to it at any time. At the same time, people also want to be able to bring the information others have shared with them—like email addresses, phone numbers, photos and so on—to other services and grant those services access to those people's information. These two positions are at odds with each other. There is no system today that enables me to share my email address with you and then simultaneously lets me control who you share it with and also lets you control what services you share it with.

We're at an interesting point in the development of the open online world where these issues are being worked out. It's difficult terrain to navigate and we're going to make some missteps...
[ Last edit by Mark February 23, 2009, 11:22 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 11:23 PM »

Mark Zuckerberg? You mean THE Mark Zuckerberg?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 11:25 PM »

Yes, I just spoke to him on MSN and he wrote that to me Whistle
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 11:27 PM »

Yes, I just spoke to him on MSN and he wrote that to me Whistle

Mark Zuckerberg's too busy attending parties and celebrity events to use MSN.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Post removal requests « Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 11:29 PM »

Yes, that's what he tells the people he blocks on MSN, ignorance is bliss Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »